• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    I was looking at the laws in Indiana today and saw there is nothing stating you cannot carry on a college campus only K-12. I attend PNC (Purdue North Central), in their law-book it states this:
    Firearms
    Possession and/or use of firearms is strictly prohibited on campus property unless authorized by the Campus Police Department.

I don't go back to class till Wednesday and I am planning on talking to the Campus Police to see if there is anything i can do to become authorized. I figure they might want to ask me questions like, why do you want to carry on campus and stuff like that, so i want to prepare myself for these questions.

Any advise on how to go about this, what I should expect, or maybe even someone who has had experience in this situation would be greatly appreciated. :)

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Some will say concealed means concealed, and you have to assess the risk of carrying to protect yourself vs that off getting expelled.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they tell you to buzz off, and swing by to check you out one day.

I know I had to get a letter from IUPD before applying for my LTCH from BPD, so I could be totally off and they'll say "go ahead".......but I wouldn't hold my breath

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I believe being authorized by Campus Police Dept. would be solely given to LEO of another area or certain secret service ops. IMO. Just remember, it is NOT illegal to carry on campus. Only against rules. You can get kicked out of college. You can not be arrested like if you carried at a high school.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I'm betting they will tell you that they won't authorize anyone. Period.

Uniformed Campus police, yes. Other agencies or even their own off-duty? Who knows. The real question is, what are they going to do if they find out, assuming they say no?:dunno:

jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    Those are good points, and I have thought about just carrying it on my belt or in my backpack, then I don't have to worry about accidentally flashing it (i have a G19). I really don't want to get kicked out over it.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I really don't want to get kicked out over it.

Oh, I know that feeling. I'm a Junior, pay out of state solely through loans. If i get kicked out without a degree, I'm over $100k in debt for nothing, just wanting the ability to protect myself.:xmad:

jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    Oh, I know that feeling. I'm a Junior, pay out of state solely through loans. If i get kicked out without a degree, I'm over $100k in debt for nothing, just wanting the ability to protect myself.:xmad:
    That's my problem. Junior so I only have a year and a half now. Sounds like I have a lot of thinking to do.

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    I know I had to get a letter from IUPD before applying for my LTCH from BPD, so I could be totally off and they'll say "go ahead".......but I wouldn't hold my breath

What's the deal with this? I lived in Bloomington when I first applied for a LTCH and didn't have to get any additional paperwork.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    While it would be neat to see the look on their faces when you asked for authorization, jokes aside. I wouldn't do it. I agree that they would deny you and you would be making yourself a target for harassment. Do the smart thing. Get a kel tec if you can afford it and a IWB holster or pocket holster. I'm still trying to convince my wife to carry at school (Ivy Tech) she is to worried about getting caught and kicked out.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    What's the deal with this? I lived in Bloomington when I first applied for a LTCH and didn't have to get any additional paperwork.

I can't find it now, and didn't know better at the time, but they made me get a letter from the IUPD police Chief stating that he found I was a "proper person" in the PDs eyes for a license. Didn't push it, as I said, I didnt' know better. If I had, I wouldn't have gotten it, and if I'd had a problem with getting BPD to take my app, take it up with the State Police.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    IF I were to carry on a college campus today...I personally wouldn't wear my pistol on my hip. If it were ME, it'd be in a Maxpedition bag of some sort that would never leave my control.

But this is retrospective of how my time was spent...I was around a LOT of people ALL the time.

And to repeat what has been said above; carry on a college campus isn't against the law; but will be against university rules.

-J-

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Any advise on how to go about this, what I should expect, or maybe even someone who has had experience in this situation would be greatly appreciated. :)
    Just a thought, but if you have any sort of class that would have a 'paper' that needs to be written that could incorporate guns then you could go to the campus police with the theoretical question of how to obtain permission and it would be part of your class work.

However, I would make sure that before I told such a lie that I did have a class that could justify writing such paper and I would have an outline for such paper and I probably would write such paper.

Creative writing course would be easy. But if you are an economics major you could study the economy of guns or something to that effect.

The Meach

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Nobletucky
    Hmmmm i don't wanna change the topic, i'm not in college but i have a few buddies who are (Marian in Indy). The campus outsourced their security to regular duty IMPD. What can happen to me if i get caught with it? (I OC 99% of the time) will i just be asked to leave? Am i running the risk of getting Jacked up?

Wesley929

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    NW INDY
    Students for Concealed Carry on Campus - ConcealedCampus.org Should be able to find any info you need here. Personally I carried on campus daily after Virginia Tech and didnt' tell a soul. Not even my roomates. Concealed means nobody sees it. Doors shut when its holsterd. Doors shut when the holster and gun are put away after getting home.

Don't do anything foolish and the only reason you should get caught is after using your "carried against the rules" firearm to save your life or the lives of those around you.

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    I can't find it now, and didn't know better at the time, but they made me get a letter from the IUPD police Chief stating that he found I was a "proper person" in the PDs eyes for a license. Didn't push it, as I said, I didnt' know better. If I had, I wouldn't have gotten it, and if I'd had a problem with getting BPD to take my app, take it up with the State Police.

All Indiana University students are required to bring a letter of clearance from the IU Police, 801 N Jordan Avenue, before the application will be accepted.

Gun Permits

But how do they know if you're a student? Maybe this applies to people living on campus? I know when I walked in the lady asked what street I lived on. I told her and she said OK and gave me the paperwork to fill out, no questions after that. Even after handing my license to her and seeing my age..So I'm thinking it has something to do with on campus living?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    What Beau said! If you can't hide your G19 get a keltec of Ruger LCP. $350 or less.

Whatever you do, don't go ask their permission. They won't give it, and IMO, it puts you on their radar. Maybe they have bigger fish to fry, maybe they don't. Your well being is you responsibility, so what they say shouldn't matter.

Many of us are in your shoes but you have to decide whats more important- following their rules or being true to yourself. Also, even if you did get "made" campus police would not necessarily have to prosecute you. They can let you off. It has happened at IU.

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    I go many ways on the issue, but I think when it comes down to it you have to weigh your situation and the risks. I take night classes at a community college and a lot of the students are older and more mature. I have carried a couple of times because I had left for school from somewhere other than my house. I try not to, but sometimes it happens and no one knows, except me. I signed the petition at the 1500 that concealedcampus.org had. I feel that you sould be able to carry if you have a permit, especially if you have to take night classes in a not so great neighborhood. In regards to your situation on your campus, good luck. Hope it works out.

Top Bottom