• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • troy_mp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    To whet your whistle with a little AK full-auto goodness (Courtesy of MilSpec Monkey. MIL-SPEC MONKEY) ... [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2hjq_wxeB0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2hjq_wxeB0[/ame]

"I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history and naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry and porcelain." - John Adams in a letter to Abigail Adams (12 May 1780)

At the risk of gross oversimplification what President Adams said was ... 'first things first.' Put another way ... "Mindset, Tactics, Skill and Gear".

I've come to understand that each Tactical Response class I take becomes a refrain/refresher on the song I try to keep playing when on my own. Admittedly, a song that because of Tactical Response evolves over time to become richer and more meaningful with each recitation.

In an effort to get the most out of each training opportunity, I've taken to reading all the After-Action-Reports for a given course and watching the pertinent videos; often repeatedly. To that end I offer the following:

TACTICAL RESPONSE FIGHTING RIFLE
    PRIMER:

*.) The Tex Grebner You Tube video review on "Fighting Rifle". [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdcOCikmrOE"]YouTube - Tactical Response Fighting Rifle TGO Review[/ame]

*.) The Tactical Response "Fighting Rifle" DVD set. (See Tactical Response Gear Store per http://www.tacticalresponsegea...g/index.php?cPath=99)

*.) The Tactical Response "Shooting Missology" DVD set. (See Tactical Response Gear Store per http://www.tacticalresponsegea...g/index.php?cPath=99)

*.) James Yeager's You Tube videos on proper Glock and AR-15 lubrication. (Glock) [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGobEpUO3Uc"]YouTube - Proper Lubrication of an Glock Pistol (#2)[/ame]

(AR-15) [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXIsKEHo-4g&p=BA8596A45E699C90&playnext=1&index=5"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...0&playnext=1&index=5[/ame]

*.) Pertinent gun-specific tutorial videos from Jim Fuller et al per ATAC TV: Firearms

Two outstanding "Fighting Rifle" AARs ...

*.) GOTX AAR: x-pat's review per http://getoffthex.com/eve/foru...=559108413#559108413 (Free sign-up. There you can see pictures.) ...
    "AAR:

Fighting Rifle was outstanding! I had an absolute blast in this class!

We started off day one in the pleasantly cool spitting rain, with introductions, firearm safety rules, medical plan, etc. We fairly quickly moved into weapons manipulations, transitions, and the omnipresent Fight, Assess, Scan, Top off. We also learned and practiced various shooting positions; standing, kneeling, supine, and shooting from your weak shoulder. This was one where, before James taught me how to do it correctly, I looked like “a retard ****ing a doorknob”.

The second half of day one we worked on shooting from cover in various positions, and making sure as little as possible of your body parts are exposed. We also practiced shooting on the move, laterally, forward, and backward while using peripheral vision to navigate obstacles. Great fun!

We finished up day one with key learnings. I’ve outlined mine at the end.

Day two was straight up rocking from that start! We started off with more transitions, and shooting from awkward positions, one foot or the other, and still making hits. We then dove into team tactics. This is where it started getting really fun. One man kneeling, the other standing, and taking turns “on the clock” scanning and looking for threats while your teammate reloads. We then did this from cover with a buddy, again making sure one was “on the clock” while the other was scanning. When one gun ran dry, it was then the other’s turn to be “on the clock” and maintain constant fire downrange while the other got his gun back in the fight while scanning. After lunch it was unassing an area while keeping a steady volume of fire downrange with peel drills. And then bounding, laterally, forward, and backward to various points of cover with a teammate and again maintaining constant fire downrange. Again, this was indescribably fun, but also challenging to remember everything. That’s why we train.

Key Learnings:

1) Engage safety whenever you break cheek weld (unless gun malfs or goes empty, and you need to transition).

2) The pinch technique for racking the charging handle. James warned me the first day that I was putting too much sideways pressure on the charging handle, and to be conscious of racking it straight back. I remembered for a while, but as the day progressed I reverted to my bad habit. By the end of the day, my charging handle was bent and binding up. Brian helped me hammer it straight that evening, and the next day I decided to switch to the two fingers over the top method to prevent from bending it again. I had only done this a couple of times when Jay came over and told me to try making a fist and pinching the latch side of the charging handle between the meat of my index finger and thumb, with the knuckles of my fist pointed toward the rifle. This worked awesomely. The way I understand it, it provides two advantages. One, because you are pinching, you do not have to overcome the spring/latch force that you do when you grab from the front only. Second, your arm is in a more natural position to push the charging handle straight back with no lateral pressure. I used this technique for the rest of class, and had no charging handle/ FTF /difficulty running the bolt / etc. issues.

3) Get your fresh mag in your hand before ejecting the old one. When I first screwed this up, I ejected an empty mag onto the ground before I had extracted the fresh one from my pouch. When I got an earful from Brian, I couldn’t really understand what difference it made (my gun was empty, so who cares if an empty mag is on the ground?). It wasn’t until I made the same mistake again, with a partial mag ejected onto the ground that I realized the wisdom of the teaching. I had just ejected a mag with 7-8 rounds, and now I only had one shot if something jumped off in the time it took me to get my new mag in. Train one way, regardless of whether your gun is empty, or just topping off, so you won’t screw it up when it really matters.

4) Reload before requesting to move. I made this mistake once, and learned why it is a very bad one to make. If you forget to reload before moving, chances are you are going to run out of ammo just about when your buddy is moving out from behind cover, and now he’s screwed. Make SURE your rifle is topped off before moving!

5) These classes will help also you evaluate and understand your gear! On day 2, I was watching a drill with my rifle hanging on my OSOE single point bungee sling. I was just standing there, and my rifle fell to the ground. Luckily I had noted the technique that John Willis had used to attach a fellow classmate’s sling the night before in the team room. Instead of doubling back through both slots of the buckle, you should skip the first slot and only double it back through the second. I found out why on that second day. You never know what tidbits of knowledge you are going to pick up in the team room (which is why it is invaluable to stay there!).

Conclusion: ****ing phenomenal! That’s all I have to say about that. "

*.) GOTX AAR: abujoshua6's review per http://getoffthex.com/eve/foru...9081001#594009081001 (Free sign-up. There you can see pictures.)...
    "If you are in the military, read this review

Bottom line, up front: YOU NEED THIS TRAINING

I am a U.S. Marine with nearly 20 years experience in a combat arms MOS. I have deployed numerous times and spent 14 months in Iraq on a TT. I have always qualified expert on both pistol and rifle. I have been through the Combat Marksmanship Program and the Enhanced Marksmanship Program. In my current billet I influence training throughout the entire Marine Corps and know about all training systems and programs. I list my experiences here only to assist others who may have a similar military background and are considering the merits of these courses. Both Fighting Pistol and Fighting Rifle are essential elements in your toolbox of training.

This training is “vocationally generic” in that the principles can be applied to any individual scenario, occupation or circumstance. Marines train the way they plan to fight, so this is perfect. If you may ever have to use a rifle, then you need this class. My brother had tried to convince me to take this training for years, but I thought I had what I needed from the Marine Corps (a public acknowledgement - You are right, Patrick).

Yeager quote of significance: In discussing why I should take this training (knowing my background) Yeager said “The military, even the Marine Corps, doesn’t have a ****ing lock on training” and then challenged me to just take the course and allow my opinion to be formed afterward. He was right and I will take it again as well as many others. The techniques are sound, yet innovative. I am so convinced that I am working to get this incorporated (through Train the Trainer) into the Marine Corps Pre-deployment Training Program.

Training is an essential aspect of preparation. It allows individuals and units to rehearse and gain proficiency in skills and tasks, to develop relationships with other groups with which they will operate during real-world operations, and to gain experience in specific operations or activities in the absence of the ability to perform them in wartime. More than any other program I have experienced, have knowledge of, or have participated in, Fighting Rifle is TRAINING.

The mantra from the beginning was that the training would improve your mindset. Yet, we never actually talked specifically about mindset during the drills. It wasn’t until a few nights later, reviewing my notes that I realized that EVERY drill was tied to mindset. Without explicitly detailing how each related to the larger concept, we all were pushed through our participation into the acceptance of a warrior mindset. One good example is that the command to begin every drill is “FIGHT” not “fire” or “shoot” or “begin”.

Key Learnings:
    - A weapon is a life saving tool.
    - Fist sized groups (this isn’t marksmanship) – if it’s bigger than a fist shoot slower, smaller shoot faster.
    - You can overcome you bad habits through extensive repetition of good habits.
    - The best way to treat every weapon as if it is loaded is to load every weapon.
    - You won’t have a negligent discharge if you follow the four safety rules (Note: Tactical Response has an extraordinary safety record).
    - When you aren’t shooting, you should be moving.
    - A gun is better than a knife which is better than a fist. But not matter what you always have a weapon.
    - Shoot the torso, the head or what is visible. If his foot is sticking out from cover, shoot him in the foot.
    - Shoot the target, don’t shoot AT the target (the A in FAST). In other words, if you didn’t hit the target, shoot again.
    - There is a huge difference between training and practice. Training is emphasized through correct action.
    - You will get into your own OODA loop if you don’t train.

Simple wisdom in the instructional technique:
    - Students are told what to do, they are not told what NOT to do. Reinforces what should be done because under stress even simple things are difficult.
    - Independent action within the framework of the drill was encouraged; don’t wait to be told what to do.
    - You can move around obstacles using your peripheral vision while keeping your eyes on the target.
    - No pride in ownership; asked to do drills/skills/techniques as instructed in class, but evaluate and reject if don’t work for you.
    - Always know the medical plan (risk mitigation).
    - There is continuous critique and evaluation so that students have immediate feedback.
    - Instruction is straightforward and specific; instructors are extremely vigilant on details.
    - Learning doesn’t stop at the end of the day (camaraderie at dinner together and self analysis)

Drills/Info (to enable further individual training):
    - Shooting drills from various positions (on your back, sitting, kneeling, standing, both shoulders)
    - Close (touching target) fighting
    - Repetitive draw (one shot, reset)
    - Move while reloading or clearing malfunction
    - Shoot from cover, both sides
    - Fight, Assess, Scan, Top-off
    - Safety rules
    - Move with a buddy (Cover/move/tactile information)
    - Move with a buddy side to side, forward and backward
    -Trigger reset.

Exceptional training. This is needed by every rifle owner."

Just added, (i.e.), Su./11,14/10, 4:54 p.m. e.s.t. (Video from the class I attended, courtesy of MilSpec Monkey. http://milspecmonkey.com/) ...
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8DtXmiT4Ug[/ame]

The trainers were all eminently competent, gracious, clear, affable, focused and approachable. This is the key to coming to make information your own. Good teachers are worth their weight in gold because otherwise the lessons remain locked away.

Thankfully I thought to ask Jay for a turtle joke. He'd assumed we'd all had classes with him before and didn't want to repeat himself.

I said this was my first class with him. He didn't disappoint. I now more fully understand his avatar's tag line, (i.e.), "You see its not because the turtle walked slow." Darn near worth the price of admission imo.
    ROFL.gif

One constructive criticism: I feel like I get a great deal of understanding out of field stripping/inspection/cleaning/lubrication instruction. I know it's not very sexy compared to 'bustin caps but then again neither are Mindset and Safety presentations and we all know that they are definitely top level priorities.

Some of the videos cited above were solid on this info. but I'd like to see it formalized in class. I realize there are tradeoffs, (e.g.), by disassembling at the range some folks might lose parts.

But given the high round counts, oil vs. grease situation and the need for each of us to understand our rifles ... it seems worth the risk(s). That being said, it was the largest class size to date for a "Fighting Rifle" class, (33 students), and I respect the trainers' needs to modify curriculum accordingly.

Thanks to all of my classmates. As Co-Instructor: Aaron Little noted, folks maintained a high level of enthusiasm and support throughout and that really makes for a much richer learning dynamic for all involved.

My thanks especially to Scott ______ (Dept. of Energy Armorer/fellow classmate) who professionally and kindly helped me address a malfunction I was experiencing on my S&W M&P AR-15. Turned out I'd just not used ENOUGH hi-temp wheel bearing grease. That and a bit of CLP on some of the trigger assembly components got me right back in the game with no further malfunctions. Also many thanks to 'Aussie Dan' for the use of his brake cleaner.

Last edited:

troy_mp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    So we will see you at Alumni this coming summer?
    Britton,

I certainly hope so. I went to my first Alumni Weekend this past summer and, as per usual with Tactical Response, felt like it was a rewarding/enriching experience.

Thus far with Tactical Response I've taken: "Fighting Pistol", "Force-on-Force", "Instant Action Medical", "AK Operator" and "Fighting Rifle". How about you and what's your screen name over on GOTX so I can read your AAR(s)?

Additionally, I've studied with INGO's "pierce195" per his Carbine I class. Also an excellent one day/lower impact primer. Along those lines, who else might you recommend for training?

Take care! :)

Troy

troy_mp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    A GREAT review Troy! I feel like I would have been lost in the class as you described it, but it sure sounds like fun! :D
    MontereyC6,
    It's a sizeable chunk of course material but don't let that put you off. The pacing and quality of instruction made it all very digestible and, most importantly as you say above, FUN! :D

As an aside, while Tex's video review may lack Hollywood production values I applaude the guy by virtue of the enthusiasm he brings to his subject matter. Life can too often be filled with 'snark at the expense of folks getting worth-while info. out and about.

Many, not you, miss the value of the info. he offers by getting, imo, too 'wrapped-around-the-axle' about "how" its presented. All that's to say that of all the info. I offer above, Tex's video review is the most illustrative of the course as a whole. And everyone, novice or seasoned operator, can feel good about their choice to attend as the instructors will put you at ease and see that you get what you need.

Also, if you or anyone else is so inclined, don't hesitate to shoot me more questions here or via pvt. msg.; I'm happy to answer or give my :twocents:. ;)

Take care and thanks for the compliment re: the quality of this review.

Sincerely,

Troy

Last edited:

pftraining_in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    IN: South of I-70
    A few questions:

Why do they recommend turning your back on a known threat compared to scanning with your head and while covering the threat?

If they do not recommend dump pouches, what do they recommend you do with expended mags that still have ammo?

Why do they recommend wheel bearing grease and CLP?

During all the movement drills, what is the course of fire on the targets?

Last edited:

troy_mp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    A few questions:

Q: Why do they recommend turning your back on a known threat compared to scanning with your head and while covering the threat?

MK18:

At the risk of my going into more detail than necessary and because it helps me cement the lessons for myself ...

A: F.A.S.T.T.T.T.

Fight: Someone, has satisfied the three criteria necessary to justify the use of lethal force, (i.e.), intent, ability and opportunity. Intent is defined as a person(s) demonstrating by word or deed an intent to engage in an unjustified and imminent act likely to result in grave bodily injury. Ability is defined as that same person(s) demonstrating by size or strength or weapon or number an ability to make good on that threat. Opportunity is defined as being immediate as to time and place, (i.e.), it can be done in the here and now.

Assess: Do I need to fight that person(s) any further? I think this is the crux of this first question of yours, (i.e.), if a known threat is STILL a threat AND you had run the gun dry you'd stay oriented on the threat and reload/fire a.s.a.p. ideally while seeking cover (stops bullets) or concealment (hides you from view). At a minimum, reloading while moving and facing the threat given its harder to be hit while you're moving.

Scan: Presuming the initial person(s) has/have been stopped, are there any other person(s) who need to be fought per above. Given that you may be facing multiple attackers from multiple directions this necessitates a full "361 degree" scan, (i.e.), all the way around plus a bit to ensure you've indeed looked all the way around.

Top-off: Get ready to fight again by bringing your weapon up to full fighting potential ... reload.

Take-cover: As per above re: seeking cover and/or concealment.

Trauma: Assess for injuries to yourself or others as able/prudent.

Talk: Communicate re: your trauma status, need to move, etc. as appropriate given the need to balance keeping others informed vs. giving away sensitive info. to the threat(s).

Q: If they not recommend dump pouches, what do they recommend you do with expended mags that still have ammo?

A: Leave them on the ground until 1.) you have no other choice ... escaping incuded or 2.) the fight is over. Presuming you're fighting for your life and you still have rounds on you they're a distant secondary concern. Assuming you survive you can pick them up later; hopefully while retaining a fully functioning and loaded weapon.

Q: What do they recommend wheel bearing grease and CLP?

A: I think you meant "why" right? Assuming so ... exceptionally high round counts, (e.g.), rapid succession mag dumps, increase heat and wear beyond the point where oils can adhere and they subsequently run off and are therefore no longer useful. All lubricants will eventually need to be reapplied, its just that high temp wheel bearing grease has been shown to last longest and best in such high impact applications.

CLP is not necessarily recommened by Tactical Response either as a category, (i.e.), oil, or brand. I used CLP per my AAR above because some of the trigger control group components not readily field accessible with grease could be reached with CLP.

Q: During all the movement drills, what is the course of fire on the targets?

A: Presuming you mean what do we shoot and when ... it varies per instruction/situation. For example, when we were engaging single targets while moving from cover to cover we may have been directed to place two shots in the chest and one in the head. If multiple targets while moving from cover to cover with a partner ... one round to the chest on each target alternating targets with the priority being to maintain a constant string of fire coming from one partner or the other or both.

Please feel free to further refine your questions if I've mis-understood.

:yesway:

Take care,

Troy

Last edited:

pftraining_in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    IN: South of I-70
    I was just wondering what reasoning they were giving their students for their TTPs on lubrication, dump pouches and scanning.

From the video, the amount of rounds fired during bounding drills seems excessive as shooters were running dry. Are students engaging multiple targets or just engaging one target?

What was the round count for the course?

troy_mp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I was just wondering what reasoning they were giving their students for their TTPs on lubrication, dump pouches and scanning.

From the video, the amount of rounds fired during bounding drills seems excessive as shooters were running dry. Are students engaging multiple targets or just engaging one target?

What was the round count for the course?
    MK18:

Q: Are students engaging multiple targets or just engaging one target?

A: Multiple.

Q: What was the round count for the course?

A: ~1,500 per http://www.tacticalresponse.com/course.php?courseID=1

Take care,

Troy

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    So is this full auto AK class for people who own full auto AKs, or do they 'rent' them out?

If its for those who own, I would think you would have a pretty limited pool of people to draw from, but it looks like a lot of fun!

Top Bottom