A Rock, Runes, and Mystery...What says INGO? Madoc? Hoax? Viking?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mdmayo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    Madison County
    Takes about 2 seconds for any geologist worth a crap, even a 1st year college student for that matter, to ID Limestone.

The way the carvings intersect the solution holes makes it likely that the "runes" were carved much more recently than that rock was eroded.

Pics are tough to be sure from, but I'd bet it's fairly recent inscriptions on the rock.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Phhhhtttt! I believe that particular rock was included, as a bonus, in the 1971 Led Zeppelin album, best known for the song "Stairway to Heaven". :):

Seriously though, that is way cool! I'm a gonna try to get by the shop this weekend and have a look at it!

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Takes about 2 seconds for any geologist worth a crap, even a 1st year college student for that matter, to ID Limestone.

The way the carvings intersect the solution holes makes it likely that the "runes" were carved much more recently than that rock was eroded.

Pics are tough to be sure from, but I'd bet it's fairly recent inscriptions on the rock.

Capt. Mal Reynolds may disagree......I have no doubt the carvings were done after the erosion but I can assure you the weathering is present and I as I said I am not saying that some farm kid 100 years plus didn't scratch these out in a fit of boredom and plant them in the field....

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

My apologies...It is not limestone he said but a form of "siltstone" or "sandstone" that was formed under tremendous pressure before turning to stone....He was trying to get me the exact scientific name of the stone but he was 90 % sure it is what is called "Mississippian Siltstone" It is a common stone down here on the river...You are right, limestone is easy and he said he wanted to be more exact that just saying "siltstone".....He is one of the Geologists working on the Bridge Construction down here on the River and is handling their soil samples....

Mea Culpa

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I hope it's still at the shop the next time I'm able to make it down there. And in my experience, there ain't no "might" about it! :):

You're easy Doggydaddy...

Old? Cosmolined up? Stock looks like it's been through two world wars? Obsolete ammo? No problem....:):

The same thing that makes most sane people run from a gun attracts doggydaddy to it like a pup to bacon....He needs help.....;)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    You're easy Doggydaddy...

Old? Cosmolined up? Stock looks like it's been through two world wars? Obsolete ammo? No problem....:):

The same thing that makes most sane people run from a gun attracts doggydaddy to it like a pup to bacon....He needs help.....;)

And you're an enabler! :):

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I can not believe this thread was revived...The rock is still here..Dana Olson, the man who wrote the book on Madoc has been to see it...What's funny is? I had a customer come in (knew nothing about my rock) and said "Hey...You like old weird stuff don't you?" (BBI says I have a museum that sells guns in the gift shop) I said "Yes I do.." He pulled out his cell phone and said a farmer plowing found this rock in his field and showed me a pic of it...It's flat, about 2.5 times the size of a phone book and has carved in bas relief a human face frowning...Kind of looks like the old Greek mask for theater except more primitive...I asked if the guy was selling it and he said he had told him he could have it for $1000....I then asked where it was found and he said New Washington....Roughly three miles from where my rock was found...I couldn't tell much from the pics but just picture a bas relief (the rock was carved around the design and the design sticks out about an inch) Two eyes kind of droopy and a large frown...The rock is square shaped...I told the guy to have the farmer bring it down as I would like to look at it further...

It looked almost Aztec or Toltec...

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I can not believe this thread was revived...The rock is still here..Dana Olson, the man who wrote the book on Madoc has been to see it...What's funny is? I had a customer come in (knew nothing about my rock) and said "Hey...You like old weird stuff don't you?" (BBI says I have a museum that sells guns in the gift shop) I said "Yes I do.." He pulled out his cell phone and said a farmer plowing found this rock in his field and showed me a pic of it...It's flat, about 2.5 times the size of a phone book and has carved in bas relief a human face frowning...Kind of looks like the old Greek mask for theater except more primitive...I asked if the guy was selling it and he said he had told him he could have it for $1000....I then asked where it was found and he said New Washington....Roughly three miles from where my rock was found...I couldn't tell much from the pics but just picture a bas relief (the rock was carved around the design and the design sticks out about an inch) Two eyes kind of droopy and a large frown...The rock is square shaped...I told the guy to have the farmer bring it down as I would like to look at it further...

It looked almost Aztec or Toltec...

Did I understand that correctly, you can get $1000 for a rock with strange markings on it?

So, if I make, err... I mean find, one of these rocks, you're the guy to talk to?

BTW, although I joke, this really is interesting.

Last edited:

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Looks like T Lex has a fascination with digging up old artifacts, too, lol.

But this is really cool. I'm glad this thread was dug up, I find this stuff incredibly interesting.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I'm gonna have to get down there and see some of this stuff one of these days. I used to be somewhat familiar with the Saxon runes, but I haven't kept up with that. I haven't poked at it yet, but I know there are Vikings gnawing at the edges of some of my bloodlines. I know damn well they had settled Greenland, back before gorebull warmening had made it too cold to live there, and that was spitting distance to Newfoundland. They would have thrived in North America. I wonder why they faded here. North America at least should have been well enough known as Viking territory to give Columbus pause, rather than the lip service they give to Leif Erikson.

Top Bottom