• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeepcrazed

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 25, 2011
    ok. I am only beginning to learn about blades, but I'm looking for a knife to give my dad for his 70th birthday. Something nice to replace his..."probably got it at a flea market for $2" knife. I'm not looking to go insane, but the budget could go up to the $200 range.
    Like me, he's a freakish lefty. Wondering what, if anything, that changes for us, in terms of looking for blades. Locking mechanisms, etc.
    Looking for a folder for everyday use, just to cut whatever my 70 year old dad might decide he wants to cut. He works around the house, and they have a camper they use, so he uses his knife a fair amount.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Look at the Benchmade models that use the axis lock system. Also, look at some of the Spyderco models that use the ball bearing lock system (Manix 2 models as an example). Benchmade's axis lock and Spyderco's ball bearing lock are ambidextrous....perfect for lefties! :twocents:

Corporal D

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2010
    SE Side
    It's more than double your price range... but hear me out. Chris Reeve makes some lefty models, his knives are outstanding. It'll last him for the rest of his days, and then since you're also a lefty, it'll serve you well after with the added sentimental value of having been your dad's. Personally I think it'd be worth the investment long-term, but I understand how convincing the wife to starve the children for a few weeks might not go over so well lol.

Chris Reeve Left Handed Large Sebenza 21, 3.625" S35VN Blade, Titanium Handle - KnifeCenter

I realize that probably falls under "insane" to you, but I thought you might want it as an option.

Otherwise, go with Brad's suggestions, those are all solid knives.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Personally I think it'd be worth the investment long-term, but I understand how convincing the wife to starve the children for a few weeks might not go over so well lol.

I'd have to say that for Jeepcrazed, convincing the wife about ANYTHING is going to be a significant challenge.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Spyderco makes lots of nice lockback options. If your dad likes lockback knives an Endura would be a nice knife. Reversible pocket clip and you can't get much more ambi than a lockback. And they are sub $100.00 range so it won't break the bank and the wife won't break your ass.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Axis lock would be a good option.

Spyderco and Zero Tolerance also drill and tap a lot of models for tip up carry, tip down, left hand, right hand.

Frame locks aren't bad to operate one handed, but that axis lock is a pretty simple system for wrongies....I mean lefites

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    I'm a huge fan of my Zero Tolerance 0566. It's got holes drilled on each side, top and bottom, so you can move the clip to anywhere that's comfortable. It uses a flipper, so righties and lefties can use it. It is Spring assisted, but you can easily remove the spring inside of it to make it a normal folder. If he doesn't like spring assisted in general, I'd pay the little extra and get the 0560 or 0561. They are not spring assisted, but use ball bearing, so they open smoother than the 0566.

Jeepcrazed

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 25, 2011
    An update...
    I contacted Brad, from Brad's Knives. We met and he brought a myriad of knives for me to try. And try, I did. Wow. Having a knife in hand, you learn so much.

I found some that work well for *this* lefty, and others...not so much. The Chris Reeve, while absolutely beautiful, was NOT lefty friendly. I would have had to get the lefty special, if I were going that route. The ZTs, I felt were also less friendly to the wrong handed population.

The Benchmades were by far the most suited...or the least biased against the lefty world. The Axis lock can be easily manipulated with either hand. I decided on the Benchmade 484 Nakamura for my dad. A beautiful knife, the contoured G10 handle feels great and solid. The knife also has a gentleman-ly look I thought he would appreciate. He seems to be pleased with it.

Many thanks to Brad. If you haven't met and worked with Brad before, I would highly recommend it. He has a huge selection, in every price point and was incredibly helpful.

and Brad...that "other" knife I got from you...? The new owner is very, very happy with it, too. Thanks again.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GlockFrenzy
    Top Bottom