• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Thanx for the reply guys. Simply nuts what they want for them. i have several AR15's both DI and piston. Im bored with them and want something different to play with. Im still shopping best price...but i think i may try to track down an E4 MSAR instead. The prices on these 2 are jumping up a little more now.

Those e4s are cool. They are getting hard to find now that the company went belly up in ch. 11.

hondatech2k2

Shooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Jul 10, 2011
    Greenwood
    SCAR all the way!
    I purchased my 16s 2 years ago for $2350 including transfer fees and shipping. I have fired well over 2k rounds of ammo ranging from 55gr-79gr. Function is flawless and action is smooth. Felt recoil is comparable to a full size AR15 platform (20" barrel/A2 stock). Maintenance is as easy as cleaning the ar setups if not slightly easier. Overall weight of the platform with my eotech, surefire, afg, sling, and a full mag is around 8.5lbs.

Overall I am extremely pleased with mine and would make the purchase if I had to do it over.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    The ACR is just a bit too heavy. My only gripe with the SCAR is the charging handle that flies back after every shot

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    The ACR is just a bit too heavy. My only gripe with the SCAR is the charging handle that flies back after every shot

You mean just like an AK or an M14 or most auto shotguns do? :dunno:

It seems funny to me that people complian about the charging handle on the SCAR but never on an AK. Both reciprocate, and on the SCAR you can change it to be left or right handed. But people only complain about the SCAR. If your used to an AK then the SCAR in right handed config is no different. IMHO atleast. Im used to it so it doesn't bother me I guess.

nucone

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkansas in the Ozarks

It seems funny to me that people complian about the charging handle on the SCAR but never on an AK. Both reciprocate, and on the SCAR you can change it to be left or right handed. But people only complain about the SCAR. If your used to an AK then the SCAR in right handed config is no different. IMHO atleast. Im used to it so it doesn't bother me I guess.
    :+1:

black label

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Hobart
    I also own a 16s great gun never had any problems out of 1000 rounds fired, I haven't met anyone with an acr. I did handle both before i bought mine, and just preferd the feel of the scar. Plus It's pretty light and recoil is almost non existent.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI

Agree, pretty much most the rifles that I have seen reciprocate, but have only heard about it from people going from an AR to the SCAR, but its so prevalent on every other rifle that I consider it a not point. Besides, I believe that the ACR does as well, although I could be off. I know the ergonomics of the ACR felt off to me, which was one reason I didnt get that one, but since everyone is different on those, i never mention the "personal" things.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI

If you have ever held the SCAR with the charging handle on the left side, you'll understand how the charging handle flies back and hits your hand if you don't hold the gun right. This problem has forced a lot of people to swap the charging handle to the right side and train with it like an AK. The original purpose of having the charging handle on the left side is a more convenient place to reach the charging handle for malfunctions and just to charge the weapon. The AKs problem with the charging handle is it was never designed to lock back the bolt and you need to rack the charging handle every time you reload.

The issue with the SCAR charging handle is if they designed it to be on the left side of the gun, then it should work, not hit my hand every time I hold it

TLHelmer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Evansville area
    If you have ever held the SCAR with the charging handle on the left side, you'll understand how the charging handle flies back and hits your hand if you don't hold the gun right. This problem has forced a lot of people to swap the charging handle to the right side and train with it like an AK. The original purpose of having the charging handle on the left side is a more convenient place to reach the charging handle for malfunctions and just to charge the weapon. The AKs problem with the charging handle is it was never designed to lock back the bolt and you need to rack the charging handle every time you reload.

The issue with the SCAR charging handle is if they designed it to be on the left side of the gun, then it should work, not hit my hand every time I hold it

Now you have me wondering how we hold the rifle differently! I haven't had that problem when shooting it with the charging handle on the left. I keep my support hand as far out as I can get it on the hand guard.

nucone

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkansas in the Ozarks

images

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville

Here is a little hint. DONT HOLD IT BY THE MAGWELL.

Ive run my SCAR-16 with the handle on the left and right. I prefer it on the right bc that is the way Ive learned with an AK. I also use a Magpul AFG and I dont train to hold my rifle by the magwell. It even specifically says in the SCAR owners manual not to hold the rifle by the magwell. So if you hold the rifle correctly then it wouldnt hit your hand.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Here is a little hint. DONT HOLD IT BY THE MAGWELL.

Ive run my SCAR-16 with the handle on the left and right. I prefer it on the right bc that is the way Ive learned with an AK. I also use a Magpul AFG and I dont train to hold my rifle by the magwell. It even specifically says in the SCAR owners manual not to hold the rifle by the magwell. So if you hold the rifle correctly then it wouldnt hit your hand.

I DON'T hold it by the magwell. I hold it at the handguard with thumbs over it, Magpul style. The charging handle interferes with how you run the gun that with the gun as stock. Getting a different charging handle helps. Where the charging handle hits me is the front of it hitting the back of my hand because I grab too close. I needed to get the rail extension to grip farther, by PWS. Like these guys

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzLesJdCvnQ[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC3EmQwv8hk[/ame]

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I DON'T hold it by the magwell. I hold it at the handguard with thumbs over it, Magpul style. The charging handle interferes with how you run the gun that with the gun as stock. Getting a different charging handle helps. Where the charging handle hits me is the front of it hitting the back of my hand because I grab too close. I needed to get the rail extension to grip farther, by PWS. Like these guys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzLesJdCvnQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC3EmQwv8hk

Hmm then it sounds to me like you don't have the LOP adjusted correctly. Shorten up the stock one notch and reach as far forward as you can. This should help, If not switch the bolt handle to the right and run it like an AK.

Honestly Ive never had any trouble running the SCAR AK style. As you mentioned unlike th AK the SCAR does hold the bolt open so you dont even need to use the charging handle to drop the bolt. All you need to do is stroke the bolt release with your weak hand as you reload. Its pretty easy after some practice.

I assumed it was hitting your hand on the back stroke as this is the case with most Ive talked to about the SCAR and its always bc they are holding the rifle by the magwell.

Sorry for the assumption.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I know the bolt release on the SCAR is like on an AR, so it's easy to learn. I just don't like charging handle on right side because during malfunctions, I need to do it like an AK and it's easier for the charging handle on the left side so I can rack it while tilting the rifle down to clear any malfunction like a double feed. Would be nice if they make a BAD lever for the SCAR.

I actually keep forgetting to adjust the stock's length of pull sometimes depending on what I am wearing that day.

I also like the charging handle on the right side because when I do one handed with my right hand only, I can rack the handle against something if it is on the left side. For the left hand only, I need to do a leg pinch

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    They do have an interchangeable charging handle, and i have seen a pretty nice aftermarket one that is angled downward. It is also a little larger so should help out with some of the other problems. I have never had any problems with it

advan031

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    SoCal
    I didn't buy an ACR because of all the non favorable reviews over the SCAR and plus the fact that it's heavier as well. I own both 16s/17s and I love them both!

Excalibur, your issue is easily solved by holding it correctly...lol

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I didn't buy an ACR because of all the non favorable reviews over the SCAR and plus the fact that it's heavier as well. I own both 16s/17s and I love them both!

Excalibur, your issue is easily solved by holding it correctly...lol

Just more learning

Top Bottom