• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    I would like to add a light rail to my 2nd Gen G17.

Does anyone know if a company or person who will cut factory style rails into my frame? I would prefer this method because the chance of it fitting an off the shelf holster would be a lot greater. I would prefer to not use a Kydex slab holster.

If I were to use one of the aftermarket rail adapters, such as the CAA GL-A1, would I be able to use a standard weapon/light holster (BH Serpa or SF ALS)?

The CAA mount attaches to the front of the trigger guard. Brownells has a rail that bolts through the Serial # portion of the frame and seems a little more low profile and truer to a factory mount.

Anyone? :dunno:

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    I had one of the CAA adapters on a 17 Gen2 and I could not find any standard gun/light holsters that would fit the combination.

Also, I had enought problems getting it to stay steady under recoil (even on a 9mm) that I had to gorilla glue it to the frame. It stuck well enough and (as a plus) I was able to take it off the frame just by removing the trigger guard clamp and twisting on the rail. Almost all of the glue stayed on the rail and the gun looks just like before.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    I had one of the CAA adapters on a 17 Gen2 and I could not find any standard gun/light holsters that would fit the combination.

Also, I had enough problems getting it to stay steady under recoil (even on a 9mm) that I had to gorilla glue it to the frame. It stuck well enough and (as a plus) I was able to take it off the frame just by removing the trigger guard clamp and twisting on the rail. Almost all of the glue stayed on the rail and the gun looks just like before.
    Thanks for the input. My last resort was going to be ordering one and asking for holsters to try it out on.

It looks like I may need to weigh my other options then.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I think I would go with a trade. I don't have a Gen 2 to look at, but I think there is considerably more material there for the rail whereas it's not available to machine out on the Gen 2.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    I think I would go with a trade. I don't have a Gen 3 to look at, but I think there is considerably more material there for the rail whereas it's not available to machine out on the Gen 2.
    I had read mention of this as well, but I wasn't having much luck searching Google with the right terms to get a decent amount of results.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Glock will exchange your Gen2 frame for a Gen3 frame for about $150, so in order for selling/trading your pistol to make economic sense, you would have to get at least $350.00 for it.

I once knew of a gunsmith who would machine factory-style rail cuts into the Gen2 receivers, but can't think now of who it was. Neither Boresight Solutions nor Bowie Tactical Concepts advertises such a service on their websites, and they were my first two guesses. :(

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Glock will exchange your Gen2 frame for a Gen3 frame for about $150, so in order for selling/trading your pistol to make economic sense, you would have to get at least $350.00 for it.

I once knew of a gunsmith who would machine factory-style rail cuts into the Gen2 receivers, but can't think now of who it was. Neither Boresight Solutions nor Bowie Tactical Concepts advertises such a service on their websites, and they were my first two guesses. :(
    It wouldn't be difficult to do with the right tools, but for only $150 for the swap I'd just go that route.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

I didn't know you could do that.
    Sounds like the best option besides trading for a Gen3.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Or if you like the Gen 2 better, I thought there was a Gen 2.5 that was a Gen 2 Grip with a light rail.

:dunno:

Or maybe it was just a bad dream I had once.

Last edited:

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield

Yea, I have read Glock will exchange frames, but if I am going to do that I would much rather trade/sell what I have and go full Gen3.

Someone mentioned Robar doing machining, but I don't believe they do it any more.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Not entirely, but that may end up being the route I will need to go. Especially if I am wanting to use a Serpa or ALS holster. I doubt any rail adapter would work with either of these holsters.

Its what I would recommend. Many guys prefer the Gen2, so trading shouldn't be difficult.

If the presence of the finger grooves on the Gen3 really bothers you, you can always shave them off.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    Its what I would recommend. Many guys prefer the Gen2, so trading shouldn't be difficult.

If the presence of the finger grooves on the Gen3 really bothers you, you can always shave them off.
    I don't mind them on my 19, but having never really messed with a Gen3 17, I don't know how different the spacing/size of them differs.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The swap sounds like the way to go. Correct me if I am wrong but the size and brand light has a lot to do with the holster fit. Went through this with other semi-auto's.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    Well, after looking at the offerings from Blackhawk and Safariland (which I guess I should have done before my initial post), what other options do I have for a light bearing holster? Blackhawk requires I use their light, and Safariland seems to only offer either a drop leg or a Level III setup.

Top Bottom