• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana
    Just posting this info because I've been hearing a lot about how there are "record number" of LEOS being killed this year.

The fact is that this is not entirely true. While it is slightly higher in 2011 than it was last year, it is not "record numbers"

National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund: Officer Deaths by Year

This is the 2011 "preliminary" report:

National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund: Preliminary 2011 Fatality Statistics

Note that 28 deaths so far have been from "other causes" - they do not specify what these are but they are not from Gunfire or Traffic Incidents and are probably health or other accident related deaths.

Also be advised that the DOJ has stricter criteria for "line of duty" deaths and so their listings are actually less than the NLEOMFs (the NLEOMF, links I posted, includes deaths NOT in the line of duty and also includes federal officers).

Keep in mind people that anyone being killed by a criminal (and yes there are even criminals who happen to be wearing badges) is "bad"

While being an LEO is a dangerous profession, it is seeming more and more that being just a "regular joe" citizen is becoming dangerous when dealing with police. Especially with the continual release of video after video of excessive force and flat out criminal actions by law enforcement.

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    2011 2010 % Change
    112 99 +13% Total deaths
    46 36 +28% Gunfire
    38 48 -21% Traffic Incidents
    28 15 +87% Other Causes

I believe these stats cover work related deaths, not personal illnesses.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    The numbers that Officers keep a close eye on are "Death by gunfire" which are up 13% from the same time last year. Also the Traffic Accident category is down by 20%.
    Which means that.
    Overall there are more deaths, and fewer of them are accidental.
    Also.
    Keep in mind that these statistics don't track the thousands of non fatal gunshot, knife, blunt instrument, etc. injuries that LEO's receive every year.

thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana
    The numbers that Officers keep a close eye on are "Death by gunfire" which are up 13% from the same time last year. Also the Traffic Accident category is down by 20%.
    Which means that.
    Overall there are more deaths, and fewer of them are accidental.
    Also.
    Keep in mind that these statistics don't track the thousands of non fatal gunshot, knife, blunt instrument, etc. injuries that LEO's receive every year.

This is true, however I wasn't addressing the statement (which I haven't heard yet :-) ) about "record numbers of leos being injured".

Yes "death by gunfire" is up 13 percent this year according to the NLEOMF... I would wonder though if some of those deaths were "friendly fire" incidents as it is well known (or should be) that NLEOMF includes ANY gunfire death in their "gunfire deaths" category. There have been several reports this year of officers being shot by their own, granted in some cases it was an officer who was committing a crime or committed suicide. If it was a "gunfire" death then it would be included in those stats.

It's one of the reasons the DOJ stats are lower.

For example the NLEOMF lists the deaths in 2008 at: 141
    In contrast the DOJ lists the deaths at: 41

That is 100 less than the NLEOMF statistics.

Again that is due to the fact that the NLEOMF includes deaths that are not due to officers being killed "in the line of duty".

On a side note I have tried to find the stats of people killed by police (not to "stir up animosity" but was curious to the actual number in light of all the recent "problems") but haven't been able to find any detailed info. Apparently this isn't tracked as well.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    This is true, however I wasn't addressing the statement (which I haven't heard yet :-) ) about "record numbers of leos being injured".

Yes "death by gunfire" is up 13 percent this year according to the NLEOMF... I would wonder though if some of those deaths were "friendly fire" incidents as it is well known (or should be) that NLEOMF includes ANY gunfire death in their "gunfire deaths" category. There have been several reports this year of officers being shot by their own, granted in some cases it was an officer who was committing a crime or committed suicide. If it was a "gunfire" death then it would be included in those stats.

It's one of the reasons the DOJ stats are lower.

For example the NLEOMF lists the deaths in 2008 at: 141
    In contrast the DOJ lists the deaths at: 41

That is 100 less than the NLEOMF statistics.

Again that is due to the fact that the NLEOMF includes deaths that are not due to officers being killed "in the line of duty".

On a side note I have tried to find the stats of people killed by police (not to "stir up animosity" but was curious to the actual number in light of all the recent "problems") but haven't been able to find any detailed info. Apparently this isn't tracked as well.
    If you check out this site;
    Law Enforcement Line of Duty Deaths in 2011
    You can read an account of every LEO death going back many years.
    I may have missed it but I don't recall a single "friendly fire" death in all of the years I've been reading this information.
    LEO's are actually trained to look "beyond" their intended target and try to anticipate the results of errant shots.
    They don't always manage to do that in the heat of a shooting situation, but the training is given none the less.
    I was an ILEA Certified Firearms Instructor from 1984 until I retired and I always included "Unintended target avoidance" as part of my training. :)

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Actually, departments are supposed to send those figures to the DoJ, but most do not. There's no method to force them to comply, so they don't, (despite the fact that Congress passed legislation mandating it). You'd just have to extrapolate from news stories or other sources. The last thing most departments, (and the police unions) want are firm figures on the numbers of people shot by cops in a given year. It would not paint a pretty picture in some areas.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Actually, departments are supposed to send those figures to the DoJ, but most do not. There's no method to force them to comply, so they don't, (despite the fact that Congress passed legislation mandating it). You'd just have to extrapolate from news stories or other sources. The last thing most departments, (and the police unions) want are firm figures on the numbers of people shot by cops in a given year. It would not paint a pretty picture in some areas.
    Of all of the Departments that you are now, or have even been affiliated with, how many fail, or have failed in the past, to report those injuries to the proper agencies?
    I'm sure the DOJ would grant you protection under "The Whistle Blower Act" if you'd come forth with documentation to prove your claim. :)

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Actually, departments are supposed to send those figures to the DoJ, but most do not. There's no method to force them to comply, so they don't.

What percentage don't report? Typically, participation in federal programs (grants) require participation in this type of information collecting.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton

That is flat out bull s---! I would sure like to see your source. Do you have one or did you just pull that out of the air? And the typical tin foil hat anti LE,anti government sources don't count as they have zero credibility. Back your claim up with facts.

thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana
    If you check out this site;
    Law Enforcement Line of Duty Deaths in 2011
    You can read an account of every LEO death going back many years.
    I may have missed it but I don't recall a single "friendly fire" death in all of the years I've been reading this information.
    LEO's are actually trained to look "beyond" their intended target and try to anticipate the results of errant shots.
    They don't always manage to do that in the heat of a shooting situation, but the training is given none the less.
    I was an ILEA Certified Firearms Instructor from 1984 until I retired and I always included "Unintended target avoidance" as part of my training. :)

Thanks for the link I will check it out. I am assuming the numbers are going to be similar if not the same as the other links? From a brief perusal it looks a bit more detailed than just a bunch of numbers. Note that two of the officers shot in that link (for 2011) were by "friendly fire".

Yes I know, I used to be a cop :) Come from a whole family of police officers as well. "Vicarious Liability" was the term most often used. Every time I had to unholster I had half a dozen things that didn't have a whit to do with my own safety going through my head (the main one being some version of what the report is going to have to say and how long will I be typing it).

Last edited:

thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana

I recall reading a similar statement while I was looking for those stats. Apparently you may be right that the info is not being kept... can't say for sure on the "why".

thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana
    That is flat out bull s---! I would sure like to see your source. Do you have one or did you just pull that out of the air? And the typical tin foil hat anti LE,anti government sources don't count as they have zero credibility. Back your claim up with facts.

Actually I found a similar statement while searching for those numbers. It was mandated by congress that such information was supposed to be reported to the DOJ but there are no official numbers that I can find.

I can't say exactly WHY that is, that would be mere speculation on my part, but it does SEEM that the reporting agencies don't have a big interest in keeping those numbers and the agency they are supposed to be supplying that info doesn't seem interested in making them do so.

Now there is a possibility that the numbers are being kept, just not being released to the general public.

Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    UCR is data reported by the police departments in which the crimes occur. If they don't send the data to the FBI then the FBI doesn't report it. That's the way it goes.

j706 if you don't believe that, do some research or take some criminal justice classes and you'll read about how the UCR works in every book you touch for the first year or two.

Top Bottom