• ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I'm not sure about that.

Do you run a fancy connector in your guns? If so, do you see a significant difference in performance between that and stock?

Rob will have to answer this for himself as the question was directed towards him. As far as I am concerned yes I prefer the - connector. Between the Glock being too large for my hand and my carpal tunnel I find the lighter trigger helps. At the very least I don't have as many low, left holes in the paper. The trigger in my Glock 23 with - connector breaks just shy of 5 lbs according to the gauge.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Rob will have to answer this for himself as the question was directed towards him. As far as I am concerned yes I prefer the - connector. Between the Glock being too large for my hand and my carpal tunnel I find the lighter trigger helps. At the very least I don't have as many low, left holes in the paper. The trigger in my Glock 23 with - connector breaks just shy of 5 lbs according to the gauge.

On the Gen 4s, they run just shy of 5.5lbs with all OEM springs. I chuckle a little when people say it makes the trigger 3.5lbs.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    On the Gen 4s, they run just shy of 5.5lbs with all OEM springs. I chuckle a little when people say it makes the trigger 3.5lbs.

Mine is a Gen 3. I have noticed the Gen 4 triggers seem a bit stiffer. Mine is completely original except for the OEM - connector out of a G35 and I am on my second recoil spring. The - connector took the gun from 5.5 lb pull to just a hair under 5 lbs. To go lower a person could put in a reduced power striker spring. I have seen light strikes with this setup and would not recommend a reduced power striker spring for carry.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Mine is a Gen 3. I have noticed the Gen 4 triggers seem a bit stiffer. Mine is completely original except for the OEM - connector out of a G35 and I am on my second recoil spring. The - connector took the gun from 5.5 lb pull to just a hair under 5 lbs. To go lower a person could put in a reduced power striker spring. I have seen light strikes with this setup and would not recommend a reduced power striker spring for carry.

Pretty standard. The Gen4 steepened the angle of the trigger housing, and along with it the connector by about 5 degrees. The assist provided by the trigger spring is a COS function, where the angle of interest is the angle of trigger bar movement at the moment of release (controlled by angle of disconnector) - angle of force vector of trigger spring.

Cos(N) > Cos(N+5).

That's the reason for the dot connector to bring the Gen4/SF guns back in line with the the Gen3s. A slighlty shallower angle on the dot connector compensates for the steeper angle on the housing.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Pretty standard. The Gen4 steepened the angle of the trigger housing, and along with it the connector by about 5 degrees. The assist provided by the trigger spring is a COS function, where the angle of interest is the angle of trigger bar movement at the moment of release (controlled by angle of disconnector) - angle of force vector of trigger spring.

Cos(N) > Cos(N+5).

That's the reason for the dot connector to bring the Gen4/SF guns back in line with the the Gen3s. A slighlty shallower angle on the dot connector compensates for the steeper angle on the housing.

Yeah I will take your word on that. So what you are saying are the Gen 4 guns have triggers that are a bit stiffer. :):

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Could go either way on this topic. For the most part I prefer to keep OEM parts in my guns. I do have an OEM -connector in my Glock. However if tuning up a trigger helps people shoot better then I think it is a worthwhile modification to make to a defensive gun. I am in the process of having my guns refitted with shorter triggers so that they will better fit my smurf hands. I used to worry about lawyers and such but now I just want the best performing piece of equipment I can own. If that gives me an unfair advantage or acts as a crutch then so be it. "Fair is a term used by 4 year olds and democrats." :whistle: Yeah I stole that quote, whatcha gonna do bout it!?

I feel your pain, what with my racoon hands and all. On the bright side, mine are awesome for opening trashcan lids in the middle of the night. Not so much for reaching the trigger on a Glock.

All of my 1911s have short triggers, by the way, and slim grip panels.

Amen. People with average to large sized hands usually don't understand the challenge of pressing a Glock trigger without doing something funky to the alignment of the gun for people like us with toddler mitts.

One of the drills that Vicki Farnam has the students do in the DTI instructor course is shoot their pistols with bubble wrap wrapped around the grip to make it bigger. The goal is to get them to understand what it's like for people with manitos pequenos. For me, it was an unnecessary lesson!

Overwatch

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2014
    Putnam County
    From time to time, I have students ask me about replacing the trigger mechanism in their Glock pistol with a 3.5 lb aftermarket trigger. My personal opinion is that, while the lighter trigger does allow for faster follow on shots, this is an unnecessary upgrade. I am not a fan of aftermarket parts on Glocks. I have seen malfunctions caused solely by replacement parts that I felt were unnecessary. While I haven't seen this due to a lighter weight trigger, I simply don't feel it is needed to shoot quickly and accurately with proper training and practice. What are your thoughts?

I agree with your opinion. Many of my students look for an accessory solution to a training problem. Once properly instructed and practiced, very fast and accurate hits are possible with an out-of-the-box Glock pistol.

To echo your opinion, there is little on a Glock that needs to be accessorized, except maybe the sights. Yeah, probably definitely the sights, but that's about it.

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    I have shot glocks with different trigger bars and I cant tell the difference between the 3.5 and the 5.5. Maybe my old fingers just don't feel small differences. I just shoot what came in the gun and it works well for me. As stated before, practice is the best adjustment.:dunno:

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I've never found a need to try and lighten the trigger pull on my Glocks, but I started on a DA/SA carry piece and I also shoot a DA only revlover (poorly) pretty frequently.

I don't think I would want anything lighter than the standard pull of my Gen 4. Add that to the fact that I shoot my Glock more accurately than any other defensive pistol I've owned. I'm not going for 1 inch groups, just center mass.

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    :D

'xactly. With the same connector, a Gen4 will be about .5 lb heavier.

My G4 was a lot more than a bit stiffer. I had NHT3 do a polish and 3.5lb connector and it's still pulling around 5lb. The connector made a huge difference in my shooting however, I was consistently 4" low at 7yds. With the connector in I'm only 1" low at 7yds. I'm all for modest modification and that little piece of metal makes a world of difference in a G4. I've been looking at the ny trigger springs, but I don't want to un do what has been done.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    The ny trigger spring will make it much much heavier. I can't imagine why anyone would want a part made to satisfy libtard NY bureaucrats.

5-5.5# ACTUAL pull weight with polish and a minus connector is pretty standard.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I think how the trigger press feels also depends on your hand/finger size. The bigger your hands are and the longer your fingers, the better leverage you will have as well as significantly larger range of how you grip the gun where you can press the trigger directly to the rear. With shorter fingers, it's a lot less forgiving.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    MikeDVB

Too many incidences of attorneys making it out like the gun owner did everything they could to make their gun 'more lethal' and/or they wanted a chance to use said firearm on somebody due to how modified it was. No, I can't/won't cite sources - but I've seen them over the years.

As Chezuki said, no one ever cites examples of these "incidences".
    I just finished watching an episode of Handguns and Defensive weapons and this subject was addressed.
    Dave Spaulding commented that in his 36 years of law enforcement experience (his website) Home
    he was aware of 1 case of litigation where the trigger being modified had come into play.
    Just my :twocents: but when my life may be on the line I'm going to do what ever I can to improve my accuracy. Of all the skills you need to shoot a pistol well the trigger press in the quickest to fade without practice. That being said IMHO a great trigger can only improve your skills as long as the four basic rules are followed. The last time I checked it was ALL about hitting what you are aiming at.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]Ruger MK III, M&P & 1911mechanic
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] –[/FONT] Certified Glock armorer

Last edited:

Josh Ward

Master
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 13, 2008
    Fortville/Greenfield
    To quote R. Harris "Pulling the trigger is a WILLFUL act, if its a 1lb trigger or a 20lb trigger, its still a willful act. A 'good' shoot is a good 'shoot' regardless of the tool used"

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    I have altered my trigger...although it is with Glock factory parts. I use the "carry" trigger system. This uses the minus "-" connector with the NY1 trigger spring.

I find that I am far more accurate with this trigger than the factory trigger. I have assumed it's because of the "break" or stacking that you get on the factory trigger just before it breaks. With the "carry" system, although the pull is slightly more, the stacking is far less. So you have a more consistent trigger pull through the trigger break.

That is all that I have done, but it did provide very tangible results for me. YMMV

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    MikeDVB

Too many incidences of attorneys making it out like the gun owner did everything they could to make their gun 'more lethal' and/or they wanted a chance to use said firearm on somebody due to how modified it was. No, I can't/won't cite sources - but I've seen them over the years.

As Chezuki said, no one ever cites examples of these "incidences".
    I just finished watching an episode of Handguns and Defensive weapons and this subject was addressed.
    Dave Spaulding commented that in his 36 years of law enforcement experience (his website) Home
    he was aware of 1 case of litigation where the trigger being modified had come into play.
    Just my :twocents: but when my life may be on the line I'm going to do what ever I can to improve my accuracy. Of all the skills you need to shoot a pistol well the trigger press in the quickest to fade without practice. That being said IMHO a great trigger can only improve your skills as long as the four basic rules are followed. The last time I checked it was ALL about hitting what you are aiming at.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]Ruger MK III, M&P & 1911mechanic
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] –[/FONT] Certified Glock armorer

Ill second this.

the only time I have seen similar arguments in court it was because the shooter chose defensive JHP rounds over FMJ. I think this was back when Black Talons were all the rage and the antis were pushing to have them banned as cop killers.

indychad

Marksman
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    May 6, 2009
    Brown Co.
    Ill second this.

the only time I have seen similar arguments in court it was because the shooter chose defensive JHP rounds over FMJ. I think this was back when Black Talons were all the rage and the antis were pushing to have them banned as cop killers.

Massad Ayoob has two articles in the Sep/Oct issue of American Hangunner on this. It is my understanding that he has been an expert witness in multiple firearm related lawsuits. He finishes one article by saying "you wouldn't hand a loaded gun to your opponent on the street. Don't hand the equivalent to a politically motivated or clueless prosecutor, or a greed motivated plaintiffs lawyer. Using a lighter than manufacture recommended trigger on the gun you carry to protect your life, and the community you serve does just that." Makes sense to me. My two cents. He also refers to a few court cases where this was an issue.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Massad Ayoob has two articles in the Sep/Oct issue of American Hangunner on this. It is my understanding that he has been an expert witness in multiple firearm related lawsuits. He finishes one article by saying "you wouldn't hand a loaded gun to your opponent on the street. Don't hand the equivalent to a politically motivated or clueless prosecutor, or a greed motivated plaintiffs lawyer. Using a lighter than manufacture recommended trigger on the gun you carry to protect your life, and the community you serve does just that." Makes sense to me. My two cents. He also refers to a few court cases where this was an issue.

Massad Ayoob has to say something new every month, and there's only so many "is your j-frame enough" and "is this the new Glock killer" articles to be written. Civil suits are going to happen regardless. I can probably find some lawyer hungry enough to file a suit for emotional damage resulting from your post. Should you stop posting on the Internet?

Criminally, it does not matter. Not in the slightest. A good shoot is a good shoot, and a bad shoot is a bad shoot. It doesn't matter if you did it with a bolt action .22 short with a 16 lb trigger or an elephant gun with a 8 oz trigger.

Top Bottom