• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    you might want to check the "steel" they are reinforced with.

I dont follow the US Palm mags much, but the one I bought at the last 1500 to try sure won't stick to a magnet. Ive got a really powerful little magnet I use to check poly mags for steel reinforcment, and it won't stick anywhere. It *could* be a 300 series stainless, but to me it looks a lot more like aluminum ;)

MattCFII

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Danville
    WOW, what a necropost. I must have asked that question for my cousin a year and a half ago.

I bought two to try them out. Then I ordered 8 more.. these mags rock.. They work best with 46 rounds as the last few are very tight. Never had a jam or misfeed.

CDDNSports has them for $9.99 each.. get them while you can.
    Yep, tricked by the first poster... :dunno: My bad for letting the necro go on...

you might want to check the "steel" they are reinforced with.

I dont follow the US Palm mags much, but the one I bought at the last 1500 to try sure won't stick to a magnet. Ive got a really powerful little magnet I use to check poly mags for steel reinforcment, and it won't stick anywhere. It *could* be a 300 series stainless, but to me it looks a lot more like aluminum ;)
    Well since we're here.

The attraction is very weak, you have to be pretty gentle getting them on and off, but it is magnetic. I'm not sure exactly what that means metallurgically. I have first gen mags. I didn't do it in these pictures but I did push down the follower and confirm that it is attracted to the cage and not the spring. Here are my shots of a small neodymium magnet:
    20121117_202742.jpg

20121117_202646.jpg

20121117_203017.jpg

FWIW, older shots of the cage:

Front lug:
    100_2858.jpg

Cage seen through holes:
    100_2854.jpg

Approximate line of where the metal cage stops:
    100_2854-1-1.jpg

It's really hard to hold a camera and the follower down.
    100_2848.jpg

100_2828.jpg

One thing I like about the US Palms lug reinforcement cage is that it is full circumference.

Edit to add: Not trying to get in a pissing contest with you Clay, you know your stuff and I respect you a lot! You still have a very valid point about metal mags and I do think they should be the foundation of any Ak owner's mag collection (hehe my ratio of metal to polymer mags in 7.62x39 is well over 2:1, probably more like 3:1). You just got a fanboy to fanboi. :ingo:

The ironic thing is that right now in my go bag my US Palm Attack Rack has Bulgy ((10)) mags...

Last edited:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    well, that looks good to me! I dont know why my magnet wouldn't stick, its also a neodymium magnet but about 4 times that big. I've used it many times to check other mags, and it will stick to bulgy and russian mags.

No worries though! That answers it enough for me. Thank you for the info and pics!! I plan to do testing on the one I have to see if I like it enough or not. If I found them for $20 I would pick some up. Thats about the right price point for them really. Right in the middle between a steel mag and a bulgy ((10)).

MattCFII

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Danville
    well, that looks good to me! I dont know why my magnet wouldn't stick, its also a neodymium magnet but about 4 times that big. I've used it many times to check other mags, and it will stick to bulgy and russian mags.

No worries though! That answers it enough for me. Thank you for the info and pics!! I plan to do testing on the one I have to see if I like it enough or not. If I found them for $20 I would pick some up. Thats about the right price point for them really. Right in the middle between a steel mag and a bulgy ((10)).
    It might have been the weight of the magnet itself being that big. The attraction is so weak, I think if the magnet weighed any more it would probably fall off unless if there was more contact area (unless my magnet science recollection is faulty and that doesn't make a difference, off to Wikipedia after this post). I have to place it directly on and I barely feel the pull. All it takes is a good shake and the magnet falls off, even on a exposed lug. Not what I would normally expect with NIB magnet and steel. Any speculation on what that means for the metallurgy of the cage? 300 series stainless?

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    WOW, what a necropost. I must have asked that question for my cousin a year and a half ago.

I'm interested in what he decided to go with after providing all this great info...Hint: if you say "he bought a ton of promags for the price of the ((10))'s or UsPalms", I will kick you in the nuts.

The attraction is very weak, you have to be pretty gentle getting them on and off, but it is magnetic. I'm not sure exactly what that means metallurgically.

I think what that translates to metallurgically is...suck it Clay :D

muaahahahhahahaha

I like my ((10))'s better than the UsPalms but just a little bit.

Palm likes:
    weight
    texture
    strength
    modern look (for when i want that)
    922r

Palm dislikes:
    Doesn't have a classic look (for when i want that)
    The floor plate issue
    The in ability to repair it if needed (though i've never needed to)

Unlike you cats i do NOT like metal mags at all. If that's all you have and you take an AK class, be sure to get a tetanus shot beforehand. How there aren't a bunch of russians with lock-jaw i'll never know. I prefer the smooth silky touch of some ((10)) mags! After a fun day of fumbling through drills it doesn't look like you fisted a blender on puree.

Last edited:

MattCFII

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Danville
    You must spread some rep around before giving to Vitamink again... story of my life on INGO. Just today I was thinking "Vitamink has been a little off his game lately," Homerun sir! (And I mean sir in the least respectful sense).

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    He sold the AK to SNORKO :D

Even worse! Now i feel sick. Whats the inseam on the pants you're wearing? I need to see if i should stretch before i come over.

You must spread some rep around before giving to Vitamink again... story of my life on INGO. Just today I was thinking "Vitamink has been a little off his game lately," Homerun sir! (And I mean sir in the least respectful sense).

I've been super busy and tired so my game is lacking. I know what you mean about giving me rep. I've been pestering the mods to allow me to rep myself for the last few months and i'm not getting anywhere with them. I'm glad you allowed me to hit a homerun, i usually only get to third base with you.

BTW can we bring this thread up again next year? I want to be reminded that for once Clay was wrong and it was awesome. Mark your calendars.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Even worse! Now i feel sick. Whats the inseam on the pants you're wearing? I need to see if i should stretch before i come over.

I've been super busy and tired so my game is lacking. I know what you mean about giving me rep. I've been pestering the mods to allow me to rep myself for the last few months and i'm not getting anywhere with them. I'm glad you allowed me to hit a homerun, i usually only get to third base with you.

BTW can we bring this thread up again next year? I want to be reminded that for once Clay was wrong and it was awesome. Mark your calendars.

Why do you need to know the inseam of my pants? Why are you coming over?

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    It might have been the weight of the magnet itself being that big. The attraction is so weak, I think if the magnet weighed any more it would probably fall off unless if there was more contact area (unless my magnet science recollection is faulty and that doesn't make a difference, off to Wikipedia after this post). I have to place it directly on and I barely feel the pull. All it takes is a good shake and the magnet falls off, even on a exposed lug. Not what I would normally expect with NIB magnet and steel. Any speculation on what that means for the metallurgy of the cage? 300 series stainless?

Really no idea, just theories. but more metal would give the magnet more material to react to the magnet field, or a smaller magnet (like you said, less weight)........ or there is always vitamink's theory...... suck it ;)

The main thing I see is they use a really thin piece of metal to 'wrap' the front and rear lugs, where the russian and bulgy poly/bakelite mags use all metel lugs.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Unlike you cats i do NOT like metal mags at all. If that's all you have and you take an AK class, be sure to get a tetanus shot beforehand. How there aren't a bunch of russians with lock-jaw i'll never know. I prefer the smooth silky touch of some ((10)) mags! After a fun day of fumbling through drills it doesn't look like you fisted a blender on puree.

you dont have any chinese flat back mags do you? aim had them a while back, called the 'european mags', but they were really chinese. They have no spine, very comfortable.

that said, I train with an ak-74, so they are all poly ;)

Top Bottom