• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I recently acquired a 1956-vintage Smith & Wesson M&P (pre-Model 10) .38 2" snubbie and am looking for suitable ammunition for the range. What I want is something with reasonable recoil but, more importantly, something which will not be too hard on my old "cop gun". I had it in my head that what I wanted was 130 grain FMJ. As I look at the figures on muzzle energy and muzzle velocity, though, I wonder if I might be better off using 158 grain FMJ. Any opinions? :dunno:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Are you sure it is chambered in 38 Special? If so, any standard pressure 38 special load will be fine for the range. The 130 metal case is especially wimpy compared to the 158 factory ammo.

If you want to be real easy on the gun, just shoot the 148 dbwc target loads.

Dirc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Noblesville
    I'd imagine factory .38 special would be just fine, but if you're worried about beating it up and don't plan on shooting it a lot, you could just have some mild loads made for you. I'm sure Aszerigan (ProFire Arms and Supply) would be able to assist at a very reasonable cost. I haven't personally done business with him but he's been very helpful in the past and has a great reputation.

longhuntr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    something else to keep in mind is that the sights on a gun that old are probably regulated to hit point of aim with 158gr. roundnose.semi wadcutters of the same weight will still probably hit pretty close.lighter target wadcutters will be a little off. the 130grain loads may be off several inches at 25 yds.

Top Bottom