• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikemcbride

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    I was wondering if anyone has bought the k31 swiss straight pulls? I was thinking about picking one up but was curious on the quality and condition for Aimsurplus.

chipsher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    Logansport
    I bought three a few years ago. Still have two. The odds of getting one with a clean barrel are pretty good. They are Swiss surplus, the bluing on the receivers vary. I think you can still get reloadable brass and the bore diameter is .308 so reloading is easy. You won't find a more accurate surplus rifle and the triggers are superb.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Several, but not from that supplier. All were LGS purchases several years ago. Ours are mint condition relative to the stuff available now, so I'm a little biased when I see what passes for "good" condition these days. I'd be leary of purchasing site unseen without a bore check. But it sounds like it's still likely you'll get one with a good bore. I will add that accuracy and trigger are second to none among the milsurp rifles. By far my favorite.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    OP:

If you're not already set up for reloading...or are going to be soon... You'll also need to scour the 'net for ammo. the "surplus" stuff, as I understand it, ain't all that easy to find any more and spendy when you do.

Just something to keep in mind for ANYONE wanting to buy any kind of mil-surp.

-J-

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    OP:

If you're not already set up for reloading...or are going to be soon... You'll also need to scour the 'net for ammo. the "surplus" stuff, as I understand it, ain't all that easy to find any more and spendy when you do.

Just something to keep in mind for ANYONE wanting to buy any kind of mil-surp.

-J-

Sportsmans Guide has it now... not bad... 480 rds. Swiss Mil. 7.5 x 55 Ammo - 77537, 7.5x55 Swiss Ammo at Sportsman's Guide

I think they have free shipping this weekend too.

mikemcbride

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    cool thanks for the feedback! The ammo cost/ availability is also a concern especially compared to lets say a Mosin. For the price of the k31 I can get a Mosin and 880 rds, but my other dilemma with that the price of Mosins have gone up significantly in the past couple years. I dont want to spend $130.00 on a rifle that should be $99.00, and yes before someone says it I do understand supply and demand lol.

jspy5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Southern Marion County
    I can't comment on the quality of these rifles but most of them I have seen thru the years have a good to excellent bore. That being said some of the stocks might appear " chewed up " around the butt of the stock from the type of boot the troops wore. One other thing if you get one, check under the butt plate for any additional information !

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    cool thanks for the feedback! The ammo cost/ availability is also a concern especially compared to lets say a Mosin. For the price of the k31 I can get a Mosin and 880 rds, but my other dilemma with that the price of Mosins have gone up significantly in the past couple years. I dont want to spend $130.00 on a rifle that should be $99.00, and yes before someone says it I do understand supply and demand lol.

And I think NIB Ruger 10/22's should be $150. Doesn't make it so. In another 5 years the price of Mosins will pry be closer to $200. So might as well get one sooner rather than later.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    The only real concern with the Aim rifles is that the import mark they come with is very pronounced on top of the receiver. Most earlier import lots had marks elsewhere and much less conspicuous. If you are thinking of buying one mainly for collector value, this will probably ding the value a bit and I would look elsewhere. If you are mostly interested in a good shooter, you'll be happy.

I just picked one up a week ago from them, paid the extra $10 for the hand-pick and am VERY happy with what I ended up with. The receiver still has most all of its bluing, the stock is pretty decent shape and the rifling looks very sharp.

Here's a picture I found on the web of someone's Aim rifle. The import marks on mine look the same.

f3k31x5.jpg

mikemcbride

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Yeah it would be for a shooter not really concerned with collector value. I like the swiss crest in the pic but I agree the importer info is in an odd spot.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The K31 is a top notch rifle and the mil-surplus ammo is the best I've seen. A K31 and a pack of 480 rounds of GP11 mil-surp ammo will probably last the life of the rifle if you only shoot it occasionally. If you plan to shoot it a bunch, look into reloading for it to keep the costs down.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    How easy are these to disassemble and clean? Also, is surplus ammo of this caliber corrosive?

They're very easy to disassemble and clean. The surplus ammo is not corrosive, which is why these rifles tend to have such nice bores. It it Berdan primed however, so while it can be reloaded, it takes a little extra effort. The GP11 ammo is match grade stuff... nicest surplus you could ever want.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    I dont want to spend $130.00 on a rifle that should be $99.00, and yes before someone says it I do understand supply and demand lol.

A K31 is not in the same class as the Mosins you see sold in crates as surplus. The Swiss GP11 ammo is near match grade, non-corrosive, brass cased ammo. Comparing it to a wartime mosin and warsaw pact steel case surplus is like comparing an apple to a pickup truck.

Secondly - take a moment to think how much a Mosin would cost if Savage or Mossberg made that same rifle today. It would easily be a $500 rifle.

Streck-Fu

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Noblesville
    I own one though not from AIM. Do buy it. It is WELL worth it even at ~$300.....

Buy the GP11 ammo when you can get it. Just note that it is berdan primed so the GP11 brass is not reloadable. Pvri makes ammo that is almost as good and boxer primed.

Top Bottom