• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Scenario: You've used your handgun to defend yourself. Your wife is with you The aggressor is down at the scene. The cops arrive. You tell the cops that you feared for your life and that you'll make a full statement in the presence of your attorney.

Question: Does your wife have to give a full statement? Should she? What should she say?

An attorney is supposed to help you not say things that might be incriminating or prejudicial to your case while you're caught up in the emotion of the situation. Your wife will be just as upset, and couldn't she accidentally say something that would hurt your case?

ccomstock001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 22, 2014
    Shelbyville
    If you were going to wait for an attorney why wouldn't she? Everyone remembers things differently. As long as stories aren't completely different I would think it will be fine.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I guess I should have been more clear. She's going to get asked and she can't evoke the fifth amendment. I guess it seemed odd to me that she would say she needed to speak to an attorney before being a witness. I agree certainly that I wouldn't want her to make a statement at that time, but she would need to know what to say to refuse and right now I wouldn't know what to say to her. Lawyers step in please.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I guess I should have been more clear. She's going to get asked and she can't evoke the fifth amendment. I guess it seemed odd to me that she would say she needed to speak to an attorney before being a witness. I agree certainly that I wouldn't want her to make a statement at that time, but she would need to know what to say to refuse and right now I wouldn't know what to say to her. Lawyers step in please.

I'm thinking she ought to say the same thing you will. I would think any witness to any crime would have that right as long as they're not obstructing or interfering with an investigation.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Don't spouses have the same right as the shooter as far as incriminating you?

Colorado's spousal privilege applies to criminal prosecution???

Here the answer is no. She (or he now I guess) is simply a witness, just like anyone else.

I don't know the mechanics of Colorado's statute.

injb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Indiana

Why can't she just say she doesn't want to answer any questions until she has spoken to her lawyer and leave it at that? Same thing you would say surely?

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    When the cops get there the first words either of you should say is I need to speak with my attorney, no further words should be spoken about the incident until that happens...period. Cooperate but don't talk about the shooting itself.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Scenario: You've used your handgun to defend yourself. Your wife is with you The aggressor is down at the scene. The cops arrive. You tell the cops that you feared for your life and that you'll make a full statement in the presence of your attorney.

Question: Does your wife have to give a full statement? Should she? What should she say?

An attorney is supposed to help you not say things that might be incriminating or prejudicial to your case while you're caught up in the emotion of the situation. Your wife will be just as upset, and couldn't she accidentally say something that would hurt your case?

Why would she "have to". Absent a subpoena, no one "has to" say anything. However with a subpoena assuming nothing she could say would incriminate her (and that's an interesting analysis) she could be compelled to testify, but that's not happening that day.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    When the cops get there the first words either of you should say is I need to speak with my attorney, no further words should be spoken about the incident until that happens...period. Cooperate but don't talk about the shooting itself.

Ive been told by multiple trainiers (including LEO that do training) that an appropriate statement would be "I was attacked and feared for my life and was forced to defend myself. I will gladly cooperate with the investigation once I have had a chance to talk with my attorney."

Completely clamming up and refusing to even give an overall rough sketch of what happened (above) makes them have to try to figure out what happened based on what they see standing there minutes after the fact. It may not be obvious at that time without at least a tiny clue as to what happened. It could be the difference between sitting comfortably and sitting in cuffs while they investigate. (you still might be in cuffs for a bit even with that brief statement)

And I am sure it would get even messier if you are refusing to give ANY statement and one of the witnesses who didnt see the whole thing gives a statement that isnt in your favor. "I dont know officer, as I came around the corner of the building I saw that guy shoot the other guy."

(IANAL)

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I'm not going to give any magic words (there aren't any) but if it were me, if the context of what went on isn't obvious (hey, it could happen), I may want to say just enough to give the police the context and indicate that I want to be helpful....but nothing beyond that without counsel. No, I would not count on myself as counsel. I may blow in a call to the Pride of Lafayette. My wife? No, she shouldn't say anything unless and until counsel says it's OK or she is compelled to do so, but again, that would be weeks down the road if ever.

Last edited:

injb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Indiana
    I wouldn't remain completely silent because that can be used against you:

JUSTICE ALITO, joined by THE CHIEF JUSTICE and JUSTICE KENNEDY,
    concluded that petitioner’s Fifth Amendment claim fails because he
    did not expressly invoke the privilege in response to the officer’s
    question

From what I have read, if you want the protection of the 5th amendment you have to explicitly say so.

I also wouldn't want to neglect to say anything that could help in an emergency. But other than that, why risk saying something incriminating just to avoid being arrested? It doesn't make sense to me. I'm sure spending a day or 2 in jail would suck but in the scheme of things it's not that important.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    I wouldn't remain completely silent because that can be used against you:

From what I have read, if you want the protection of the 5th amendment you have to explicitly say so.

I also wouldn't want to neglect to say anything that could help in an emergency. But other than that, why risk saying something incriminating just to avoid being arrested? It doesn't make sense to me. I'm sure spending a day or 2 in jail would suck but in the scheme of things it's not that important.

Personally, every time I start to speak, I yell "I INVOKE MY 1st AMENDMENT RIIIGGGHHHTTSSS!!!!" Don't want there to be any confusion.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I'm not going to give any magic words (there aren't any) but if it were me, if the context of what went on isn't obvious (hey, it could happen), I may want to say just enough to give the police the context and indicate that I want to be helpful....but nothing beyond that without counsel. No, I would not count on myself as counsel. I may blow in a call to the Pride of Lafayette My wife? No, she shouldn't say anything unless and until counsel says it's OK or she is compelled to do so, but again, that would be weeks down the road if ever.

I lost count of the lawyerly disclaimers in just the first sentence!

Top Bottom