• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    well crud! due to circumstances beyond my control, more or less, I'm not going to be able to attend this one. :(

SO I will have to do my best to convince you guys you need to do another one @ Riley....... otherwise Ill have to wait until september and catch you in Indy.

Really bummed!

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    This is a GREAT class and VERY affordable - if you're kicking it around, make it happen! You won't be sorry!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Could you speak a little bit about how this class fits with your Basic and Intermediate pistol classes?

Sure!

The BP100 and IP101 classes are solely about fundamentals and developing techniques
    for accomplishing those fundamentals. We do not spend much (usually none) talking
    about applications because the basic skills are useful regardless of application.

DP101 is where we start to focus toward the application of defending yourself or
    someone else. To that end, we may refine some techniques (such as the retention
    position in the draw/presentation). We'll also introduce some ideas and techniques
    that don't play much of a role outside of defense (or combat) such as scanning
    for threats, moving off of the line of force, etc. In the lecture portion of the
    class, we'll talk about ideas like mindset and some of the details of how to make a
    puny handgun as effective as possible via knowing where the better target areas are
    and that you need to fire as many rounds as it takes to solve the problem.
    Essentially it's the foot of a bridge that you will start to build to span the gap
    between your fundamentals and basic techniques and wherever you choose to end your bridge.

In DP101 and subsequent courses, we try to help you get farther across that bridge into
    the realm of the tactics you might employ while excuting your shooting and gunhandling
    techniques for defensive applications.

I hope this helps!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    well crud! due to circumstances beyond my control, more or less, I'm not going to be able to attend this one. :(

SO I will have to do my best to convince you guys you need to do another one @ Riley....... otherwise Ill have to wait until september and catch you in Indy.

Really bummed!

Now you have to tell us what's up! Maybe we'll have a workaround!

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Ramrod & I are still planning on it but I have to get a couple more things out of the way 1st. Sorry for being such a slacker.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Let me know! Email me for the forms.

Emailed & attached forms (whoops, forgot my LTCH image, see 2nd email). :ingo:

How much was the deposit to hold the spot? It didn't say on the registration form. I guess I could PayPal it to you guys if you need it ASAP.

john67103

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 6, 2009
    Fishers
    class yesterday

This was my first class with ACT. I have taken a few other training courses, but am just starting on my training days. I noticed that there was minimal overlap with the NRA basic pistol and it was the previous class I took. There needs to be a basic proficiency with your weapon to take this class as marksmanship is not the focus of the class. The instructors were knowledgeable, enthusiastic, and respectful. I liked that they were open to questions at any time and knew what was to be covered was serious stuff but without a little humor, you won’t relax enough to learn. Taking this class was quite informational. There were some things that were review but many things that were new or slight modification of what I was already doing. Some of the topics covered were grip and stance as well as shot placement. If you haven’t had a class with movement, mag changes and malfunction clears, it really can be challenging. I found myself comfortable with the drills but it took me most of the day to get the hang of doing everything at the same time. It was nice to not just go through a drill but also have the instructor critique and let me know things I was missing. I will be taking away lots of points to remember and drill on in the future. I greatly enjoyed the class.

Evermoore

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    This was my first class that I have taken and I must say I was a little worried if I was ready.. It (my shooting) started off a little shaky, but with a little guidance from John and Coach I settled down and felt I did okay. I went out and shot about 200 rounds today using the tips they gave me and could not believe the difference.

Great class, great guys. I can't wait to get into some of the other ACT classes.

+1 :rockwoot:

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    This was my first class that I have taken and I must say I was a little worried if I was ready.. It (my shooting) started off a little shaky, but with a little guidance from John and Coach I settled down and felt I did okay. I went out and shot about 200 rounds today using the tips they gave me and could not believe the difference.

Great class, great guys. I can't wait to get into some of the other ACT classes.

+1 :rockwoot:

None of us are ever done working on accuracy or speed. There is always room for improvement . With that said your shooting was fine. I am glad you found the tips valuable and I hope the whole class felt the same way.

Evermoore

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    "I am glad you found the tips valuable and I hope the whole class felt the same way."

For sure. Trying to work a couple buddies into hitting one up!

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    If you guys haven't seen it, Hop posted in ACT's section with a couple videos from yesterday. If you go to his channel you can see the others he uploaded.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...and_training/209902-aar_acts_dp101_class.html

I enjoyed the class. I was worried it may not be the one for me, but it was perfect. I wasn't looking for a class to teach me the fundamentals as if I were a first time shooter, but for one that would help me expand on and refine the skills I already have. I don't have much else to compare to since this is the only class I have attended, but I liked that there was no "it's our way, or our way" mentality. Just because a grip, stance, motion works for one person doesn't always mean it will work for everyone. Yes, the instructors' way may be more efficient, but I may be more proficient with a slight variation of what they are demonstrating. I don't recall a single instance with myself or any other student where one of the instructors talked down to them or told them they were completely wrong with what they were doing. From what I remember, all comments and remarks were constructive and helpful. I also liked how there was structure to the class, but it was also a laid back atmosphere. Now that I have a formal class under my belt, and have an idea of what to expect, I am considering signing up for DP201 after I get some more range time and work on the items we were taught.

The biggest, and maybe only, complaint I have for the day was Rhino only gracing us for a short amount of time due to his tardiness. For this I feel like I was ripped off. :):

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The biggest, and maybe only, complaint I have for the day was Rhino only gracing us for a short amount of time due to his tardiness. For this I feel like I was ripped off. :):

My sincere apology, sir. I am sorry and suitably ashamed!

On the other hand, had I been there all day, I'd probably be apologizing for being around you guys too long! Hah!

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Thanks for the kind words, guys. Apparently, we need to tell Rhino even EARLIER. Great day, happy to meet and train with new shooters.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Has the punctual streak come to an end?
    Say it aint so Joe:(

He was on time, he just went to the wrong place. :):

Kinda, sorta!

I wasn't planning on being there until the afternoon. I sent a text message to my boss which was in my SENT box, but it never arrived at the destination. Then I made a mistake on the location, so it took me longer to get there than I had anticipated.

Top Bottom