AA Optics is now a National Appleseed sponser (Kickoff event details inside)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    So any helpful information on this event? Distance we will be shooting, suggested rifle(s) to use, how improved is the shooting area, etc.?

I'm considering bringing a few (3-4) different rifles. Can I use a red dot scope or can we only use iron sights or glass optics?

I read a bunch of stuff on the Appleseed website for preparedness but I'm sure there are specific/unique needs for each different location and I wish more information was posted up to prepare for specific sites. Am I missing something on the Appleseed site that provides location specific details?

The distance will be 25 yds.

You can bring whatever you want, but I would recomend a 22lr, because you are going to burn threw some ammo. Your welcome to use a red dot, Irons, or magnified optic.

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    Who are you? Have we met before? I'm puzzled why this forum member thinks I know them...

So any helpful information on this event? Distance we will be shooting, suggested rifle(s) to use, how improved is the shooting area, etc.?

I'm considering bringing a few (3-4) different rifles. Can I use a red dot scope or can we only use iron sights or glass optics?

I read a bunch of stuff on the Appleseed website for preparedness but I'm sure there are specific/unique needs for each different location and I wish more information was posted up to prepare for specific sites. Am I missing something on the Appleseed site that provides location specific details?

Well since you claim not to know me, :p I'm not sure if you will listen to any of my advice but here goes. From my understanding the range is your average farm field area. I would suggest only bringing one or two rifles. I have brought multiple rifles to a seed before and it gets very distracting. It's better to just focus on one. If you want to bring two I would suggest a 22lr for Saturday which is the day with most of the instruction and then shoot a centerfire if you want on Sunday, but remember that each AQT is 40 rounds and you will probably shoot at least 4 if not 5 or 6 AQT's on Sunday. Well at least that is the way most Appleseeds work, with this being a Vortex Sponsored Appleseed and scopes being given away, things will probably be a bit different.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I'm on my phone so I can't post a link, but it you find the thread about the last seed at my place there should be some pics there to give you a idea of the layout.

We are shooting 200ish yds from where you park. There will be a couple utv's to help tote people/equipment back and forth.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    The problem you will have with a red dot is that most of them are too large. Even the good ones are 4 MOA. You will be shooting some stages where that dot would cover the entire target. You could try using a six o clock hold and putting the target above your red dot but I am guessing that would be too imprecise as well.

Good iron sights (peep rear with small profile front post) or a scope would be best.

also, you likely know this if you've checked out the Appleseed site but a sling is pretty much mandatory. A USGI web sling or M1907 style work great. They will teach you how to greatly increase your steadiness through proper sling usage in the standing, seated, and prone positions.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County

grunt soldier

Master
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    I qualified with a red dot at atterbury that was 4 moa using 6 o'clock hold. it's not that hard. it is much better with the newer 2 moa dots but it's not a problem at all. I have also qualified several times on 25 meter AQT's using the same red dot using the 6 O'clock hold.

Barista

Marksman
    Oct 29, 2012
    South Bend..."Go Irish"
    The distance will be 25 yds.

You can bring whatever you want, but I would recommend a 22lr, because you are going to burn threw some ammo. Your welcome to use a red dot, Irons, or magnified optic.

Good to know...this really helps me better plan and prepare what rifle(s) and setup. THX!!!

Well since you claim not to know me, :p I'm not sure if you will listen to any of my advice but here goes. From my understanding the range is your average farm field area. I would suggest only bringing one or two rifles. I have brought multiple rifles to a seed before and it gets very distracting. It's better to just focus on one. If you want to bring two I would suggest a 22lr for Saturday which is the day with most of the instruction and then shoot a centerfire if you want on Sunday, but remember that each AQT is 40 rounds and you will probably shoot at least 4 if not 5 or 6 AQT's on Sunday. Well at least that is the way most Appleseeds work

haha, Rayne I'm just :stickpoke:at you a little...

Good idea on sticking to 2 rifles and using the 22 on day 1 for the training and having another rifle available (centerfire) for Sunday's AQT.

The problem you will have with a red dot is that most of them are too large. Even the good ones are 4 MOA. You will be shooting some stages where that dot would cover the entire target. You could try using a six o clock hold and putting the target above your red dot but I am guessing that would be too imprecise as well.

Good iron sights (peep rear with small profile front post) or a scope would be best.

also, you likely know this if you've checked out the Appleseed site but a sling is pretty much mandatory. A USGI web sling or M1907 style work great. They will teach you how to greatly increase your steadiness through proper sling usage in the standing, seated, and prone positions.

Yup, got the info on the sling so no issues there. I was just debating on the center fire rifle I bring. I have both the red dot (Vortex SPARC I bought from AA Optics with KillFlash) and iron sights (co-witness). I just was curious if I should remove the red dot or if the option to keep it on would be okay since I could use my irons anyway.

I qualified with a red dot at atterbury that was 4 moa using 6 o'clock hold. it's not that hard. it is much better with the newer 2 moa dots but it's not a problem at all. I have also qualified several times on 25 meter AQT's using the same red dot using the 6 O'clock hold.

Nice to hear some feedback from someone that used and red dot with qualifying results. The Vortex SPARC I have is 2 MOA. Honestly, I still need to figure out what the difference in 2 & 4 MOA are...

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Good to know...this really helps me better plan and prepare what rifle(s) and setup. THX!!!

haha, Rayne I'm just :stickpoke:at you a little...

Good idea on sticking to 2 rifles and using the 22 on day 1 for the training and having another rifle available (centerfire) for Sunday's AQT.

Yup, got the info on the sling so no issues there. I was just debating on the center fire rifle I bring. I have both the red dot (Vortex SPARC I bought from AA Optics with KillFlash) and iron sights (co-witness). I just was curious if I should remove the red dot or if the option to keep it on would be okay since I could use my irons anyway.

Nice to hear some feedback from someone that used and red dot with qualifying results. The Vortex SPARC I have is 2 MOA. Honestly, I still need to figure out what the difference in 2 & 4 MOA are...

I would not remove the red dot, the sparc dot will cover 1/2 inch at 25 yds so it will be great.

MOA stands for minute of angle. Its a unit of measurement. 1 MOA =1.047 inches at 100 yds. Shooters MOA (what everyone uses) is 1 inch at 100 yds, and .25 inches at 25 yds. Since your dot is 2 moa the dot itself will cover 1/2 inchs at 25 yds, or 2 inchs at 100 yds, or 20 inches at 1000 yds. If you imagine the world around you is a 365 degree circle, and you break that down into 1 degree, then break that down into minutes (1/60th) you would basically have a pie shaped piece left. The further you get from the spot your standing the larger the piece gets. Just like a piece of pie, with you being the center of the pie.

I hope that made sense, its one of those things thats easy to explain, but difficult to type

Barista

Marksman
    Oct 29, 2012
    South Bend..."Go Irish"
    So I haven't quite figured out what rifle (centerfire) I'm going to use for day two but I'm pretty sure I will figure that out between now and this Appleseed event.

What I'm trying to figure out is the rifle I'm going to use for the training day (Saturday).
    My options are as follow:
    1. Borrow dads Ruger 10/22 or Sig 522. The downside of the Ruger 10/22 is that it has a scope, I would prefer to add tech sights but I don't like the front sight options for the 10/22 (cap on the end of the barrel), and it's not mine to really change. The downside of the Sig 522 is the sights are Magpul flip sights that are not like traditional AR sights or adjustable like tech sights. Also, the Sig 522 has 25 round magazines are a bit larger/longer which may create some complexities in the prone position.
    2. Use my Marlin 22 magnum. The downside to this is that I need to buy the tech sights, buy a couple more magazines, the magazines are limited to 7 rounds (is that enough?), and it's a bolt action (this doesn't bother me and I think I can do well enough with it since it is magazine fed and I'm not limited the traditional ADL/BDL 3-4 rounds). I realize that the courses of fire are timed and the bolt action will slow me down but some of the first rifles the military used after black powder were bolt actions so this may add some historical reality to the shooting :)
    3. Buy a Marlin 795, add sling, add tech sights and possibly extra magazines.

I'm really thinking of going with option "2" above but I really need to understand if 7 round magazines will be sufficient for the course(s) of fire before I start preparing this rifle for an Appleseed; otherwise, I will be left with option "3" and as a last resort option "1"

Barista

Marksman
    Oct 29, 2012
    South Bend..."Go Irish"
    I would not remove the red dot, the sparc dot will cover 1/2 inch at 25 yds so it will be great.

MOA stands for minute of angle. Its a unit of measurement. 1 MOA =1.047 inches at 100 yds. Shooters MOA (what everyone uses) is 1 inch at 100 yds, and .25 inches at 25 yds. Since your dot is 2 moa the dot itself will cover 1/2 inchs at 25 yds, or 2 inchs at 100 yds, or 20 inches at 1000 yds. If you imagine the world around you is a 365 degree circle, and you break that down into 1 degree, then break that down into minutes (1/60th) you would basically have a pie shaped piece left. The further you get from the spot your standing the larger the piece gets. Just like a piece of pie, with you being the center of the pie.

I hope that made sense, its one of those things thats easy to explain, but difficult to type

Well stated...I was able to follow (I read it slow and a couple times to get it). Thank you!!!

Pitmaster

Expert
    Jan 21, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    I'm really thinking of going with option "2" above but I really need to understand if 7 round magazines will be sufficient for the course(s) of fire before I start preparing this rifle for an Appleseed; otherwise, I will be left with option "3" and as a last resort option "1"

All courses of fire are 13 rounds or less. The only real issue you will have is keeping track of your count if you use option 2. The courses of fire are 5 rounds, and 10 + 2. You would be doing 7 + 5 during those and have to remember the round count and target on your transitions.

For a 4th option, I have a Ruger 10/22 LTR with sling, tech sights, etc. you can borrow. On the very slim chance I attend I have other 10/22s to chose from, but they all have scopes and I need the scope to see. You can PM or email me through here or the BORCC website.

Barista

Marksman
    Oct 29, 2012
    South Bend..."Go Irish"
    All courses of fire are 13 rounds or less. The only real issue you will have is keeping track of your count if you use option 2. The courses of fire are 5 rounds, and 10 + 2. You would be doing 7 + 5 during those and have to remember the round count and target on your transitions.

For a 4th option, I have a Ruger 10/22 LTR with sling, tech sights, etc. you can borrow. On the very slim chance I attend I have other 10/22s to chose from, but they all have scopes and I need the scope to see. You can PM or email me through here or the BORCC website.

Thanks for the offer but I probably won't take you up on it. I prefer to use my own gear but if I get into a pinch before this event I will let you know. Thanks for the shooting string info...

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I've been holding off because we could probably only do 1 day (Sat). Down to two tickets means I better jump in. Back in a sec...

The last set of tickets was already pending. We might be sitting this one out.

[edit...] Sold out! Congrats Alan. We'll get you next time.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom