A situation where you are asked to leave.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Debated whether this belonged here or in politics. Decided more carry related than political per se so put it here. Mods feel free to move it if you disagree with that assessment.

Here's the situation: you park your car in a commercial parking lot. You will be open carrying from there to somewhere else (say, an open carry political protest ;)).

Case one: You've just parked and step out of your car with a handgun visible in a holster at your side. Someone apparently involved in the operation of the garager says you can't have the gun in there and asks you to leave. I presume that at this point you don't really have any recourse but to eat whatever the minimum parking charge is. Correct?

Case two: Nobody said anything when you got out of the car and went about your business but now on returning someone objects and asks you to leave at the entrance. You're out here. You've been asked to leave. Your car is in there. Now what do you do? Does the trespass law allow them to prevent you from entering their property in order to retrieve your property which was legally present there at least up until that point?

Case two is the more important of the two cases, as you might imagine.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Case 1: I'd demand my money back, and leave. If they didn't return my money, file a claim in small claims court, since they didn't deliver the service they contracted for. Video is your friend.

Case 2: I'd call the police, and seek their assistance in getting the property the garage operator has siezed returned.

Both cases presume there is no sign at the entrance prohibiting firearms.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Case 1: I'd demand my money back, and leave. If they didn't return my money, file a claim in small claims court, since they didn't deliver the service they contracted for. Video is your friend.

Case 2: I'd call the police, and seek their assistance in getting the property the garage operator has siezed returned.

+1

I think Joe hit the nail on the head

Mikeh82

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009

What if they tell you your dog is ugly??? Then what...

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    What if they tell you your dog is ugly??? Then what...
    If they say your dog is ugly, say thanks and keep going, if they say your dog is ugly and you have to leave, then unfortunately you have to leave. It's private property (this is assuming its not a public parking area) and they can tell you to leave for any reason they want, or no reason at all.

ETA, the above scenarios by Joe still apply. Ask them for a refund in case #1, or call the police in case #2 (that is after you presented your case that you just plan to get your car and leave and they refused to allow you in to get the car).

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    In either case, pretend you don't hear them and continue about your business as if they didn't exist. :cool:

JohnN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I could be wrong but unless there is a sign posted at the entrance there is no way they could make you leave without your vehicle.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    Why would a sign , signs carry no weight of law, matter in either case? In case #1 ask for money back, in case #2 I would retrieve my vehicle after telling them what I intended to do.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Case 1 - leave and demand a refund.

Case 2 - Say ok and appear to leave.
    Walk to entrance on other side of building and proceed as normal.

:yesway:

ATM - In either case, pretend you don't hear them and continue about your business as if they didn't exist. :cool:

:D

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    For some reason, I never have these hassles. Its almost as if my weapon were invisible... no, not invisible... What's that word where something is there but out of sight because of something else covering it or its otherwise intentionally out of view??

Oh yeah, Concealed!!! :whistle:

:stickpoke::horse: :D

Top Bottom