• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Was a member of AFSCME some years ago, working for the DoC. Dropped membership because they are, undoubtedly, a far-left loony-bin union, and I wanted no part of any such libtard union, nor any of my hard-earned (literally, working for the DoC) dollars supporting their libtard puppets.

Like GenCon, could care less about them pulling that conference. They've screwed things up enough, as it is. Look at who they voted in to the office of POTUS; the most anti-American, terrorist supporting low-life in the history of the office.

Or maybe we should give them a 'taste of their own libtard medicine' and FORCE them to hold their conferences. See how they like it.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

Whether they are liked or not is irrelevant. A great avalanche can be caused be a small pebble.

AFSCME gone? Ok.

GenCon gone? Ok.

Angie's List pulling work out of Indy? Ok...?

Salesforce, a $4 Billion software corporation "dramatically reducing their investment in Indiana because of the law..." Ok...?

Connecticut Becomes First State To Boycott Indiana Over LGBT Discrimination Law

As each one pulls out, whether right or wrong, it creates a perception of the act itself being "good" and failure to do so as "bad" by companies and organizations that care about their public perception.

It also seems that it is arguable that our law does NOT equal what many other states have done. Link: The Big Lie The Media Tells About Indiana's New 'Religious Freedom' Law | ThinkProgress

For this article I will stand in ignorance and let the lawyers explain (if they care to do so) whether the article is cogent or not.

Whether we Hoosiers agree or not doesn't matter. Gov Pence would have always pulled Indiana. Now, however, I doubt we will see anything near a President Pence in 2016. National coverage has already scuttled that possibility.

Regards,

Doug

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    I was not advocating one way or another...however the comparison is laughable. What I was trying to say was that many of these states that "have the same law" as we do actually have a law that adds homosexuality to the protected class with sex and race. Their RFRA laws are different because of that.

Right but at the same time some of the discrimination they fear has technically already been legal here. So either it's not a problem (most likely it's rare in this century and would continue to fly under the radar even if illegal), or it IS a problem and they weren't noticing and they think this law is somehow going to make people into bigots.

The fact is the Republicans lost this politically big time, whether it was legally a big deal or not.

Now if you don't oppose the law, you can be labeled a bigot. Heck just 10 min ago here on INGO I made some comments about Angie's list financials and their motives for stating they might leave Indiana. I was accused of "maybe not liking them because they don't hate on gays".

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    ... Gov Pence would have always pulled Indiana. Now, however, I doubt we will see anything near a President Pence in 2016. National coverage has already scuttled that possibility...

But here's the thing, Doug: it never was even a remote possibility to begin with. We haven't lost a thing. The powers-that-be were never going to let Mike Pence be President. And half the so-called "Libertarians" on this board would have peed down their legs and screamed bloody murder if he did achieve it. We can excuse Gov. Pence for "believing in the dream;" executive personalities are always supposed to have that super-confidence gene in them. But there's no reason for the rest of us to drink the Kool Aid. We knew Mike Pence will never be President.

Some are not going to be with Indiana on this. I suspect you're one of them. And that's fine. There is an (almost) unbroken string of Blue States running like a necklace around the Great Lakes, from Minnesota to Maine. Indiana is the only Red one left. We're the red pendant on the necklace, and we're that way for a reason. It's because we're still capable of resolving very fine intellectual distinctions on hot-button issues like this one. Let the cool kids chase the Bright Shiny Media Object of the moment. We know we're not in favor of putting homosexuals in the Gulag; we have nothing to prove to anyone. Let them deal with it. It's their problem. Pull your damn conventions. There's more to Indiana than Indianapolis...and there was life in Indiana before all the government-sucking businesses around downtown started trying to drive the bus.

If other states want to force religious Bakers to make gay cakes, bully for them. In Indiana, we continue in our (imperfect) quest for freedom. We will survive with our ideals, and show others how it's done. Some will follow our lead, and there's not a damn thing the cool kids can do about it.

That is what really scares the media talking heads.

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    How about we turn this around, what happens if the local nazi bund go into a jewish bakery and demands the state force the bakers into making a cake festooned with swastikas and a model of gas chamber on top? Lifestyle choice? Bad taste? What's the difference?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    How about we turn this around, what happens if the local nazi bund go into a jewish bakery and demands the state force the bakers into making a cake festooned with swastikas and a model of gas chamber on top? Lifestyle choice? Bad taste? What's the difference?

Has this occurred?

What's the outcome before the act? After?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Closest I can think of would be Skokie in the late 70s and it was resolved through a civil suit. People who feel that they have been slighted by a bakery not making a cake are free to use the civil legal system to seek damages. My question is, does all of this rise to the level requiring special legal status and government funding to enforce it.

rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    And in the meantime the bakery is forced to close to cover the legal costs. Why would anyone want to open a small business anymore? Or is that the plan?

Jason

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    And in the meantime the bakery is forced to close to cover the legal costs. Why would anyone want to open a small business anymore? Or is that the plan?

Jason

Can't disagree, but at least the person with the perceived injury would have to pony up some of their own cash for a lawyer and run the risk of losing it. That's a more level playing field than the government's bottomless resources and endless amounts of time.:)

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Jason

Governor was just on TV saying the law didn't allow people to refuse service to anyone. The guy who refused to provide rainbow cookies to a gay youth group wasn't sued was he?

I'm still not real sure what's changed.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Wonder what the attitude is towards Notre Dame and all the Catholic churches. As I recall the Catholic church won't marry a gay couple. The Catholic church will not make a woman a priest. Will all these same groups be boycotting the Catholic church too?

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Do those RFRA states have a law that recognizes homosexuals as a protected class? If so, they do not have the same law that we do here. Big difference.

Indeed. Such states would have a law that is less constitutional.

I have no doubt, though, that in the erstwhile Constitution State, some animals are more equal than others.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Wonder what the attitude is towards Notre Dame and all the Catholic churches. As I recall the Catholic church won't marry a gay couple. The Catholic church will not make a woman a priest. Will all these same groups be boycotting the Catholic church too?

No, they prefer to join it and destroy it from the inside with their hootenanny-style, "hands up don't shoot" poses during Mass.

Top Bottom