• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    I want hot flight attendants! Down with airline deregulation!

Agoraphilia: Pan Am and the Economics of Hot Flight Attendants

Sample passages:

For an economist, the most fascinating aspect of Pan Am is the highly attractive flight attendants -- or rather, stewardesses, since the show is set in the early 1960s. If you’re young enough, you might think that’s just TV. But I’m just old enough to remember flying in the 1970s, and I recall stewardesses who really were, in fact, hot. Okay, I was too young to understand the concept of “hot” -- but I was definitely aware that I was being attended by some very pretty young women.

Not so anymore. Flight attendants aren’t necessarily unattractive now, but they’re no more fetching than people in any other service profession that doesn’t get tips. And what’s changed? In a word, deregulation.

Prior to airline deregulation, which was passed in 1978 and completed over the next few years, airfares had been set by the Civil Aeronautics Board (CAB). For many routes, those airfares were simply too high. As predicted by a simple supply-and-demand model, airlines were willing to offer more flights at these high prices than customers were willing to buy. Under normal market conditions, that would lead to falling prices. But since the airlines legally could not compete on price, they competed on quality instead. They offered better service, better food, and... wait for it... more attractive stewardesses.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    I flew a lot in the 60's and 70's. The stewardesses was in more demand then playboy models back then. As great looking and more class. At least in the minds of most people. To have a stewardess as a girl friend was at the top of heap type thing then.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Actually "Flight Attendants" and something about the EEOC turned beautify "stewardesses" into anybody that can fit through an emergency hatch.

Last edited:

rotortech

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I used to travel frequently with my job. I witnessed the changes in personnel that the airlines hired. A couple of things changed. Women got vocal about not wanting to be judged by their looks on the job. Not all women, just the homely ones.

It used to be true that the airlines would dump a stewardess if she got fat, pregnant, or ugly. They constantly recruited young, pretty women for the job. Many women who wanted to be judged by their looks jumped at the chance. Things changed and lawsuits were filed so that the airlines could no longer fire an employee based on appearance. As long as they were doing their job correctly, they had to keep them. Even if they turned into the Sea Hag overnight. (Trust me, I have been on that flight).

A great looking stewardess is now a rare thing. Enjoy it while you can.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Step 1) Go to Hawaii

Step 2) island hop on inter-island jets

-J-

Negative Ghost Rider... go to the Netherlands via KLM... last time I was on one of their flights, there were 6 or 7 blondies that were uber hot (and I don't even like blondes). I didn't want to get off the plane. :xmad:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    We are where we are thanks to the continuing blessings of the PC movement. Now we have fat ugly chicks and gay guys.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Fly about any Asia-based airline. (Haven't flown Air Mongolia, so I'm not sure about that one.) Whether based in Japan, Korea, China, or Hong Kong SAR, 99% female and all of them very cute.

Always an interesting contrast to take one of these for a connecting flight, and then get the US carrier back to the States. Night and day. :(

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Fly about any Asia-based airline. (Haven't flown Air Mongolia, so I'm not sure about that one.) Whether based in Japan, Korea, China, or Hong Kong SAR, 99% female and all of them very cute.

Always an interesting contrast to take one of these for a connecting flight, and then get the US carrier back to the States. Night and day. :(

I'm not taking that chance. You can never be sure that they are female... just saying :dunno: :D

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    I had to do some traveling to DC from indy last year.. from here to philly, philly to DC not hot chicks.. From DC to NC, from NC to Indy.... NO HOT CHICKS.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Prior to airline deregulation, which was passed in 1978 and completed over the next few years, airfares had been set by the Civil Aeronautics Board (CAB). For many routes, those airfares were simply too high. As predicted by a simple supply-and-demand model, airlines were willing to offer more flights at these high prices than customers were willing to buy. Under normal market conditions, that would lead to falling prices. But since the airlines legally could not compete on price, they competed on quality instead. They offered better service, better food, and... wait for it... more attractive stewardesses.
    Deregulation bad? So this article is in favor of having prices dictated by the Civil Aeronautics Board? :noway:

Compare the obesity rates in the 60's to today and try and solve the mystery of where the attractive people went. People eating 4 square meals a day of processed, corn syrup laden **** might have something to do with it.

Top Bottom