• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    as far as lights go, I think those of us with the Fenix lights were happy.

I noticed many of the SureFire lights would change mode every time the button was depressed for momentary on.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Alright, I finally had some time to sit down and reflect on last night's class.

First, my hat's off to rhino, obijohn, and Granger for getting us out in the cold and running us through some interesting strings and drills. Even though they all have different teaching styles, they compliment each other well. I'd like to give a personal thanks to John for his one-on-one time and help. I'm sorry Coach couldn't make it.

It was a great class full of many INGOers I've met before, and more that I'm glad to know now (not you downrange72 ;)). My hat's off to you guys for embracing the suck and training in an environment that is exactly what we'll be dealing with for the next few months. I found my fellow shooters to not only be safe shooters, but competent ones. I appreciate both of these aspects when my arse is out on the line.

HICKMAN was spot on with his recounting of the course timeline. :yesway:

For me personally, this class was a much greater challenge than the last few I've been to. Yes, learning to integrate pistol + light + bulky clothing had its challenges-- but for me it was more of a mental challenge to keep fighting through some equipment failures. However, I feel like I learned MORE from this class because of these failures than I have in previous classes, when things were smooth sailing.

I learned that I have more light control with a jaw-index grip. When shooting around some barriers I would also transition into the FBI technique, in order to keep my light on target. While the jaw-index grip pointed really naturally for me, I also felt like it integrated well into my natural startle response and fighting stance.

I liked the Figure 8 drill, as it gave us all an opportunity to tune our light discipline while searching for our proper targets, all while working from concealment, around barriers. A special thanks to John for calling out non-existent numbers. :D

The hallway drill was particular interesting, from a decision-making standpoint. I know I stood there for like 3 minutes trying to decide if the target with stars and a square was a threat or not. :n00b: :D

A few other observations, in no particular order:

• I stayed pretty warm until we moved to the drills. Standing still while waiting for the other shooters froze my toes. I need warmer socks.
    • My UA shooting gloves did well with the temperature, but I believe hit their temperature basement-- I don't think they do as well below 30 degrees.
    • Using the Olight M20 Warrior as my primary light worked well, but I noticed lots of finish wear after the class.
    • The snow and cold temps have an affect on EVERY aspect of shooting-- from the guns and ammo, to the cover garments, dexterity, secure footing, light splashback, everything.
    • Driving from Indy to Riley by way of Brown County (:n00b:) means that you'll get home at 4am. But the shared time with lovemywoods and bwframe was worth it. :yesway:
    • I REALLY liked the new berms at Riley Conservation Club.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    And how DO you perform reloads one handed?

There are many ways.

I had rhino rig up one of his paracord lanyards on mine that allowed me to simply "drop" the light, change the mag, and then get the light right back into action. Thanks to HICKMAN for the paracord. :yesway:

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    Alright, I finally had some time to sit down and reflect on last night's class.

It was a great class full of many INGOers I've met before, and more that I'm glad to know now (not you downrange72 ;)).

HEY HEY HEY...:D

I need to invest in some nice warm socks for sure. I too stayed comfortable until the drills.

The Surefire that I had worked fine until the figure 8 drill. Having to quickly depress the button twice to illuminate the targets at 200 lumens cost me a lot of time.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Did you use the Fenix at all?

I ran the Olight while lovemywoods ran the Fenix TK15. He had some very good observations that I'm sure he'll share.

I'll have a full comparison review on these two lights at a later date.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    For me personally, this class was a much greater challenge than the last few I've been to. Yes, learning to integrate pistol + light + bulky clothing had its challenges-- but for me it was more of a mental challenge to keep fighting through some equipment failures. However, I feel like I learned MORE from this class because of these failures than I have in previous classes, when things were smooth sailing.

I learned that I have more light control with a jaw-index grip. When shooting around some barriers I would also transition into the FBI technique, in order to keep my light on target. While the jaw-index grip pointed really naturally for me, I also felt like it integrated well into my natural startle response and fighting stance.

What kind of equipment failures did you have? What did you learn from them?
    I've never heard of the jaw-index grip and FBI technique?

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    What kind of equipment failures did you have? What did you learn from them?

we had to pay to find out, and so will you ;)

I write my reviews and edit my videos to show what can be learned in the classes, but not to give away the content.

Be sure to sign up for next years course, I'm sure I will be there again.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    we had to pay to find out, and so will you ;)

I write my reviews and edit my videos to show what can be learned in the classes, but not to give away the content.

Be sure to sign up for next years course, I'm sure I will be there again.

LOL! That wasn't necessary a question to be anwered. I was trying to state I had never heard of them. :D

I'm more interested in the equipment.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    What kind of equipment failures did you have?

My Glock 19 had several failures to fully return to battery, resulting in my clearing malfs like a crazy mo' fo' for a while. We made several unsuccessful attempts at a diagnosis during class. I will be heading down to BC on Tuesday to really get into it and see what's up. I'll probably turn it into another review. :D

What did you learn from them?

I learned that you can't let failures get you down mentally. I was forced to simply clear the malf and push through. While attempting to diagnose the issue I got a little behind on reloading mags while my relay was offline, so I had to play catch-up, all while trying to focus on what was being taught. Oh, and it was cooooooold.

It was a great exercise in patience and persistence.

The jaw-index is were you use the jawline to index your light, as seen here:

2llyejr.jpg

This allows you to not only ID your target, but it also illuminates your sights.

The FBI Hold is when you hold the light up and away from your head. While this does offer less of a direct target for incoming fire, I feel like it opens me up more for a close-in attack to my support side. I would use this only when I needed to due to the surrounding cover/concealment.

Here you will see KEHO using the FBI technique, slightly modified (far left shooter).

xgfz42.jpg

Last edited:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    My Glock 19 had several failures to fully return to battery, resulting in my clearing malfs like a crazy mo' fo' for a while. We made several unsuccessful attempts at a diagnosis during class. I will be heading down to BC on Tuesday to really get into it and see what's up. I'll probably turn it into another review. :D

I actually hope you do turn it into a review!

The jaw-index and FBI technique. I was taught those 2 methods, but never knew thats what they were called.

Josh Ward

Master
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 13, 2008
    Fortville/Greenfield
    Hell Evan, I didn't realize your back up was malf'ing too.....that would definatly lead me to believe its an ammo issue. I could see one gun having the issue, but two glocks having the same issue.....either a lube issue in the cold (I don't buy that with a glock) or ammo, makes the most sense...

Josh Ward

Master
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 13, 2008
    Fortville/Greenfield
    What hand held / weapon lights performed best?

I had no equip issues at all. (Surefire E2D Defender and Ed Brown SF 1911) I've been using the E2D for a long while. I actually prefer the dual output levels that JT mentioned, sometimes the hi output is just too much, and makes it HARDER to see, not easier.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...I'll probably turn it into another review. :D

Or a paper weight!:):

I had "gun problems" too. They went away when I took off the UA gloves. Was it the gloves fault? Don't think so. Riding the slide, web overriding grip safety, etc.
    It boils down to shooting with gloves on is way different than doing it under stress. Clearing cover gear, moving, getting a grip to draw, lighting your "threat." That's a lot to deal with, RIGHT NOW.

hschmidt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009

I learned that you can't let failures get you down mentally. I was forced to simply clear the malf and push through. While attempting to diagnose the issue I got a little behind on reloading mags while my relay was offline, so I had to play catch-up, all while trying to focus on what was being taught. Oh, and it was cooooooold.

It was a great exercise in patience and persistence.

The jaw-index is were you use the jawline to index your light, as seen here:

2llyejr.jpg

This allows you to not only ID your target, but it also illuminates your sights.

The FBI Hold is when you hold the light up and away from your head. While this does offer less of a direct target for incoming fire, I feel like it opens me up more for a close-in attack to my support side. I would use this only when I needed to due to the surrounding cover/concealment.

Here you will see KEHO using the FBI technique, slightly modified (far left shooter).

xgfz42.jpg
    Sorry - i noticed you had problems - i could have let you have my g19 or some different ammo..

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Did you use the Fenix at all?

I ran the Fenix TK-15 light in class. I enjoyed this light quite a bit!

Positives:
    -- This light is very well built and has four light levels. The button to change levels is on the side of the light, near the front (about a third of the way back). I typically chose the light level I wanted to use (either 3 or 4) and then left the setting alone for that drill.
    -- The light feels good in my hand and it came with a lanyard that I used successfully in class.
    -- The beam is clear and easy to get on target. Even with my older eyes, I could see the targets clearly.

Negatives:
    -- Because of the placement of the button that changes light settings is near the front, you can't easily make changes to the light level while you're using the light in an active shooting scenario.
    -- The nylon holster provided by Fenix was awful. It was thin material and WAY TOO SMALL. Combine the size with the thin nylon material that easily buckles and you get a holster that's unusable. After struggling to get the light out of the holster during the first drill, I just kept the light in my coat pocket the rest of the evening. I will say that the multiple ways they provide to attach the holster to the belt is nice. So, the design is good, just fix the size and material shortcomings.

Top Bottom