• ...and so much more!
  • techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    What happens when you put 3/4 of a large tannerite bottle with a watermelon?

We were testing that theory this weekend in Brown county while taking a rest from science. It led to a silly little video:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKHieUmMMPM]YouTube - abc.dv[/ame]

But I thought it would be nice to see some more expansion on what happened. First we filled up the suicide belt here:

4718913650_9bd0b7da39_b.jpg

And then we hit it with a singe round of .223:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNjRPrvmxic]YouTube - Suicide Melon Attack Averted[/ame]

Yeah, pieces were plastered everywhere, dripping, laying all over:

4718922090_620d9406de_b.jpg

4718281187_17736cbac0_b.jpg

4718279185_a634c1f1df_b.jpg

So, we had another 3/4 bottle and it was time to do another one, this time with the bottle in the melon and a huge stone under it:

4718932102_291bb95db0_b.jpg

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr-o8iBGrdc]YouTube - Tannerite Watermelon[/ame]

4718934254_e7b0b92a26_b.jpg

Biggest remaining piece:

4718288085_a50139857d_b.jpg

Super fun!!!

Thanks to LoveMyWoods for the range, tannerite, and fun. Thanks to HisKids Photograpy for the amazing pictures!

Techres

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I love the chunks of watermelon landing in the pond 100 feet away at the end of the first video. :):

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    Begging of video "OH HAI, EYE AM STANDING IN DIRECT LINE OF FIRE, LAWL".

Pretty good video and pics, thanks for the laugh.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    You guys blew up the box :):

Ummm, yeah, about that.

LMW might have said something about that before it happened. The idiot on the ATV with one hand running a camera down hill may have used his obviously great intellect to argue that the box should be ok, no?

We put a board under the table to protect it. Good thing too, it is merely hurt. Had LMW not put that board there, it would be..... gone.

So, LMW, you have my apologies on the box there. I am hoping it's repair should not be too difficult. :n00b:

Techres

P.S. Tannerite is WAY better than I had expected!

thej27

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    Try tannerite with stuffed animals. Wish I had a video camera on that day. That was FUN. If you do cut open the stuffed animal and place the tannerite inside.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    My wife watched the video of the watermelons and came of with the idea of a themed event called the “Brown County Fruit Shoot!” We would start with watermelons and work our way down to cherries at various distances to see who is the best shot! :D Could be messy!

p.s. The Box of Truth will be easy fix and will be back in action soon!

samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    tannerite is cool.
    I always keep a couple cases around :D
    I usually have the half pounders, but the inlaws just bout me a case of 1lbers !!!!! for my Bday :patriot:
    Ive had the rollers come out for noise complaints, they usualy tell ya to stop shooting for the evening:dunno::patriot:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Where can you get that stuff? I looked around for it before a shoot and got nothing.
    Make it yourself.

20:1 ratio of Ammonium Nitrate and 400-600 mesh Aluminum powder

It is MUCH MUCH cheaper that way. $0.40/lb for the AN and $8.50/lb for the AL. Which means $0.83/lb of tannerite...

The reason it's not illegal is because it is considered a form of black powder. So you can't have more than 50 lbs of it etc. and because it's home-made you cannot transport it while mixed (only the ingredients). So you mix it on-site and use it on-site. I could be wrong on these reasons, but that is why everybody says you are allowed to have it.

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    Make it yourself.

20:1 ratio of Ammonium Nitrate and 400-600 mesh Aluminum powder

It is MUCH MUCH cheaper that way. $0.40/lb for the AN and $8.50/lb for the AL. Which means $0.83/lb of tannerite...

The reason it's not illegal is because it is considered a form of black powder. So you can't have more than 50 lbs of it etc. and because it's home-made you cannot transport it while mixed (only the ingredients). So you mix it on-site and use it on-site. I could be wrong on these reasons, but that is why everybody says you are allowed to have it.

Country boy you are correct; it's considered a "Binary" explosive - this term means the componets are not explosive by themselves, it requires the mixture and high velocity round ( or strong electric charge ) in order to detonate.

It IS illegal transport it while mixed, also if you store it mixed ( not recommended ) you can only have a certain quantity on hand before it becomes a matter of concern.

Top Bottom