• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dolton916

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    Porter County
    I did a search and really found nothing that seemed to answer this question, I have astigmatism, and my vision is corrected to 20/20 but for anything up close I need reading glasses 1.0 works fine.

I've always shot rifles and just purchased my first pistol a FNX 45. The problem I'm having is I can choose to see the pistol sights, contacts in and reading glasses on, or see the target, contacts only. I get good results with the focus on the pistol, most groups around 2.5 to 3"s they're just not aways where I want them.

Has anybody found a real remedy? I'm coming to the conclusion it's Lasik...

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Maybe a set of Bifocals but have them made backwards. Put the close up correction towards the topnof the lens instead of at tbe bottom like normal. That way when you drop your head into a shooting position and bring your eyes up, the sight picture is a very clear front sight.

I read aboit this from Masad Ayoob

rotortech

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Indianapolis
    What snorko said: Your eyes can only focus on one thing. You can either focus on the front sight or the target but not both at the same time. For better results you should focus on the front sight. No one can focus on both at the same time.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    What snorko said: Your eyes can only focus on one thing. You can either focus on the front sight or the target but not both at the same time. For better results you should focus on the front sight. No one can focus on both at the same time.

This is exactly what we teach new shooters in the NSSF's (National Shooting Sports Foundation) "First-Shots" program.

Focus on your front sight.

nebulous

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2013
    Indianapolis
    If one eye is better than the other, you could attempt to use the other eye as your dominant eye, but that may be harder than it sounds.

jtwilson3

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    I am excited to get Lasik but I am only 22 and my eyes have to stop deteriorating. Just for info I have -8.0 eyes, and astimatism in one and a lazy eye in the other. It's not really a fix but I got Crimson trace laser grips for my gun for nighttime.. I had to figure out if at night I want to reach for my glasses and then find my gun, or just find my gun and be able to see a red laser in the nighttime. For daytime and outside this isn't a fix but I don't have a huge issue with that in seeing. But yeah I hear everyone and was taught to just focus on the front sight like this:
    Handgunning-Front-Sight-Correct-300x210.jpg

marv

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Gatchel, IN
    Focus on the target and align those fuzzy sights on it. Someday the target may be shooting back. You want to see what the target is doing.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I did Lasik and my distance vision is fine but I need readers to do up close stuff. I got a pair of shooting glasses with 1.5 magnifiers in them and that sharpens up the front sight when I shoot pistols. If I don't wear them the front sight is blurry.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    Focus on the target and align those fuzzy sights on it. Someday the target may be shooting back. You want to see what the target is doing.

Chances are, if you focus on the target, you'll forget about sight alignment. Some suggest a focus on the target, moving to the front sight before breaking the shot. So, rough alignment: target focus; final alignment: front sight focus. But, for a newer shooter, acquiring that front sight as the primary thought is key. I know of no successful combat maneuver that uses the target as focus except "pray and spray".

PMR

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    NWI, Cedar Lake
    I'm having a similar problem, I need tri-focals but they just don't fit in a stylish frame so I go with bi-focals. If I go LASIK I will still need readers. Front site is somewhat blurry, so for me I decided this is how I will train. I train for defense and if/when that day comes the glasses I will have on will be my everyday wear glasses.

Dolton916

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    Porter County
    I find my groups tighten up about a inch with my readers on and focusing on the sights, leaving the target blurry. I spoke to a lasik surgeon today and he says that astigmatism can be fixed but itsa much more complicated operation.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I'm just now at the point that I need readers to read, but nothing for long distance.
    With no correction, my front sight is a little blurry, but I can still get good alignment and sight-picture.

I did find a blessing though, and it's called a Crimson Trace grip for my EDC.
    I got the one with the instant on button on the grip. Grab the gun and it turns itself on.
    It's VERY easy to see at night. Not quite as easy in daylight at distance, but I don't have a big problem in broad daylight.

kman1977

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    i am in my fifties and have worn variable bifocals for about 10+ years
    for me to "focus' on the front sight my neck/head is so tilted back that it is
    not comfortable at all.
    So about 2 years ago i switched to just focusing on the target and using the
    very fuzzy sights on the handguns.
    One thing that helps is to have "white" colored sights --- even though they are out of focus
    they will at least be able to be seen. My hand guns that have just a black front sight have had white
    fingernail paint applied and it helps with me at least being able to pick up the front sight with these
    old / fuzzy eyeballs.
    Of course some days at the range are a real exercise in futility because of the sight problem

Last edited:

marv

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Gatchel, IN
    I have had astigmatism for years. Due to my occupation I wore double bifocals. They were good for shooting. I could tilt my head down and see the front sight clearly. Six months ago I suffered a T.I.A. which left me with double vision. A muscle that controls my right eye is paralysed. My opthamologist is reluctant to do anything yet. Different glasses aren't helping. I've covered the right side of my glasses so that life can go on. Driving is no problem. I've learned to shoot handguns crosseyed but my rifles have been retired for the duration.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have good luck with mono-vision contacts. I have a distance lense in my right eye and a near vision lens in my left. It seems to help. I was shooting last week with my bifocals on and was having a heck of a time seeing the front sight of my CZ. I'd have to crane my neck back to see the front sight through the near lenses. I found that when shooting my Glock 19 with XS Big Dots, I could see the front sight well enough to reliably ring steel without needing to look through the near vision part of the bifocals.

Top Bottom