• SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Yep, slap em together and have fun.

Also, I have used several PSA lowers and build kits. Their trigger is just so-so and gritty. Save up for a better trigger and you will be pleased.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    They will work together. Im normally not a fan of the PTAC stuff, and I have heard the barrels have had issues from others on the forum. Not sure if its the 1:9 or 1:7 twist. I think it was the 1:9 that had issues, so You should be good to go.

If it were me I would spend a 60 dollars more and get Blemished PSA M4 16'' CMV CL Upper - With BCG and Charging Handle

It was the 1:7 that had the issues...
    Please do yourself a favor and order the premium upper instead of that PTAC crap. The entire PTAC line is an entire disgrace to an AR15. I'm tired of bashing PTAC... just use the search function on here to find out where that product line stands. You get what you pay for.... and for a $440 PTAC AR, you'll get literally the most bottom of the barrel AR that has even been mass produced and distributed. Spend $100 more and get quality.

You can afford to cheap out on an AK... it'll always do the job damn well whether its a $1250 Arsenal or a $350 WASR.... But a PTAC AR lacks the quality that you'd get with just spending $100 more.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    cleaning will definitely be a must!

ARfist_zps03db433f.jpg

Huntinfool

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    I would also recommend spending just a little extra. It will go al Lon way in quality.

I do like PSA, just that any companies cheapest line is a very low level of quality

kingpin75

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    greencastle
    They will work together. Im normally not a fan of the PTAC stuff, and I have heard the barrels have had issues from others on the forum. Not sure if its the 1:9 or 1:7 twist. I think it was the 1:9 that had issues, so You should be good to go.

If it were me I would spend a 60 dollars more and get Blemished PSA M4 16'' CMV CL Upper - With BCG and Charging Handle
    Ok. I'm going with this upper. is the lower decent enough? How hard is it to build my own lower? do I need any special tools?

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    The lower is fine that you have listed.... plus a good price. I am not a huge fan of the blackhawk buttstock, but that can be changed out later very easily if one wants. As someone else mentioned earlier the PSA trigger can be quite gritty, but will still work just fine.

Assembling a lower is easy. Youtube is your friend in this case and there are many tutorials.

If you wanted to assemble your own lower, you really dont need that many tools. A hammer, screwdriver/allen wrench (depending on grip or screw they supplied), armorers wrench, and a few punches... A vice helps but is not needed.

Last edited:

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Ok. I'm going with this upper. is the lower decent enough? How hard is it to build my own lower? do I need any special tools?

look at some youtube vids. you can do it without tools, but takes some creativity. Also, you'll likely not get the buffer tube (castle nut) on as tight as you should. Everything else is quite easy. Look a vids and diagrams, and give yourself a couple hours. (I've only assembled 2, and the second one was much faster than first. You can buy a stripped lower and then a lower parts kit (LPK), make sure you get a buffer tube and stock, since some LPKs come w/o since they think you'll buy separate

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    Not trying to discourage you from anything, but what's your purpose for this rifle? (Strictly a blasting toy is a perfectly acceptable answer). A rifle is not much fun if you can't afford ammo for it, and it sounds like you are on a shoestring budget for this setup.

If its just a toy to shoot paper targets with and to develop some marksmanship skills, a .22 is still a great option, even with ammo running scarce and at $0.12/round. Lots cheaper than $0.35/round, and still a .22 hole in the paper.

If this rifle will be used for home defense or hunting, spend the little extra for a forged aluminum lower and decent PSA upper. The polymer lowers might be fine, but the "real deal" aluminum lower is worth the extra few bucks....Palmetto State has blems right now for $50.

If you are going to be using iron sights, look at a mid length vs. the carbine length...longer sight radius = easier to shoot more accurately, plus a little softer recoil impulse.

Just $0.02 worth from someone who did a lot of homework on AR's before my first one.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Not trying to discourage you from anything, but what's your purpose for this rifle? (Strictly a blasting toy is a perfectly acceptable answer). A rifle is not much fun if you can't afford ammo for it, and it sounds like you are on a shoestring budget for this setup.

If its just a toy to shoot paper targets with and to develop some marksmanship skills, a .22 is still a great option, even with ammo running scarce and at $0.12/round. Lots cheaper than $0.35/round, and still a .22 hole in the paper.

If this rifle will be used for home defense or hunting, spend the little extra for a forged aluminum lower and decent PSA upper. The polymer lowers might be fine, but the "real deal" aluminum lower is worth the extra few bucks....Palmetto State has blems right now for $50.

If you are going to be using iron sights, look at a mid length vs. the carbine length...longer sight radius = easier to shoot more accurately, plus a little softer recoil impulse.

Just $0.02 worth from someone who did a lot of homework on AR's before my first one.

+1
    Amen brother. You couldn't have said that any better.

Top Bottom