• ...and so much more!
  • Yeti

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    New Haven
    Here is a AK noob question.

I am looking to build a AK74 underfolder. Looking at my AK47, I noticed the trigger group could be interesting to put together nothing like an AR. I got a few questions.

I have been told that a 74 underfolder is a custom build. Is there any place that makes the underfolders?

How hard is it to build it?
    What are the tools i need to put it together?

Also, has anyone done any business with Elk River Tool and Die? I am thinking about getting the receiver from them.
    Home

Thanks

MattCFII

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Danville
    I'm not a builder, just an AK fan. I've never had the tools to do a build and now the days of cheap parts kits with barrels are over. I'm sure the builders will have some more detail advice.

Yes, building an AK is nothing like an AR. ARs are basically plug and play the parts. Even with a completed receiver you are going to have to at least rivet in the barrel and the trigger guard/mag catch. If you go away from the underfolder you will have to rivet the rear trunnion as well. If you get an U.S. barrel, you'll have to press on the front sight block and gas block as well. So there is actually fabrication will require some heavier duty tools. At that point since you are going to do some serious riveting, a lot of guys go with receiver flats and just bend their own (which means no FFL is needed for the transfer). But going with an Elk River or an Nodak complete receiver means that you don't have to heat treat a bent receiver, which is if I ever build one part the reason I'll go for a probably completed receiver build the first time, plus you need a little less tooling then, such as jigs. Building from flats tends to make more sense in the long run though if you are going to build multiple AKs or you have a buddy that has the tooling. Also remember even though this is somewhat daunting, there are people in Pakistan that build theirs out of huts without electricity or running water.

Since underfolders are rare in 74s you would need a 74 parts kit and then maybe even another kit with an underfolder if you can't source the stock. Plus you might run into front trunnion issues since the underfolders are normally setup to take 47/AKM barrels (but that is an uneducated guess since I'm not a builder). IMO there are better folder options, the underfolders are most uncomfortable of AK stocks and get in the way more when folded. The actual trigger group is pretty easy to put in once you are done and I would bet about the same if not easier than an AR.

This is a decent site to see the overall process (again I'm sure some builders can point out some better ones):
    How to Build an AK-47

Same site but compares a complete receiver build vs. a bend your own:
    Building your own AK47 from two similar points of view

If this looks like too much but you still want a good DIY project, go for a Saiga conversion (but switching it out to a underfolder will be more difficult since the rear receiver and trunnion are different). Another basic starting site on Saiga conversions:
    Saiga Conversion

Here's a quick search of underfolders as seperate parts:
    AK Underfolder Stock (cheapest but out of stock)
    K-Var has nearly everything AK but at a price:
    K-VAR Corporation :: Stock Sets :: AK-159
    K-VAR Corporation :: Stock Sets :: AK-400UP
    Centerfire

Last edited:
    Top Bottom