• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 60Driver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    Hamilton County
    Some educated SWAG's with Harrison, Rogers or Berryhill...Enough fun.

The Gun was Built by a fine up and coming smith, Drake Oldham (SWAT cop and now full time builder and instructor) who also handled the finish. I always respect Builders who are also "serious" users, they tend to know what is important. What makes this one special (aside from the craftsmanship) is given away by its serial number. Drake was mentored by LAV and this one was built in class, and of course inspected and tuned by the Man. Always wanted a Vickers given my background, never figured I could find, let alone afford one, so this is a VERY good compromise. I am not sure why the gun left left Drakes personal collection but will find out.

And the Rail (Dawson) may be 90's but it still mounts the right light! MARS and a few others our bringing the design back, becuase it offfers a slimer carryable option for a rail.

picture.php

Quick builds list, will add details when I get a little more time.
    Caspian Frame/Slide Golfball ala Rogers (good eye on that guess) built in magwell, tactical cut front to strip mag in malfunction drill and beautifully cut top serrations. Butt is blended similar to Wilson new round butt design. Old school Vertical Slide slide cuts showing its War Horse GI heritage.

Kart NM Barrell and thick Flange Bushing, Hard Fit

Berryhill ignition parts

Wilson safety, blended as well as any I have seen, with positive but light feel.

Greider Slide stop, cut Flush and Greider short trigger (one in pic above is from prior owner test fit of a long trigger)

Hand Built Cocking Ledge sights, .130 notch, tritium front

Ahrend Cocobolo Double diamonds cut to fit magwell, but retaining classsic bevel.

More details to follow and Range report, but needless to say if you are like me and want a modern bombproof fighting 1911 that retains classic lines this one is a beautiful example...The Smith should be proud, as should his mentor. I am lucky to have it in my care.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Some educated SWAG's with Harrison, Rogers or Berryhill...Enough fun.

The Gun was Built by a fine up and coming smith, Drake Oldham (SWAT cop and now full time builder and instructor) who also handled the finish. I always respect Builders who are also "serious" users, they tend to know what is important. What makes this one special (aside from the craftsmanship) is given away by its serial number. Drake was mentored by LAV and this one was built in class, and of course inspected and tuned by the Man. Always wanted a Vickers given my background, never figured I could find, let alone afford one, so this is a VERY good compromise. I am not sure why the gun left left Drakes personal collection but will find out.

And the Rail (Dawson) may be 90's but it still mounts the right light! MARS and a few others our bringing the design back, becuase it offfers a slimer carryable option for a rail.

picture.php

Quick builds list, will add details when I get a little more time.
    Caspian Frame/Slide Golfball ala Rogers (good eye on that guess) built in magwell, tactical cut front to strip mag in malfunction drill and beautifully cut top serrations. Butt is blended similar to Wilson new round butt design. Old school Vertical Slide slide cuts showing its War Horse GI heritage.

Kart NM Barrell and thick Flange Bushing, Hard Fit

Berryhill ignition parts

Wilson safety, blended as well as any I have seen, with positive but light feel.

Greider Slide stop, cut Flush and Greider short trigger (one in pic above is from prior owner test fit of a long trigger)

Hand Built Cocking Ledge sights, .130 notch, tritium front

Ahrend Cocobolo Double diamonds cut to fit magwell, but retaining classsic bevel.

More details to follow and Range report, but needless to say if you are like me and want a modern bombproof fighting 1911 that retains classic lines this one is a beautiful example...The Smith should be proud, as should his mentor. I am lucky to have it in my care.

This is a much more defined pic. The color and detail is more pronounced. Excellent piece. The lack of roll marks make a nice clean gun.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    You could always have the slide and grips laser etched to make it a Glock.

1911glockaprilfools3501.jpg

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    LOTS of function with that pistol. Loving the simple touches (single side safety, cocking ledge sights, no front serrations, etc...). It doesn't "look" the custom part, as it's custom for YOU and your experience/background. You remind me alot of my dad: Was issued a .38 as an aviator in Vietnam, carried a Smith 36 he bought personally (and had to use during Linebacker 2), but only got a 1911 that the "cool guys" (as he termed them) when he stole all mine I had built! :D

I dislike front serrations, much to the chagrin of Kirk :D In my manual of arms, if the 1911 is cocked, it's loaded, I don't need to practice presschecks, no matter how cool they look in a training class/video. If it ain't cocked, it ain't loaded. Other people train differently, your mileage may vary (or as Gordo 'sez "I get it") :D

60Driver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    Hamilton County
    Thanks for the compliments, as DH says this one is very close to my "ideal" setup for a 1911, understated,hard fit top tier parts, built like a tank, primary design influence of realiabilty with a great deal of inherent accuracy built in as a sedondary design driver. Drake builds for reliabilty (testing each gun at least 100 rounds after completion) and also clearly shows the influence of Vickers, Bruce Grey and Ned Christiansen (his teachers). Each of us vary in what feature set works best for our gun handling, FCS or no, ambi or no, Rail or not. This is why a generally recommend that new 1911 shooters start with a quality base gun, figure out what they need to "run the gun" then modify as required. There is much wisdom in Kirk's oft quoted "Software drives Hardware".

In my case this gun represented 98.9% of what I would spec to a master builder, became available at a "fair" price and saved me a 4-5 year wait list time (typical for a top 1911 smith). The Added plus was its Vickers background, both in terms of design philosophy and rarity. I still am looking at that "LVP" serial and smiling!

Top Bottom