• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kenjb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Indianapolis
    When I had Sirius/XM I loved to listen to the old radio westerns on 82. Gunsmoke, voiced by William Conrad as Matt, was my favorite. Also loved Jimmy Stewarts 'The Six Shooter'

When I was a kid I listened to "Gunsmoke" on the radio. Some years later it was moved to television. My most enduring memory of the first TV show is Matt getting shot in the chest. I knew then that it would be a different kind of western.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    When I had Sirius/XM I loved to listen to the old radio westerns on 82. Gunsmoke, voiced by William Conrad as Matt, was my favorite. Also loved Jimmy Stewarts 'The Six Shooter'

Ah yes. My favorite part of that channel. Paladen (Have Gun, Will Travel) with John Dehner, is my favorite.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Here. Maybe this will get the thread closed again...

f1e88ac10dc13ddb848e7a08efd92e0c.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Kids.
    A six shooter in the westerns used to be good for at least 12 rounds, horses never got shot somehow, and all indians Whooped it up with bad make up.
    I'm from a VERY SMALL town. Saturday mornings we'ed all go into town and mom would give each of us kids a quarter. For that quarter we could go see an old western, get an RC Cola or Nehi grape or orange, etc, and a treat. I liked the old Moon Pie or Peanuts in the bag we could put in our Coke.

Memories.......

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I remember two James Garner westerns that were favorites of mine, "Support Your Local Sheriff" and "Support Your Local Gunfighter". Both had Jack Elam, and Suzanne Plushette was in "Sheriff" and I remember being in love with her when I was just a tyke. Both comedies and were a lot of fun. I loved them both and own them on DVD.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I think in a way Sam Elliott and Tom Selleck are the exceptions though that prove the rule. Plus they aren't spring chickens any more.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    I read somewhere the holsters were lined with metal to make the draw quicker, IIRC. Only in the movies.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    i should have said new westerns to grow up on...I was like 2 when lonesome dove came out! And isn't 3:10 to Yuma from the 50's? We didn't really have actors I would classify as "western actors"

Open Range with Kevin Costner and Robert Duvall was fairly recent and a pretty good one at that. They remade 3:10 to Yuma and The Alamo recently and it looks like a new re-make of Magnificent 7 will be released soon.

Top Bottom