A theoretical question, --- your opinion please?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bd1024

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 22, 2011
    Indy
    A theoretical situation, -- A 65 year old man is at a fast food restaurant, some young man, (or men) cut in front of him in line. He tells them to get in line like everyone else, at which time they begin harassing and threatening him. ---- As the older man leaves the restaurant, he is followed by the younger men, pushed, and punched, etc...... The older man who is legally carrying a weapon, feeling that he life is threatened, pulls his gun and shoots one of the "punks" ---- Has he committed a crime? is he going to jail, or was he justified in his actions? ---- The younger men were not armed with a gun, ---- Your opinion please? ---- Thanks

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    It would depend on the details, what was said, the particular actions of the "punks", the physical fitness of the "65 year old man", and things of that sort...in other words whatever they could convince a jury of.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Disparity of force would be the justification here. Multiple younger, presumably stronger men attacking you, means that a reasonable man might believe that they are at risk of death or great bodily harm. Therefore, lethal force might be justified. Additional details might change the answer, but given only these details, likely okay.

I recommend Guy's Comprehensive Indiana Gun Laws class. You will understand these issues much better.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    What State is this happening in ?

Is there a duty to retreat in that State ??

That's my answer for starters..

Rocketscientist

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2014
    Valparaiso
    I'm no expert on the matter, but from everything I've been taught in the world of weapons and self-defense, a fist can most certainly be considered a lethal weapon. A 20-something who is quick and powerful vs. a frail old man could qualify. Or, for instance two guys of the same age, but one a muscle bound roid-rager vs. the other skinny guy, 100lbs soakin wet.. Big difference in size and ability, as well as level of fear of injury.

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    What State is this happening in ?

Is there a duty to retreat in that State ??

That's my answer for starters..

The 65 y/o left the restaurant. Wouldn't that be retreating? They followed him out, if I read things correctly. I'm thinking disparity of force here, although the prosecutor may have other ideas.

Rocketscientist

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2014
    Valparaiso
    Since when is 65 old and frail? I know plenty of 65 year olds that would whoop my butt

True that! I know plenty of frail 20 year olds who, if the roles were reversed, would have just as much justification in defending themselves with a firearm.. Besides, isn't Schwarzenegger around 70 these days? I guess it all boils down to means and ability to carry out a threat no matter who you are.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    ...He's an old man and they're ganging up and putting their hands on him.

If I'm on his jury he won't he convicted.

Same as the above.

The old guy tried to disengage. Multiple assailants pursued and began an assault. Hands can be a deadly weapon.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    The older guy (notice I didn't say old man :fogey:) should have thrown his gun to the ground and stomped it. The gun would have went off and shot two of the tires on the ruthless punks truck. They would have retreated in fear of the older dudes skills.

If the prosecutor doesn't like the older guys methods, he can make him carry a wooden gun for a week.

Oh and........ If you weren't there to witness this, it's Nunya Bizness Anyhoo

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Well he's going to jail no matter what ...

It's not like in the movies where the cops just tell you it was a good f=shot and let you walk away with your gun. :wavey:

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here

It's not like in the movies where the cops just tell you it was a good f=shot and let you walk away with your gun. :wavey:

^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^ He just bought himself a free ride to jail. And if the prosecutor thinks that he might have a winnable case against the old man, he will definitely bring him up on charges. The old man better hope that all of the witnesses are honest and in his favor. All it would take is for a witness or two to state that he didn't need to use his weapon to possibly sink his self defense case.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

No, he's not going to jail no matter what. I've been on the scene of a self defense shooting where the prosecutor cleared the shooter before the shooter even gave a statement. You won't be leaving with your gun, which is evidence, but you may very well get to walk away.

As to the OP - it depends. There is no blanket answer and the details will determine if it's a good shoot, questionable shoot, or bad shoot.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    No, he's not going to jail no matter what. I've been on the scene of a self defense shooting where the prosecutor cleared the shooter before the shooter even gave a statement. You won't be leaving with your gun, which is evidence, but you may very well get to walk away.

As to the OP - it depends. There is no blanket answer and the details will determine if it's a good shoot, questionable shoot, or bad shoot.

This has never made sense to me. With forensics being what they are, take the gun, snap every picture conceivable, hell, make a computer model and 3D render it, but give it back to the guy who may need it tonight more than ever.

The take-away from this is: Own more than one handgun.

Oh, and to address the OP, while I won't say what I'd do on a jury as I don't have the facts to judge at this time, I would be surprised if any defense attorney worth his salt would not bring disparity of force into the fray and allow that to be a consideration that the jury could ponder.

From the story provided, and recognizing the one-sidedness of it, the youngsters went wrong when they turned to harass their elder.

A man of a certain age did not get there by being the most feminine portion of a woman's anatomy, nor by being a fool. If he was willing to speak up to them, they would have been wise to pay heed.

Seldom are twenty-something males in a group properly considered to be wise. Wise-asses, perhaps, but not wise.

I wish good fortune to the aforementioned man of a certain age, and wisdom to the remaining members of the group of young males, along with the hope that the latter will at some point be worthy of being called "men".

Blessings,
    Bill

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    This has never made sense to me. With forensics being what they are, take the gun, snap every picture conceivable, hell, make a computer model and 3D render it, but give it back to the guy who may need it tonight more than ever.

The take-away from this is: Own more than one handgun.

Oh, and to address the OP, while I won't say what I'd do on a jury as I don't have the facts to judge at this time, I would be surprised if any defense attorney worth his salt would not bring disparity of force into the fray and allow that to be a consideration that the jury could ponder.

From the story provided, and recognizing the one-sidedness of it, the youngsters went wrong when they turned to harass their elder.

A man of a certain age did not get there by being the most feminine portion of a woman's anatomy, nor by being a fool. If he was willing to speak up to them, they would have been wise to pay heed.

Seldom are twenty-something males in a group properly considered to be wise. Wise-asses, perhaps, but not wise.

I wish good fortune to the aforementioned man of a certain age, and wisdom to the remaining members of the group of young males, along with the hope that the latter will at some point be worthy of being called "men".

Blessings,
    Bill

Pictures can't be test fired and compared to bullets inside the bad guy, which will corroborate your story.

Top Bottom