• Ever had an accidental or negligent discharge

• Total voters

Z-Glock23

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2010
    Highland,IN
    Myself no, but not long ago near here some guys I know were "racing" to field strip their guns and one of the guys shot through his hand and into his buddies ankle. Just goes to say always clear the chamber!!!!!!! And then check again to make sure the chamber is clear.
    :+1:Always double check!!

Bowling_R

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Guilford
    Yes, When I first started dating my wife, Her dad had an old Stevens double barrel shotgun he kept loaded that was in bad shape that sat in the corner of his bedroom, I asked if I could take it and clean it up and refinish it for him.
    When I finished the job I sat it in the corner of girlfriends room at the end of the bed because I wanted to make sure I was the one who showed him the results,later that day acting like and idiot I went running into that room and jumped on the bed to mess with her and I heard this scraping sound......just as I turned around I got to see one of the barrels go off .........the gun was in a corner against the wall and bed, and I bounced the bed hard enough to get it rocking and "i guess" one of the hammers got fouled on the bed frame and smacked or pushed hard enough to set it off. Married the girl, and still am not allowed to have that shotgun.........heh.
    ..........Yeah, it was pretty embarrassing.....

ArmyMP

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Fred Paris's republik of Franklin
    I have had 2.... 1 scary as hell

I had a little 380 go off in a buddies apartment and blow a whole through his TV and waterbed.... we had just pulled it out of his safe and set it down to strip and clean..... I dont know why he kept a loaded gun in the safe....

I also had a AD with my Mark 19 in korea.... Something in the cocking assembly failed and put a round down range into a target on a pistol range.....

Larryjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Portland, IN
    I'm really telling on myself here but I have had a couple mistakes. First when I young (15ish). Was preparing to go out rabbit hunting with an older double barrel 16 gauge. I loaded it in the house and was heading for the door when bang! There was a hole in the ceiling fortunately and not someone. I must have had the hammer back and then put my finger on the trigger.

2nd time I was showing my wife how to chamber and then decock my semi auto 45. The fire resulted from chambering the round too softly so round did not chamber that last little bit. While I was decocking the round chambered completely and my finger split off the hammer causing the gun to go off into my countertop.

No one hurt on either.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    My thumb crampped at the most inopportune time once. Was dropping the hammer on my 45 and accidently let go while my finger was still on the trigger. Shot my Jeep. Now I place my other thumb between the hammer and firing pin to ensure it can't go boom.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Modern firearms don't fire unless you intentionally pull the trigger.

With respect, I beg to differ. Yes, guns do go bang when your finger is not on the trigger, especially those platforms with inertia firing pins, 1911s, ARs, 870s, inter alia. High primer, dirty gun, "lucky" day, what have you.

Every time, every single time, you should anticipate the weapon discharging upon loading or unloading.

The Four Rules light is always on.:cool:

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I luckly have not.

I had an absent minded fraternity brother put a .40 caliber hydroshock through a block wall while showing off a glock at a fraternity party. I wasn't there at the time of discharge, but the crater was a scary reminder of why college students, beer and guns just don't mix well.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Never had an accidental discharge, but rather a dumb a** attack once. Someone once gave me some small pistol primers they had and the box looked stained as if it might of gotten wet once. So, I decided to load a few and try them without powder and bullet in my sp101. Knowing it would be louder than many might think in a house, and not wanting to risk debris shoting out, I placed the muzzle on one of the wifes pillows on the couch and tested it. I did NOT have a clue just how hot a primer burns. Burned a nice sized hole right into the snow white pillow !

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    I personally have not ever had any type of discharge that wasn't in a controlled environment and expected. However, when I was 16 my buddy was playing with his dad's .22 wheel gun which he thought was unloaded but wasn't. He pulled the trigger, gun went bang, and a new hole was added to the wall in the living room. Fortunately no one was hurt but my buddy told me his dad beat his a%$ when he got home.

Thank God no one was hurt. That scenario had "After School Special" written all over it.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Glad to see most people said no, but the 8% (yes, accidental) is a little frightning to me personally.

Don't forget the 18.6% calling theirs negligent discharges and you've got about 26% of the posters letting rounds fly at random and those are only the ones who will admit it in a public forum.

They better head back for some more snap cap trigger time in front of those mirrors.

Win52C

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    You should change 'NO' to 'NOT YET'
    TOTALLY AGREE..if you say you have never had one...you are either full of it OR it just hasnt happened yet! I have been around guns my whole life....hunting, shooting, cometition, etc...finally got mine last fall...and it was all MY fault...luckily my Garand was pointed towards the sky...when i went to engage the safety and tripped the trigger by mistake! I was alone ...just let my mind drift for 1 second and that was all it took! OK, now I'll go say my Our Fathers and Hail Marys...will 10 be enough? :D

vtxrecruiter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    West Indy
    Sadly, yes. Shooting a Colt Single Action, tried to de-cock with sweaty hands, and bang. Luckily it was pointed on target. Still won't shoot single actions....

Top Bottom