• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    I recently came across a soldier's account of being shot in the chest, point blank, due to disregard for the rules of firearms safety. Paralyzed, he lives to tell his story to remind gun owners that you've ALWAYS got to follow the Four Rules.

Click here to read the whole story: Carteach0: Glen's story.... a cautionary tale for shooters.

Here are a few quotes from the story to whet your appetite:

I flat-lined 4 times that day. The first time was when I was shot the shock wave caused my heart to stop for about 30 seconds. That is a scary feeling, I was conscious and I could feel that there was a very strange and scary still feeling in my chest. (You don't normally notice when your heart is beating in your chest, but when it is not you SURE AS HELL DO.)

This was all caused by a fellow soldier who was being stupid and playing with his personal handgun. The pic of clothing that you see is my uniform top.
    P1020411.JPG
    P1020409.JPG

The bullet was a Speer Gold dot 9mm that was fired from a Glock model 17.
    The impact did not push me back from the firearm more than about half an inch.
    My observation is that the Speer Gold Dot 9mm round is pretty effective for causing internal damage but when it mushrooms as seen in the picture the edges fold back so only the round inner is hitting the internal organs. As for "knockdown" it does not have very much power.

A few days after I woke up I realized that I had two ways that I could go from there. I could either lay there and waste away from depression or I could get up and keep going. I have a phrase that I live by now. "Never say quit, never say die."

Last edited:

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Great read.

He has a wonderful wife who literally saved his life.

Never, never point a gun at something you are not prepared to kill.

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    Thanks you for shareing this, as much as I hate to see this I do think of these stories I hear on a constant bases. Being young as I am and newer to the sport I try to be as catious as I can, stories like these pop into my mind nearly every time I carry/pickup/move/clean etc. a gun.
    So glad that this soldier made the recovery that he has, glad that he is willing to share and hopefuly help prevent this from happening to someone else.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Wow, that is crazy.

When I was being taken to the ambulance I had reached out and grabbed John's hand and told him "John I forgive you." At present he is stationed in Iraq, and we are still friends.
    That is powerful, and shows that no matter how stupid they can sometimes be, nothing can overcome true friendship (and in this case "brotherhood" of the armed forces).

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Repped. If there's a silver lining to an incident as unfortunate as this, it's keeping people like me paranoid about gun safety.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    WOW, great post. Prayers sent for him, his family, and his buddy.

The other was about a minute after I was loaded into the ambulance I felt this sudden calm come over me and I knew that I would be alright. I found out later that at about that same time she had said a prayer.

Powerful stuff

Top Bottom