• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    There is a solution to school safety; it would not cost the school districts any money. The solution is putting military members in the schools. Our country will be pulling out of Afghanistan soon and we will have many military members who will be sitting behind desk doing nothing or being put out of the military only to go on unemployment because there are no jobs. Every state has a military presence; it would be so easy to set up a school detachment in each state, just like recruiting offices. Each school district could request how many military guards they need based on the number and size of schools. These guards could also be present during football games and such. They could put a military office in the school administrative building. This would be wonderful duty for the military member, especially those who have a family…maybe let them go to their home states, they would get the chance to live and contribute to that community.
    Just my 2 cents for a solution.

Spanky46151

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Martinsville
    I don't disagree with the premise, but there would have to be some very stringent screening & evaluation of those assigned to the post. Everyone knows mental health is not at the top of the military's health priorities and when you complicate the matter with PTSD or other battle induced issues you just might create an atmosphere for a perfect storm.

Absolutely no disrespect for our service people. I just don't think we, as a nation, provide adequate after deployment services for those who volunteered to answer the call.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I don't know. I think the concept is good but I personally have an issue with a federal program putting any soldiers on private soil. I would rather everything was handled locally though.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    I don't disagree with the premise, but there would have to be some very stringent screening & evaluation of those assigned to the post. Everyone knows mental health is not at the top of the military's health priorities and when you complicate the matter with PTSD or other battle induced issues you just might create an atmosphere for a perfect storm.

Absolutely no disrespect for our service people. I just don't think we, as a nation, provide adequate after deployment services for those who volunteered to answer the call.

All deployed military are debriefed when they return...I think a screening would be great. Nothing is perfect.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    I don't know. I think the concept is good but I personally have an issue with a federal program putting any soldiers on private soil. I would rather everything was handled locally though.

We have military members at every recruiting center in every state...many go to our schools all the time. Many school districts are strapped for cash already.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    We have military members at every recruiting center in every state...many go to our schools all the time. Many school districts are strapped for cash already.

Not quite the same - i wouldn't want them patrolling. Our federal government is inept in almost everything that it does and this would be no different. In an ideal world, I would cease paying the government taxes for all of the crap that it should not be in. I would rather pay my portion of the taxes in my community to fund officers (or ex-military, whatever) for my schools than pay the feds to run a program like this however they felt was satisfiable to the entire country. no thank you.

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here
    Personally, I would resent attending any school function with armed military personnel present. I have nothing against our military, but having them guard our schools during peacetime is not a proper solution in my opinion. If they would like to become a security guard after leaving the military, that would be fine with me. I feel that this suggested solution would be another step closer to a police type of state. I don't think we need to help move our communities in that direction. Just my :twocents:

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    Personally, I would resent attending any school function with armed military personnel present. I have nothing against our military, but having them guard our schools during peacetime is not a proper solution in my opinion. If they would like to become a security guard after leaving the military, that would be fine with me. I feel that this suggested solution would be another step closer to a police type of state. I don't think we need to help move our communities in that direction. Just my :twocents:

I agree.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    While I'm sure they would certainly enhance security, I don't know. Active-duty military, deployed to police American civilians, and reporting to the Federal government, just sounds ripe for abuse.

I'd rather let civilians "police" civilians, and our military engage our foreign enemies. I just don't agree with blurring that line. It is blurry enough with the militarization of our law enforcement.

338-1220202833-soldiers-on-guard.jpg

How far do we want to go for the illusion of perfect safety?

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I don't support the further encroachment of the government or it's agents, employees, etc. into any area of our life.

We ALREADY have adults in schools capable of being armed. They're called teachers and administrators. The SIMPLE solution is to allow licensed teachers and administrators to carry if they so choose. ZERO marginal cost.

End of story.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I don't support the further encroachment of the government or it's agents, employees, etc. into any area of our life.

We ALREADY have adults in schools capable of being armed. They're called teachers and administrators. The SIMPLE solution is to allow licensed teachers and administrators to carry if they so choose. ZERO marginal cost.

End of story.

And end of thread.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon

Is this really peace time????

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    While I'm sure they would certainly enhance security, I don't know. Active-duty military, deployed to police American civilians, and reporting to the Federal government, just sounds ripe for abuse.

I'd rather let civilians "police" civilians, and our military engage our foreign enemies. I just don't agree with blurring that line. It is blurry enough with the militarization of our law enforcement.

338-1220202833-soldiers-on-guard.jpg

How far do we want to go for the illusion of perfect safety?

I call it protecting not policing....there is a difference.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

End of story.

^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^

The only other thing I'd add is removing the restrictions on lawful carrying by law-abiding adults. (That would be zero additional cost to the tax payers).

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Not to steal thunder but schools have been utilizing parents, or neighborhood resources for years. I know several other retired police officers in my area that could Volunteer time to the school. This could easily be expanded incorporating others coordinated by local law enforcement or the school corporation.

Top Bottom