• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    There are 2 of those homes in West Creek Township not too far from me. One was completely earth sheltered except for the South wall. After living there a few years they scraped off the earth roof and built a second story on top of the house, super insulated the new roof and its supposed to still be amazingly efficient.

The other has a Western exposure, never been to that house, but it can be seen from the road (White Oak). Looks pretty long and very inviting, I'm guessing all the living/bed/dining rooms have a window and western exposure.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    My question. Why would you want a house with no windows? I dont know but it seems like you would have to keep the lights on all day and all night to be able to see anything inside. There by poking a hole in the energy savings aspect. I like to keep the windows open in the spring/summer/fall and the light is normally more than enough to see by in day time and I only turn the A/C on if the temps get crazy like last summer.

jkershner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    An unquiet solace
    My question. Why would you want a house with no windows? I dont know but it seems like you would have to keep the lights on all day and all night to be able to see anything inside. There by poking a hole in the energy savings aspect. I like to keep the windows open in the spring/summer/fall and the light is normally more than enough to see by in day time and I only turn the A/C on if the temps get crazy like last summer.

The kitchen and the bath are the only rooms in the house that don't get direct sunlight (I don't really count the workshop/storage/laundry area). The primary living areas (living room and bedroom) both have HUGE windows that let direct sunlight practically pour in.

But your larger point is well taken. My response: the practical aspect of having such a square plan is that compromises had to be made with regard to direct lighting. The alternative was to have a long, narrow plan in which every room gets light but then you end up with the motel look.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I'm with your wife.

However, I do want a secret entrance from the basement of the house to an underground bunker at least a 1/4 mile away from the main home.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I'm with your wife.

However, I do want a secret entrance from the basement of the house to an underground bunker at least a 1/4 mile away from the main home.

Isn't there a line in the MLS for border-town dwellings to disclose if there's a tunnel that connects to Mexico?

That would be sweet. Reminds me of "Skyfall"

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Isn't there a line in the MLS for border-town dwellings to disclose if there's a tunnel that connects to Mexico?

That would be sweet. Reminds me of "Skyfall"

In Indiana? :n00b: :D No. ;) That'd be one hell of a long tunnel.

But there might be in the border states. I was thinking of "Skyfall" as I wrote that.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Whats wrong with it looking like a bunker....whats wrong with a bunker? My son is building his house in the summer.....its a "bunker" style house too.....if he gets an ideal for a tunnel he will probably do it....I've always wanted one from the house that leads out to the woods....good escape plan. I loved Hogans Hero's as a kid.

jkershner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    An unquiet solace
    Whats wrong with it looking like a bunker....whats wrong with a bunker?

Nothing, in and of itself:). It's just that if I want to keep the wife happy (and I do), then bunker-style is out, brother.

On top of that, I wouldn't call a bunker particularly livable! But I DO love the idea of a Skyfall-style escape tunnel.

In fact, if you look closely at the hallway next to the bedroom, there is an opportunity to have a hidden entry to a secret room, if you desire...

Top Bottom