• ...and so much more!
  • A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    Hello INGO, I could use some help.

I recently bought a surplus Bulgarian stock set off of another INGO member, and this past weekend, I tried to install it all. Well, everything went great, until I got to the wood piece on the gas tube. Long story short, I could really use some help. I have it turned almost half way, but it won't budge an inch more for me. I do not have the proper tools to fasten or secure the tube in order to get some extra torque.

Would anyone around the Muncie area be willing to assist me with getting this wood piece on my gas tube? Any help would be appreciated

meyer4589

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Highland, IN
    Put the gas tube that would be closest to the rear sight in a bench vise and twist the upper handguard off. The vise will give you all the leverage you need. Be sure to pad the vise so you don't mess up the gas tube. There are also a bunch of YouTube videos on this method

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    All you should need is a way to hold the rear of the tube tighter than you can with your hands. If you can get access to a vise, use some padded jaws (pieces of wood will suffice, I prefer brass for this job), and clamp the rear of the gas tube in the vise (dont crush it). You should be able to turn the handguard the rest of the way with your hands.

ottoclicker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2011
    Try this if you do not have a vice. Firmly hold the hand guard in one hand use the cleaning rod to turn the gas tube 180°. It fits very nicely into the groove in the rear of the gas tube and provides plenty of leverage.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    This is where the problem arises. I saw the vice method, however neither my home nor my house up at school have one. I'm hoping someone in my area might
    Got an adjustable wrench? Torque the tube one way (with the jaws on the flat part of the tube that locks into the trunion) and twist the opposite way with your other hand while gripping the wood. Done It many times like this without having to a vise.

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    Crescent wrench is what I use on mine. The wood can spit, though, so be mindful that you're not squeezing the middle so much that you crack it.

If you're not able to do it with a crescent, you should probably file down the high spots slightly.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    a little lubrication helps alot if your installing it on the gas tube..... I would recommend paste wax, beewax, or even candle wax . keep it thin enough though (if you use candle wax you can use a hairdryer to keep it melted) however even used dry its alot better than no lubrication at all........ Us wood workers use this to keep screws from splitting the wood

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Wow...so...ummm..Id rather not admit how easy it was to do using some electrical tape and an adjustable wrench. :n00b:

Thanks everyone for the help
    Hey brother nothing to be embarrassed about. I still learn basic smithing tricks from fellow smiths all the time. We don't cease learning till we die. No one has done everything and if they say they have I call BS. We help each other. I love INGO!

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    Hey brother nothing to be embarrassed about. I still learn basic smithing tricks from fellow smiths all the time. We don't cease learning till we die. No one has done everything and if they say they have I call BS. We help each other. I love INGO!
    Thanks to everyone's help, my WASR no longer looks like...well...you know.

I'll have to post some pics when I get home. She...well... :thatshot: that's all I have to say about it.

Top Bottom