• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jroe

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Greenfield
    I have a 4" XD40 that has always shot to the left a bit and because of the way the sights are staked in I can't seem to drift them. I'm debating on just buying some tritium sights and finding someone to install them.
    What sights should I get, or am I missing something simple?

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    I have the Meprolight Tritium sights on my XD. Love em. Had to do some dremel work on the sights to get them to slide in on the gun, but once I got them fitted, they work great. If you are shooting left though, adding new sights won't change anything. They will line up just like any other set of sights. If you are shooting left, try to put less finger on your trigger. Shooting left means you are jerking the gun when you pull back on the trigger, which is usually caused by having to much finger on the trigger. Try putting just the farthest point of your finger on the trigger, and don't jerk it back when you pull. Nice and smooth.

Jroe

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Greenfield
    I have owned it for 2 years, and everyone I've ever let shoot it had the same issue. I get decent groups with it, just consistently left of bullseye, and the further back I go the further left the holes in my targets. I even tried shooting from a bag rest once... I'm fairly positive its the sights

Jroe

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Greenfield
    If it means anything, I own several pistols and shoot fairly well with them. What gets me is that it has one of the best feeling triggers when I dry fire, but its the only pistol I own that I've never shot well. It feels fine in my hand, and is similar size to some of my other pistols, so I don't know what else it could be.

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    You should be able to move your front sight. It has a pin in it to keep it from moving, but you can push the pin out, and then take a hammer and a small piece of brass or soft metal, and tap the front sight to the left. You could also move the rear sights to the right to correct the shooting left.

Getting new sights won't really do anything, because they will just go where your previous sight went. Just move the sights you have on it now.

Jroe

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Greenfield
    I would, but like I said the sights are "staked" in place. They look as if they were slid into the dovetails, then stamped on both sides so the sights can't drift. I have a CZ P-07 that came with plastic sights, and I replaced them with steel night sights, so I'm not a complete novice, but I admit this is my only XD

Jroe

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Greenfield
    The purpose of getting new sights is more to have tritium sights for carry or night stand duty... Basically it seems more pain in the a** than its worth to mess with at this point, so if I'm paying someone to mess with the sights I might as well upgrade

Jroe

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Greenfield
    Thanks Evil Elmo, I read good reviews on the TFO's, but wasn't sure if they were really any better than the standard tritium sights. Is there a particular reason you prefer them?

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    I didn't realize you wanted night sights for the purpose of a night gun. My mistake. I was thinking you wanted to get night sights to fix your left-shooting issue. I highly recommend the meprolight night sights. I bought mine on Amazon. As for someone that could do it, PM indygunworks on here. He did a 1911 for me a few year ago, and he did a phenomenal job. I'm not sure if he is still doing any gunsmithing work, but it couldn't hurt to PM him.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    I have factory installed Trijicons on my XD9 SC. When I bought a service model with standard sights, I didn't shoot it as well. Once I out some Trijicons on the 4", I shot it much better.
    The second set was a gift and I tried to put them on myself. I managed to crack the front tube and it went dim a couple days after my crappy work. I sent the slide to Trijicon and they fixed me up for a fair replacement price on the front.
    You're on the right track. Don't make my mistake. The XD sights are crazy tight IMHO.

Top Bottom