• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • copper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jun 20, 2009
    Shelby County
    I am so stinking irratated..I'm no expert (insert "tyler) by a long (long) shot..
    But, I think i can get a good edge on most of my knives. Then why in the heck do I have so much trouble with certain knives. I'v been working on my crkt dogfish for two days and just can't get it sharp. I had the same problem with my Buck 102, it took me forever to put a good edge on it.
    Maybe i just need to be more patient.

Fogerty rocks

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    even as an expert:rolleyes: I still get plenty of knives that are a pain in the ass to sharpen and I just wanna throw across the room.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    And, there are some knives that won't take a decent edge (for more than a few seconds). Some of the crappier 420J2 knives are essentially ornamental (not to be confused with 420HC with a good heat treatment), not much better than 300-series stainless butter knives.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Bad edge geometry (aka bad manufacture) is hard to fix. I have a scar on my right wrist where I embedded an old Buck Nighthawk after working on it with a stone for hours and getting to the point of trying to force the blade so hard against the stone that I slipped and nearly cut an artery. It's a reminder that a good knife works with you and a bad knife isn't worth the effort.

Really the only way to fix bad edge geometry is to establish a new edge. I use a belt grinder for this.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    i use to have this problem with my sharpmaker all the time. i could get my izula to razors edge no problem, same with my SAK's, but other knives i would be there all day with no freaking luck. i use to get so freaking mad it wasn't funny. then i sold that set up lol

mwmccormick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 30, 2009
    Seymour
    I hear you. I have a Leek in S30V that I've almost given up on. Maybe that's why it's a blem. Everything else in S30V I have has been wonderful to sharpen on my sharpmaker.

copper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jun 20, 2009
    Shelby County
    I'm still working on this damn dogfish.... I've tried everything..... stones, sandpaper, paper wheels.......I can get it sharp, just not as sharp as i like.....I will not give up....

jim7310

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Westfield
    Some steels I just have never been able to sharpen well. I don't think I have ever gotten an edge to my satisfaction (that was not quickly dull) with 440 stainless...

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    I recently took my Benchmade (D2) to my buddy Russ, and he put a death edge on it, in like 30 seconds. He's a master of the blade, plus he works for mexican food.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I will work for beer or mexican food. Preferably both.

I'm of the opinion that beer and mexican food will become the next currency of the US if the dollar continues on it's current path.

I also struggle with sharpening D2. As long as I'm keeping something in S30V sharp, I'm fine. Making S30V sharp once it's dull, I send them to Tyler.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    For some reason, I've never been able to sharpen ANY Gerber, regardless of steel :dunno:

D2, F8ck that stuff. URGH, but when I did get it sharp, whew.

Yup, D2's a ***** to get a good edge on.

D2 can be a pain. My dad picked up a Knives of Alaska skinner years ago and it came with pretty much no edge. I couldn't sharpen it, and my uncle had it for a couple months and he couldn't get it to the "damn sharp" level it was capable of either. He took it to the guys at the 1500 that charge $5 to sharpen it, and after a lot of grinding it took an edge and it stays sharp (this was before I knew of Tyler or anyone else on here, so they could have done better).

I was lucky though for my Lion Steel SR-1 al, it has a D2 blade and is always easy to bring back (but it came with a good edge)

Top Bottom