Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Hello,

I am wondering what kind of accuracy expectations you folks have from your iron-sighted bolt action rifles?

With handloads, I'm getting consistent sub-2" groups at 100 yards (maybe a shade over; I used a GPS to measure), and, at times, I get a cluster of three with two close fliers. Still working on that.

I've not used a lead sled or anything; my shooting is strictly front rest only, and my eyesight in my aiming eye runs around 20/40, so I'm sure the rifle is capable of touching the holes consistently.

Thanks!

Josh

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    for me, it's hitting the paper. i was darn happy when my 91/30 put all 5 rounds in the rings out at WW, with one lucky shot in the bullseye (fluke lolz).

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I can get my 8mm mauser to consistantly hit 3" circles at 150yrds (resting on bags of course) usuing turk made ammo with the iron sights. I can take it out further but the groups get a lil bigger due to me not being able to see that far out,lol. But for a stock old mil surp rifle not to bad I dont think. The mauser is way more accurate than my Mosin's but the Mosin's deffinatly have the cool factor, lol

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    For me it depends on the rifle's sites, and my eyes. Getting older makes using a lot of iron sites a real pain, and I know that the rifle is capable of much better than I can see. As an example, I can usually keep a K31 or M39 (those sites I can actually see!) inside of 2" with no problem, give me a Mauser and I struggle to hit paper, let alone shoot an actual group. I let my son shoot that same Mauser, and it shoots under 3" all day long.

Top Bottom