• Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Jam? Are we making a sandwich? ;)

Yes, AKs do malfunction. Sometimes spectacularly.

aaron_triple_1.jpg

Hey...I could do that with three rounds and a mallet! No jam...but look...Fig Newton's!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    In the midst of a firefight, I doubt anyone would hear a "click". More likely, superimposed memory from a movie. Similar to psychiatrist "finding" repressed memories, then finding out it didn't happen. Or like when you a read a sentence on a meme showing James Earl Jones, you hear it in his voice.

A device can be more reliable, and still have a failure.

Just because someone's a "terrorist" doesn't mean he's a weapons expert. Anymore than being an American gun owner makes you an expert.

Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Other than the five killed and eight wounded, yeah, didn't hit.

Here is a quote from the article:

"Miraculously, none of the diners or staff inside the restaurant died during the attack, which lasted less than a minute, before the gunman is seen climbing into the terrorists' black Seat getaway car."

Granted, he did hit some people outside the cafe. Sad situation.

Last edited:

Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    And once again, I am a fan of the AK, but just found it odd he either had a jam or ran out of bullets and the lack of hold open caused a moment of confusion at the exact most inopportune time for him as an attacker.

Tims87gn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 8, 2013
    Floyds Knobs
    AKs do fail... Marine Nam vet told me a tale years ago about a VC that got the drop on him from behind in the jungle. He heard a noise behind him and he spun around to see this stunned VC frantically trying to clear a jam. This marine dropped him with his 45 and lived to tell the tale. He said he was the luckiest man in country that day!

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    AKs do fail... Marine Nam vet told me a tale years ago about a VC that got the drop on him from behind in the jungle. He heard a noise behind him and he spun around to see this stunned VC frantically trying to clear a jam. This marine dropped him with his 45 and lived to tell the tale. He said he was the luckiest man in country that day!

I hope he repaid the debt for being spared. :faint:

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I dont trust any media. With this story, I would say it probably wasnt an AK.... or was a (as previously and smartly said) a Century build. Probably a Century built Obama gun sent over seas..... :tinfoil:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    What I get out of this...

1. While the AK does NOT run on black magic and therefore can well fail under circumstances conducive to doing so, one of its most endearing qualities is the lack of tight tolerances which unlike (especially the early) M16s, do not require being kept clean enough to appease a hospital administrator or board of health inspector in order to function without issue.

2. It sounds like the most likely explanation is a dumbass behind the trigger problem.

3. Possession of a gun, any gun, doesn't render you effectively armed any more than possession of an instrument makes you a musician.

TLHelmer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Evansville area
    What I get out of this...

1. While the AK does NOT run on black magic and therefore can well fail under circumstances conducive to doing so, one of its most endearing qualities is the lack of tight tolerances which unlike (especially the early) M16s, do not require being kept clean enough to appease a hospital administrator or board of health inspector in order to function without issue.

2. It sounds like the most likely explanation is a dumbass behind the trigger problem.

3. Possession of a gun, any gun, doesn't render you effectively armed any more than possession of an instrument makes you a musician.

I like that! Great summary!

Joseph

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    cambridge city
    I have seen jams in every type of semi auto firearm. it just happens, Even with glocks. That's why you should train for those types of malfunctions. I am a ak guy btw love the rifle type although I have not had any malfunctions with my sam7r I did w my wasr10. Not had one out of my le6920 but have in my m&p15. It just happens sometimes.

Top Bottom