Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Here is my advice...

Save up your money to buy a car.
    Then get a good job.
    An undergraduate degree will help with that a lot.

After you you have your life in hand and moving forward, go get a handgun for defense.

In the meantime, go to harbor freight and buy a machete for under $20. I think they'll ship it to you.

Almost no one willingly enters an apartment with malice- where the resident is armed with a machete.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Not sure how you can compare a 12-20ga power to a 410. If you could, most would hunt deer with one an not a 12 or 20. A long gun in any apartment being small is better than nothing if u feel possibly threatened where u live an have no choice but to live the at this time. A 410 will do damage with half the power of bigger bore shotguns. Yea it will blow a hole in the wall if close enough but the distance pattern is different. People i see are telling u to save for a car, move to a bricked building and such. That info shouldn't be said as u have to live with what u have currently. A 22 isn't an idea cause you need to point an shoot an a moments notice if needed with out a direct aim. A pump 410 would suit you fine. You want the shortest barrle sold. In the old days you could have a sawed off shotgun(scatter gun) like grandma had.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    I wonder how many pieces of sheetrock my 40S&W would penetrate. I'd be surprised if it didn't "perform" just as well/better then the buckshot in penetrating.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I wonder how many pieces of sheetrock my 40S&W would penetrate. I'd be surprised if it didn't "perform" just as well/better then the buckshot in penetrating.

It would. Pistol bullets are quite efficient in punching through drywall. Hollow points tend to clog up and not expand as a result. Hence the barrier penetration testing of bullets.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    But it wouldn't be enough to "stop" a person Hell bent on doing you harm.

I just don't buy that one bit.
    I saw an episode of "Cops" several years ago, with a bad guy who had broken into a house with two women and with severe malice aforethought (there was a Hi-Point 9mm on the floor next to his carcass) who was well and most assuredly dead from a shotgun blast of birdshot thanks to a neighbor who saw what was happening and saved the day.
    The hundred or so tiny pellet holes were clearly visible in the wall around the bad guy (obviously, at least two shots had been fired), and the bad guy had taken a full charge of the "inferior" bird shot to the torso.
    Buckshot doesn't make nearly that many holes, and when it does, the holes aren't smaller in diameter than the guts of a Bic pen.
    I think that a lot of the skepticism about the efficacy of birdshot comes from assuming distances greater than the 20 feet or less typical of inside the home defense distance.
    Beyond 20 feet, especially outdoors, or thereabouts would definitely give buckshot a decisive advantage over birdshot.

Last edited:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Can a person die as a result of birdshot in a shotgun? Yes!
    For that matter does .380 kill people? Yes!
    Is there such a thing as a psychological stop? You bet!
    Can any gun, including .22, be used for self defense? Absolutely!!!!
    Are these the best choice? .............

Let me rephrase, the only thing between a very bad person and your family is what is in your hands. What do you want that to be?

trucker777

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2014
    WESTVILLE
    I just don't buy that one bit.
    I saw an episode of "Cops" several years ago, with a bad guy who had broken into a house with two women and with severe malice aforethought (there was a Hi-Point 9mm on the floor next to his carcass) who was well and most assuredly dead from a shotgun blast of birdshot thanks to a neighbor who saw what was happening and saved the day.
    The hundred or so tiny pellet holes were clearly visible in the wall around the bad guy (obviously, at least two shots had been fired), and the bad guy had taken a full charge of the "inferior" bird shot to the torso.
    Buckshot doesn't make nearly that many holes, and when it does, the holes aren't smaller in diameter than the guts of a Bic pen.
    I think that a lot of the skepticism about the efficacy of birdshot comes from assuming distances greater than the 20 feet or less typical of inside the home defense distance.
    Beyond 20 feet, especially outdoors, or thereabouts would definitely give buckshot a decisive advantage over birdshot.

That is correct. A blast of birdshot at close range( i.e., inside an apartment dwelling) to the head or torso is enough to ruin any assailants day without having to worry too much about any neighbors. It may or may not permanently "stop" the bad guy, but it will certainly buy you time for follow up shots to end the threat or to make your escape if need be.

...also the psychological effect of the sound of a pump shotgun "racking a round" is sometimes enough to deter any would be threat.
    You could also get some beanbag or other less lethal rounds for it if neighbors are too much of a concern.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom