• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jbow

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2014
    Muncie
    This has probably been asked a lot but here goes. I have got the craving to start a long range gun built in 308. I have been looking at the usual subjects in a rem 700 and savage 10 fcp. I have found another gun made by fnh the tsr.
    I am wanting to use this gun for fun at the range and for some hunting purposes. I would like to keep it as somewhat light as possible. I am sure I will have to get a new stock and probably going to go with a Tom manners and a Harris bypod.
    I am looking for advise on the gun I should start with. I love the trigger of the savage but I do not like the big box mag that hangs off the bottom. I like the rem but have read the triggers are not the best. Do not know much on the fnh but has good reviews. I want to start with the best base rifle I can.
    Thank you in advance for all the advise and sorry if this has been asked a million times before
    jason

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Ive never messed with the FNH, but I also see no reason to re invent the wheel. You know the Savage and Remington are good options, so why not go with one, espicially if your looking at aftermarket stocks.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    If your thinking of aftermarket Savage or Remington would get the vote. But take a look at the Hog Hunter series from savage. They run a 20" medium contour barrel so it would be light enough to take and lug around in the woods to hunt with and more than suitable to shoot of a bench for accuracy at the range. Plus also includes the Accutrigger. An they can be had for a pinch less than $500 new or right at it. An there is a ton of aftermarket support for the rifle so your build options would be as far as your wallet will take you. Good luck!

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    Does anybody know anything about the tikka rifles.

I have a Tikka M595 Sporter that I purchased for $700 a few years ago. The Tikka is very well made and accurate. The M595 Sporter is no longer produced but the Tikka T3 Sporter is available for $1450 MSR. The Tikka T3 Lite has a MSR under $600. Tikka is known for good triggers, smooth actions, and guaranteed accuracy of 1” at 100 yards. I would check Tikka out before you make your decision.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    For ease of parts/options, I would build it on the 700 Remington action. I know, I know, that's what everyone seems to do, but there might be a good reason for that.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TravGreen2703!!
    Top Bottom