• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    You think a higher % of losers smoke than winners?

If you go by those that have smoked vs. those that haven't it would probably be a higher percentage but I meant more along the lines of those that are viewed as winners (or highly successful). Even though a good number of highly successful people have at least experimented with something at some point so I guess by your definition, they'd be losers as well.

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Many years ago I got into the whole mess of drugs. You name it, I did it. I quit doing that more than a decade ago and rarely even take a prescription pain killer now unless I'm truly miserable. At the drug phase in my life it seemed like everyone I knew was on drugs. Now, at this point in my life it seems like I don't know anyone who is. I think a lot of it is directly related to the people you associate yourself with. I mean, yeah, anybody can spot a crack head at WalMart but the majority of us non-users don't really recognize the ones who do. I've distanced myself from those people simply because it's not a path I want to be on again. I know some people who smoke a little herb now and then. I know a few people who pop a few pills now and then. None of them are by any means addicts, though and most of them are productive hard working members of society. Aside from the legality of it, I don't see much difference between smoking a joint and having a few drinks. As far as the harder drugs, I can't say I know anyone who does any of those (that I'm aware of). That stuff is bad news.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    If you go by those that have smoked vs. those that haven't it would probably be a higher percentage but I meant more along the lines of those that are viewed as winners (or highly successful). Even though a good number of highly successful people have at least experimented with something at some point so I guess by your definition, they'd be losers as well.

Trying it makes one a loser? Where did that come from a big hog leg?

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    A lot of people smoke marijuana, but I've been surprised at some of the people I've found who use the harder stuff. I knew one guy years ago who was fairly well-off. He worked for a very big company and had a very technical job that few in the company could do. Not long after meeting him I found out that not only was he also a drug dealer, but he smoked crack regularly. Definitely not my impression of a crackhead. On the other side of the coin were the meth users I used to have to work with when I was younger. We were constantly trying to get projects done on tweaker time, and on payday they'd disappear to another planet for a few days. It made getting things done very difficult.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Let me start off by saying I've never even seen illicit drugs, let alone, used them. I'm rather naive about drugs but I can make an educated guess.

How many people do you know well enough that you can say with great confidence that they are or are not using drugs? 100? 500 maximum if you have a very large family that you keep in touch with?

So you know 1 drug user in 500 people. The US population is 314,000,000 people. If 1 in 500 uses illicit drugs that 628,000 people. Lets say 10 tons is smuggled every month. That's 1/2 oz of drug per drug user per month. Not very much...

This is all just hypothetical and guessing though... I really don't have a clue, just trying to help put it in perspective.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    They Walk Among Us!

I have always taken pride in the fact that I can spot "Partiers".
    Sad but true. I try to keep "street smart" just for my kids sake.(teenagers)

I've had family that have asked similar questions so I take them to random places to sit and watch people. After a while you too can be an expert in profiling dirtbags. It make no difference on where you live - they are everywhere.

Start your lesson buy parking behind any 7-11 or liqueur store and enjoy.
    Get ready to fend off questions like - "How much?" "Looking for a piece?" and my favorite "You want a date?" Yes all in one day or night, you can score some drugs, buy a "throw away" and get gonorrhea. :n00b:

These people are usually paranoid and oblivious - all at the same time.
    I wish I was joking in this post - but I'm not.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    Wow, take off your blinders people. So alcohol is OK but marijuana is a bad drug? Just like evil black guns? How many people a year does alcohol kill? How about tobacco? How many people a year does marijuana kill?

I'll give you a hint here - Marijuana Smoking Doesn't Kill

Oh yea all the cartrel killings are a figment of our imagination. And potheads never get in car wrecks killing others while driving stoned.

Thanks for the pro stoner viewpoint.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Several HS classmates started onto weed when we were in HS. But I personally never saw it or smelled it on anyone. Lots of drunks in our class, too, for that matter. Again, though, I never ever participated. I chose my friends carefully and I didn't care to associate with the drunks. That's the main reason I declined to play football my senior year, actually.

Now, as an adult, still can't point to anyone of my friends or acquaintances and tell you that he/she does any kinds of drugs at all. The thing is, I'm sure there are a few. Laws of averages and all that.

At times - I DO think that there may be a friend or two that struggles with alcohol - but, again, I don't know for sure.

As has been said above - people go to great lengths to hide things.

In my working life, I've also never suspected any of my co-workers. No one I've worked with has ever been at work and acted stoned/drunk/high/whatever.

indymeh

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2011
    Oh yea all the cartrel killings are a figment of our imagination. And potheads never get in car wrecks killing others while driving stoned.

Thanks for the pro stoner viewpoint.

Now you are putting words in my mouth. I never mentioned the by products of "The War on Drugs" also know as a huge waste of time and money. I was simply talking about the effects of the substance itself. I would be happy to see some statistics backing up your point of view because otherwise it is just you rambling on about some nonsense. FYI - I do not use. Can you imagine how much tax money we could take in if it was legalized and regulated? If you don't want to hear what I have to say this is a free country and you are welcome to leave this discussion.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    A good friend of mine, at this point a hesitant 'lifelong' friend, was a pretty regular smoker when we were in our early twenties. For the most part, it was all well and good. He never drove stoned, didn't smoke on days he worked, kept it pretty much to himself. Then, he went to the 25th Anniv. of Woodstock.

The plan was for he and another guy to drive to Cleveland and hop a bus to WS. On Friday evening, not long after they arrived at the show, they popped some pills, he still isn't sure of what. He slept the first night in a trashbag next to a porta-potty because he was too messed up to find his campsite, the 2nd night was under a bush on the ground. He never found the campsite, and somehow managed to get back on the bus to Cleveland, leaving anything he wasn't wearing in New York. Getting back to Cleveland, he found the car, but no friend. Had to call his mom and have her buy him another bus ticket home from Cleveland to Indy. Come to find out, the friend got high as hell, paranoid, and called his sister to get him a bus ride home Friday night, didn't even realized he'd left my friend at WS and his car in Cleveland.

One would think that would shock someone into refocusing. Right? Wrong. A short 3 years later, my friend attended a Phish concert, where he partook of, in his words, "a lot of ****". Shortly after 8am the next morning, still high to the point of not knowing who or where he was, he attacked a girl in a public park. By that evening, he was starting to come down. He watched the news, saw the report, and decided to end his life by driving head-on into a semi coming down the high way. Somehow he managed to survive that, only to try a 2nd time by diving headfirst off the hood of the semi onto the pavement below.

He was restrained by passersby and the semi driver. According to the police report, he confessed to the EMTs during the ambulance trip to the hospital, and had a lengthy interview with sheriff's deputies while there in the days following. He spent the next 14 months in jail, and plead to Criminal Confinement after a few continuances, getting time served and a 10 year registration on the offender database.

Don't do drugs, folks, they will wreck your life.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    Now you are putting words in my mouth. I never mentioned the by products of "The War on Drugs" also know as a huge waste of time and money. I was simply talking about the effects of the substance itself. I would be happy to see some statistics backing up your point of view because otherwise it is just you rambling on about some nonsense. FYI - I do not use. Can you imagine how much tax money we could take in if it was legalized and regulated? If you don't want to hear what I have to say this is a free country and you are welcome to leave this discussion.

For some reason pro pot peolple think criminal activity associated with it will cease to exist if it were legalized. Yet offer no proof of that happening in this nation with any other substance.

Semi legalizing and taxing and controling are working so well for alcohol ? Yet you want the same for pot?

How about perscription drugs? Hows that working out?

Great arguement you got there. Please feel free to leave till you got something better for me.

thatgtrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    You find the drugs the same places you find the illegal guns and other high crime areas.

Wherever poverty is high, discrimination is high, income inequality is high, any place where school dropout rates are high and gang activity is high.

And yes it is happening around us. One of the attributes of Drug abusers is their ability to successfully hide their addiction.

indymeh

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2011
    For some reason pro pot peolple think criminal activity associated with it will cease to exist if it were legalized. Yet offer no proof of that happening in this nation with any other substance.

Semi legalizing and taxing and controling are working so well for alcohol ? Yet you want the same for pot?

How about perscription drugs? Hows that working out?

Great arguement you got there. Please feel free to leave till you got something better for me.

I never said that criminal activity related to it will cease to exist but it will lessen. Would you rather buy booze from a moonshiner or a general store? If it were legal I know I would much rather go to the gas station than hang out at a 711 in the ghetto.The system for alcohol is far from perfect but didn't we learn anything from prohibition :dunno: Like it doesn't work. Are you proposing we just leave the broken, expensive system in place rather than trying to improve it? Does putting drug dealers etc in jail cure them?

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    I never said that criminal activity related to it will cease to exist but it will lessen. Would you rather buy booze from a moonshiner or a general store? If it were legal I know I would much rather go to the gas station than hang out at a 711 in the ghetto.The system for alcohol is far from perfect but didn't we learn anything from prohibition :dunno: Like it doesn't work. Are you proposing we just leave the broken, expensive system in place rather than trying to improve it? Does putting drug dealers etc in jail cure them?

There is a war on alcohol . Even special enforcers.

Does putting alcohol abusers in jail cure them?
    You are aware that is done?

I just don't see where another legalized substance is a fix of anything. Only fix that has been offered is going full libertarian and make everthing legal , tax nothing and let the stupid run wild.

Last edited:

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    When I lived in AZ the guy that lived below me was always using some cocain, he was pretty cool when he was high but was a total ass when he was sober

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    In order to understand the situation, we must first consider that we approach the issue loaded with baggage. First, when mentioning drug users/dealers, we think of toothless, tattooed up, scraggly-haired white guys or black guys with the waist of their pants around their knees with vacant stares in either case. My first round of enlightenment came about 15 years ago when my dad and I were discussing drugs and he pointed out to me the people he knew for a fact used drugs, none of whom were people I would have imagined. These people were in their 40s or 50s, worked reliably, were successful by the standards of the community (they weren't going to be able to pay cash for house in one of Carmel's best neighborhoods, but they were living comfortably) and never did anything that would tip off anyone who didn't know them. I would also point out that the first time I say marijuana, I was 3 or 4 years old and it was being used by two members of the family, one of whom was a policeman. Had his usage been less unrestrained he would probably still be on the PD and also selling drugs.

When it is all said and done, I consider drug use to be self-destructive and do not encourage it. I also believe that choices one makes for himself are none of anyone else's business, and further would state that this is analogous to outlawing possession of an inanimate object for fear of what someone could do with it rather than punishing misdeeds rather than the opportunity to commit them.

I would also have to say that I have less concern over someone having the munchies and operating in slow motion than someone who gets drunk and hits the road feeling absolutely invincible.

The world isn't perfect and isn't going to be. Not all drug users are hoodlums and/or obvious to identify, and you can rest assured that those tons of marijuana are not being plowed into the ground as fertilizer.

As for the 'war on drugs', the severe adverse effects on respect and recognition of our rights and the absence of a defensible return on investment should adequately settle the argument.

Top Bottom