• ...and so much more!
  • catielynnb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    Louisville
    Dear INGO'ers

Hi. It's been awhile. But ... it seems I always come with a story. So, without further adieu, here's the latest in the

Epic Tales of Catielynnb

Today was the second day of the 'National Gun Day' (or whatever it was called) Gun Show at the KY Fairgrounds. As I wanted to just go look around, and couldn't make it yesterday, I took my little sister today. We just wanted to look, we'd never been to an actual gun show, and wanted to check things out.

Now, I have my fancy little carry purse, which I love, and I tend to tote my little 709 with me everywhere I can, legally. You're allowed to carry on the fairground provided that it is not the State Fair, so I did. Planned to walk into the gun show with no problem whatsoever. Figured they'd have a gun check, but that was all. On the way in I saw several people walking out OC'ing and didn't assume there would be a problem.

Managed to get to the line for the tickets (which was a complete rip-off, only two hours left of the show and they were still charging full price...) get both tickets and proceeded to the gun check. Took mine out of my bag, emptied the magazine and started to pick up my seven rounds to put them back in my bag. Oh no, totally not allowed. Had to seal them in a ziploc bag with my name on it and leave it at the desk. All I was told was to come back by when I left and pick it up.

Proceeded to walk through the show, looking at a few things and tinkering about. Found a few booths that I was interested in, mostly WW2 history because none of the guns were really catching my eye. Wandered over to a self-proclaimed Picker and found two small books, both well over 100 pages, from 1852 and 1855 and fell in love. They're sitting on my desk right now...

Ended up meeting a really nice guy there, and he and I talked history while he showed me several of his WW2 pieces, memorabilia and other things. I was impressed and he even invited both my sister and I out to meet the others who are part of the local German club.

The show ended at 3pm, and noting the announcements and the time my sister and I headed for the exit. Walked through the only exit doors, past where the gun check was set up, and saw.... no table, no guards no ... nothing.

Where was my ammo?!

I turned around to find another guard, not seeing anyone in the pavilion area, and asked

Me: 'Where are the guys who were doing the gun check?'
    SG: 'Oh, they left right at 3.'
    (I looked at my watch, notes time of 3:01. Sister looks at phone, here's says 3:03)
    Me: So ... who has my ammo that I left with them? Where are they?'
    SG: They left, I don't know.

WHAT?!
    ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!

(No, I did not say that. Although I sure wanted too. There may or may not have been steam coming from my ears.)

I also noted during this exchange that other OC'ers were walking out behind me, not many, but a few. They too had the same look on their faces.

The security guard I was talking too turned around, so I decided to find another, HE IGNORED ME!

:xmad:

How is it even FAIR that they kept my ammo?! Why did they have to take it in the first place...
    AND
    Excuse me, but I believe it is relative common courtesy to stay around if you're doing a Security job and make sure that all the people are actually leaving...

AND NOT TO STEAL THEIR AMMO!

Okay, I promise I'm done now.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I'm pretty sure it technically IS theft of private property for them to keep it from you like that. You'd think that the security guys would stick around for 30 minutes or so, after the show, so that people could filter out and pick up their stuff. And it would seem reasonable to put up a sign "We will leave and steal your ammunition if you do not pick it up EXACTLY at 3:00," so this kind of thing could be avoided in the future. It's not like it's a lot of money, but it's the principal of the thing. Doesn't exactly encourage people to come back to future gun shows...

catielynnb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    Louisville
    Well, as of now, KY Fair and Expo Center can only be seen from afar.

And, I know my seven cost me around $7 ... so yeah, it's not a whole lot of money, but I carry a compact-er gun. I'm trying to find the fairness in this, not just for me, but for anyone else that was carrying anything that had more than 10 rounds in it.

HIGHWAY ROBBERY!

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I never unload at the desk. I pull the mag and unload in the vehicle before walking in with my mag in my pocket, just in case. Then I just hand them my empty pistol.

catielynnb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    Louisville
    Just out of curiosity...

Had you not admitted to having that gun in your purse, would they have found out?

Purse check. Considering how my carry purse is set up, yes, it's very obvious.

I never unload at the desk. I pull the mag and unload in the vehicle before walking in with my mag in my pocket, just in case. Then I just hand them my empty pistol.

Next time. If I ever go back...

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Purse check. Considering how my carry purse is set up, yes, it's very obvious.

Oh. Gotcha. I know why they're persnickety about loaded guns at the show, but now you know the game...I'd file a complaint with the promoter. Probably won't do any good as my limited experience has been they are very customer oriented, but it wouldn't hurt.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    call the gun show organizers and tell them make it right or you are filing a report. Imagine all the free ammo their security is getting per show! Probably why they jetted by 3.

catielynnb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    Louisville
    Oh. Gotcha. I know why they're persnickety about loaded guns at the show, but now you know the game...I'd file a complaint with the promoter. Probably won't do any good as my limited experience has been they are very customer oriented, but it wouldn't hurt.

Explain to the newbie why they're so persnickety... although I'm assuming it has something to do with show-and-tell.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    This. Except I usually carry a revolver and drop my rounds in my pocket. Out of sight of the goons. Hell, half the time they can't even zip tie it, so it's half assed on and doesn't even make a difference. Sorry you lost your rounds, tho. I'd send a complaint letter to the show management.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Years back, most the shows I went to would have a very large glass jar half-full to full of ammo from people that forgot to empty their weapons before entering. Never have I heard of them "saving" in a bag. Usually you had a choice to take the ammo back to your car or deposit it into their jar.

I always got a kick out of that.
    Haven't seen any jars like that for years.

Have always just pocketed the mag and chambered round before leaving the car.

Strange thing about it is that the largest collections of ammo jars I've seen were at the California shows before they used cops to check in your guns. :n00b:

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I think this was Catielynnb's first gun show, so she wasn't aware of that requirement, otherwise I'm sure she would have done just that.

I second the official complaint, too.

catielynnb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    Louisville

Years back, most the shows I went to would have a very large glass jar half-full to full of ammo from people that forgot to empty their weapons before entering. Never have I heard of them "saving" in a bag. Usually you had a choice to take the ammo back to your car or deposit it into their jar.

I always got a kick out of that.
    Haven't seen any jars like that for years.

Have always just pocketed the mag and chambered round before leaving the car.

Strange thing about it is that the largest collections of ammo jars I've seen were at the California shows before they used cops to check in your guns. :n00b:

I'd have taken it to my car, if I didn't have to walk forever... yes, that's just me being lazy. And I'll admit to that, I'd have put it in my purse in a separate zippered compartment... but whatever. I'm annoyed, and hopefully I'll get an email out to them tomorrow.

I think this was Catielynnb's first gun show, so she wasn't aware of that requirement, otherwise I'm sure she would have done just that.

I second the official complaint, too.

It was, next time I'm going to be doing these things.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    . but whatever. I'm annoyed, and hopefully I'll get an email out to them tomorrow.

I'll probably get blasted for this, but it's only 7 rounds. Really worth fuming over it then, stewing about it on the ride home, and ranting at great length on a message board???

You got there and back safe, enjoyed time with your sister, met a cool person, got some cool books, and you're really going to let 7 stinkin rounds ruin your day?

Just let it go...

catielynnb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    Louisville
    I'll probably get blasted for this, but it's only 7 rounds. Really worth fuming over it then, stewing about it on the ride home, and ranting at great length on a message board???

You got there and back safe, enjoyed time with your sister, met a cool person, got some cool books, and you're really going to let 7 stinkin rounds ruin your day?

Just let it go...

Yes, because I can. And while I'm marginally less annoyed now, I was pretty livid with the actions of those in charge of the show itself and the security who decided to up and leave and those who 'it's not my problem' treated me.

JoFra, I have nowhere else to vent about things. Sorry if this wasn't your cup-o-tea message.

I would have called the police. And filed a report for theft. Let them deal with it from there. Would be a pricey seven rounds for them

The more I think about it, the less annoyed I get.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana

Just let it go...

It's not the ammunition; it's the principal of the thing. That they can confiscate private property, and then not give it back just because they don't feel like it.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground

I do the samething. I would contact the show promoter and give them the opportunity ro make things right. If not I would contact the local authorities and file a report.

Top Bottom