AAR: Drunk driver wrecked out in front of us. +1 St. Joe Sheriff Dept.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    This is delayed about two weeks as I have been sorting this incident out in my head and with the wife.

Background:
    So, because of a court order my wife has to drive three times a week from North Liberty to Elkhart in order to drop of my daughter to her biological father for visitation. Because the weather has been warming up, she has taken to driving to and from on the US 20 bypass. During dropoff, I routinely drive over after getting off of work and meet her at the handover location, and we head home for about 2 hours before having to return. When we get home, I strap on my EDC. The biological is a bit of a tool, and for some reason finds me intimidating, so me being around keeps him from being stupid.

Story:
    So, we had just picked our daughter up from the biological and we headed home on the bypass. As we were nearing the IN 23 exit for North Liberty, we see a car flipped onto it's roof on the side of the road deep in the ditch. The wife points it out and I instruct her to pull it over, flash the hazards, etc. I ask her to stay with the kids as she is asking if we need to dial 911. I asked her to wait as several other cars were also stopping to check on the vehicle. I hop out of the truck and move down to the flipped over car as two guys are climbing up the hill waving off people telling them they are okay. I ask if anyone else was in the vehicle and if either of them are hurt, and the man shakes my hand and tells me that they are fine. At which point, I found that the wife had walked up behind me leaving our two kids in the truck about 30-40 yards away. The reek of alcohol was strong and the wife sees one of the guys toss a bright blue box into the woods from beside the car.

At this point, I'm a little perturbed because the wife left the kids in the truck after I asked her to stay there, but I wasn't willing to pick the fight at the moment. The guy that shook my hand suddenly asked a very strange question to the group of us that had stopped. "Can you take me to the gas station?" At which point, we hear sirens coming closer in the distance and the flashing lights are visible coming up from down the road. He asked if someone had called 911 and gets a panicked look on his face and start acting real jittery.

He starts walking down the road towards the exit. I speak up and tell the guy that he needs to wait, but he keeps on going. The other guy from the vehicle looks around to see where his buddy had gone and asks where he was. I point down the road, and he gets this look of disbelief on his face.

Meanwhile, the guy is passing by some of the parked cars that had stopped to try to help. He starts moving towards some of the passenger doors looking inside. The wife had left the kids in the truck, as well as the keys and it was still running. At this point, this horrible feeling in my gut rose up and I unzipped my jacket and unsnapped my holster as the guy was moving towards the passenger door of the wife's truck. His arm slowly started to reach up as he took another step and suddenly stopped. He paused for a couple seconds and then took several steps back before taking off back towards the exit.

As the guy was about halfway to the exit, the first of the St. Joe County Sheriffs deputies arrive. My wife quickly flags the first one down and points out the guy heading for the hills. She also pointed out the box tossed into the woods to another officer as the first set was chasing down the guy trying to get away. Both of the people in the car were handcuffed and whisked away. I snapped my holster back up and zipped up my jacket as it was getting dark and cold out.

After another of the deputies was checking on the stories of everyone there, we learned that the guy had been passing cars that were doing 70 mph like they were standing still. They had come up on traffic that was staggered and tried to pass them all quickly and ended up losing it. Luckily, they struck no one else on their way through. I told the deputy about how the guy was reacting and how he was acting while looking into vehicles and that feeling in my gut.

The officer's reply: "If he reached for it, I'd have shot him."

My reply: "If he had gone another step forward, that's what would have happened."

The officer nodded and said: "Good."

The box in the woods turned out to be a case of beer. Open containers abounded.

We headed home without a shot fired. I ate a candy bar to get some sugar back in my system after the adrenaline rush and made dinner.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    The post adrenaline drop will get you every time.

Glad he didn't get to the kids, you didn't have to deal with the aftermath of a shooting, and very glad they got arrested. Hopefully the drunk will do more than spend a few nights in jail and get a slap on the wrist.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Drunk drivers are all kinds of stoopid.

I had one a couple weeks ago who got into a crash and then fled in his vehicle, ultimately getting stuck in mud inside a construction site (he was from out of town). The victims followed him and we were on scene quickly. The driver had traded places with a passenger to try and keep himself out of trouble. He was real drunk but cooperative nonetheless. He kept denying being the driver but when I told him he was going to jail, he got "incarceritis" and started puking. There was nothing in his vomit but bile, alcohol and blood. I asked him why there was blood in his vomit and he stated that his lip was bleeding and he must have swallowed some blood. I asked why his lip was bleeding and he said "I hit it on the steering wheel in the crash".

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My wife used to not listen to me as well.
    We had a pretty serious incident early last summer with some squatters that were trying to stay in the vacant hose north of us. My son got into it with them and I ran to back him up telling her to get 911 in process and I was gone. Right in the heat of the ordeal I look around and her and my daughter are right there behind me.
    Trust when I say that will not happen again. Everyone has an assigned function if this happens again.
    I have no idea why woman will not listen in these situations.

OP, glad you did not have to use your sidearm.

I have zero tolerance for drunks driving walking or just sitting.

Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Drunk drivers are all kinds of stoopid.

I had one a couple weeks ago who got into a crash and then fled in his vehicle, ultimately getting stuck in mud inside a construction site (he was from out of town). The victims followed him and we were on scene quickly. The driver had traded places with a passenger to try and keep himself out of trouble. He was real drunk but cooperative nonetheless. He kept denying being the driver but when I told him he was going to jail, he got "incarceritis" and started puking. There was nothing in his vomit but bile, alcohol and blood. I asked him why there was blood in his vomit and he stated that his lip was bleeding and he must have swallowed some blood. I asked why his lip was bleeding and he said "I hit it on the steering wheel in the crash".
    Yep, that's classic stupid right there.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    We had a pretty serious incident early last summer with some squatters that were trying to stay in the vacant hose north of us. My son got into it with them and I ran to back him up telling her to get 911 in process and I was gone. Right in the heat of the ordeal I look around and her and my daughter are right there behind me.
    Trust when I say that will not happen again. Everyone has an assigned function if this happens again.

Doesn't that pretty much answer itself? :laugh:

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Great, now I am craving a frozen snickers...

OP sorry to hear of your bad deal, lesson learned stay with the family if the wife cannot be trusted to stay in the truck.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Were your kids still in the truck while the guy was thinking about going for the door?

That might have been a tricky shot with your kids potentially in the line of fire.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

CM, you have met my lovely wife. She too has cases of brain fart/failure to listen. God love 'em.

Several years ago when my oldest was just a tiny one, I was downstairs in my home office working late one lovely summer nite. Windows were open, and the front door was open (but the storm door locked). Mrs. Monkey came downstairs to say good night with the little monkey in her arms getting a bit of a snack if you will. We are standing at the bottom of the stairs of our split level chatting and out of the corner of my eye I see someone step up onto our porch and appear to reach for the door handle.

I immediately and instinctively yell "HEY!" and the kid (15?) freaks and turns around. By this time I am halfway up the stairs. I unlock the door and head out into the front yard. About this time he is hitting the sidewalk and I yell in my best authoritative voice: "FREEEZE!". The kid instinctively stops, turns around and assumes a defensive posture, breathing heavy. He thinks he is ready to take on the world. About this time I see he is a kid and ask "What the HELL were you doing?" His body says "come at me bro" but his voice cracks and in a slightly shaky tone says " sorry, we was just doing a ding dong ditch." At that point I realized the doorbell is RIGHT next to the door handle and he's telling the truth. I about lost it. "Damn dude! Dont DO THAT!!!! People get shot for doing that sh... these days. *sigh* Go home!" He turned tail and ran off into the darkness.

I turn around and there are my two other monkeys on the front porch... She instinctively followed me out to "help" with mini monkey still in her arms nursing. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: She admitted that she had no idea what she would have done holding a nursing kid, But she wanted to help.

My how times have changed. She now EDCs and doesnt do (as much) stupid stuff like that.

Oh, and the funniest part? About 30 minutes later I hear the kid outside running down the street yelling to his friends to stop their antics. :laugh:

Top Bottom