• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    My daughters boyfriend is 20 and has had his ltc since he was 18. He went into rual king 2 times now to buy a mavic 88. First time he didn't put it on layaway so had to redo paperwork because the serial number on what he was going to buy was sold...So the 2nd time he went in, he put the maverick 88 on layaway to avoid more paperwork. He says he wasn't denied but put on some sort of hold for 7 to 10 days. I didn't see any law saying you had to be 21 to buy a shotgun or rifle at tge current time.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    This article talks about.

I read it. Seems like nothing more than what it was before for background checks. Mental heath an such were deemed unconstitutional before because it was supposed to be private an such. If not the case, that info should have been used or accessed decades ago to determine the crazies.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I read it. Seems like nothing more than what it was before for background checks. Mental heath an such were deemed unconstitutional before because it was supposed to be private an such. If not the case, that info should have been used or accessed decades ago to determine the crazies.
    It's not just mental health. It allows more time to see if buyer had a juvenile criminal history as well I believe

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    You must consider another fact.
    Rural king is notorious for "observing rules" that are just that, corporate rules, and NOT law.
    The problem is that it is a private business and it is perfectly legal for them to enact stricter parameters than federal law requires.

Reactions: Leo

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    It's not just mental health. It allows more time to see if buyer had a juvenile criminal history as well I believe
    Sounds like a good thing, but what doesn't make sense is at that age he has a ltc which requires alot of scrutiny to get. You would think if they implemented more extensive checks that under 21, they would have pulled his ltc and made him reapply at age 21. ...if my writing makes sense to you. Have a hard time explaining at times.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Rural king is notorious for "observing rules" that are just that, corporate rules, and NOT law.
    The problem is that it is a private business and it is perfectly legal for them to enact stricter parameters than federal law requires.
    Yea, i seen the post of a member a few weeks ago explaining his situation thru them from years back thats in their system. I tild my daughter to tell her bf to talk to me before buying something. I told her to tell him to buy from dunhams. No problems what so ever at the Mishawaka store. I wouldn't see an issue at the laporte store either. They have great prices on firearms.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Yea, i seen the post of a member a few weeks ago explaining his situation thru them from years back thats in their system. I tild my daughter to tell her bf to talk to me before buying something. I told her to tell him to buy from dunhams. No problems what so ever at the Mishawaka store. I wouldn't see an issue at the laporte store either. They have great prices on firearms.
    Yeah, Rural king usually has pretty good prices on firearms, but the amount of hoops they force you to jui through is ridiculous.
    Don't get me started on the complete lack of customer service at times.

Reactions: Leo

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Yeah, Rural king usually has pretty good prices on firearms, but the amount of hoops they force you to jui through is ridiculous.
    Don't get me started on the complete lack of customer service at times.
    Should have mentioned the RK is the warsaw 1. I've bought ammo at the Logansport rk, but never a firearm.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Should have mentioned the RK is the warsaw 1. I've bought ammo at the Logansport rk, but never a firearm.
    Btw- when denied/delayed in one Rural king, it is in all of their data bases.
    You can't get denied/delayed at one and get around it by going to a different store.
    They're all linked.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    THIS. I refuse to buy a gun at a big box store. (well, unless I see its a black friday loss leader. Then I buy it there and NOTHING else LOL)

They all refuse to follow the law, which states that they MAY release a firearm on a delay if they dont get a deny in 3 business days. (just for 21+ now) NICS often doesnt even bother to contact the FFL except for explicit denies because they assume it will be released. At least RK and Dicks (when they sold guns) would not release a firearm without an explicit PROCEED. I talked to a guy at Dicks once who said he had a guy that never could buy a gun. He'd always get a DELAY. But since NICS would never call Dicks back with the PROCEED, they would never release it. And every time they'd re-run the check, they'd get a DELAY. :facepalm: I think the guy said he tried every few weeks for over a month before he gave up.

spankys56

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 11, 2014
    NWI
    New rule for 18-21, 7-10 day wait period. You will not walk out with your purchase that day if you are 18-21. Also there is wording on a private sale question that effectively puts you on the hook on a federal form if that gun turns up in a crime later on. This happend in the last couple months I believe. Be very mindful of who you sell to especially if it is under this new 4473.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    New rule for 18-21, 7-10 day wait period. You will not walk out with your purchase that day if you are 18-21. Also there is wording on a private sale question that effectively puts you on the hook on a federal form if that gun turns up in a crime later on. This happend in the last couple months I believe. Be very mindful of who you sell to especially if it is under this new 4473.
    Citation please? First I've heard of it.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Let us not lose track of the fact that "our man" Todd Young voted for this gun control. And then "we" reelected him. :xmad: :ugh:

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    When my son turned 18, he went to our local RK to buy an evil black rifle killing machine....ah.....a Ruger 556, filled out the form, got approved really fast, clerk said he'd never seen a background check proceed so quickly... probably because he was in JROTC in high school, and the planets aligned, and he scrunched his face just so...This was 2 years ago

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    When my son turned 18, he went to our local RK to buy an evil black rifle killing machine....ah.....a Ruger 556, filled out the form, got approved really fast, clerk said he'd never seen a background check proceed so quickly... probably because he was in JROTC in high school, and the planets aligned, and he scrunched his face just so...This was 2 years ago
    That was before the new regulation. His being in JROTC, while admirable, had nothing to do with it. NICS wouldn't know anything about it.

Top Bottom