• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    oh btw the i found these guys making amd65 extensions decided to buy one of theirs a bit more costly over the tapco but far closer looking to the original i bought the 3 port model ..... just didnt like that taper on the tapco

Products

Joedirt82

Plinker
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Westfield
    A tip on building an Egyptian side folder; measure the trunnion barrel hole with a caliper. Many of the Egyptians being imported have an oversized barrel hole. If it's even a hair over 23mm, you won't be able to get a proper press fit on the barrel. There are fixes, but if you're shopping for a barrel, see if you can get a proper fit first.[/QUO

The barrel hole is exactly 23.07mm. Do you have any suggestions for my next move on purchasing a barrel? is this one of the oversized holes you mentioned?

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    A tip on building an Egyptian side folder; measure the trunnion barrel hole with a caliper. Many of the Egyptians being imported have an oversized barrel hole. If it's even a hair over 23mm, you won't be able to get a proper press fit on the barrel. There are fixes, but if you're shopping for a barrel, see if you can get a proper fit first.[/QUO

The barrel hole is exactly 23.07mm. Do you have any suggestions for my next move on purchasing a barrel? is this one of the oversized holes you mentioned?

It's hit or miss with barrels. Wabbit apparently got lucky. My barrel is 23.05 and my trunnion hole happens to be 23.05 as well. Since it's so close, I chose to dimple up the barrel with a spring loaded center punch and it worked just fine. Another thing you need to look for in your kit is the pin for the rear sight block. Many of the crutch folder kits are missing them. One of mine came with the pin hole mangled on one side. I welded the hole in a bit, ground it flush and ran the drill bit through when drilling the pin slot in the barrel. Be sure to inspect your kit before the build party for any missing pieces. Also check fitment of parts. In one of my kit's the bolt didn't mate up properly with the trunnion. If you find out there are issues at least you know what you will need to address and maybe get help with at the build party.

tactical1224

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    LaPorte, IN
    I can bring trigger guard rivet jig, gas port rivet jig and drill, trunnion holder jig for barrel pressing, and adapter for press to push in/out barrel pin.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    March 3, 2013 AK Build Party - MCFG

How did you make that work? did you sand down your barrel or something in order to make it fit?

I didn't do anything. I just measured the inside diameter of the front trunnion barrel hole and measured the outside diameter of my barrel chamber. The barrel should be just slightly larger so the fit is tight when installed. That's why you need a hydraulic press to install and remove the barrel (or threading method - BFH is a bad idea).

Joedirt82

Plinker
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Westfield
    March 3, 2013 AK Build Party - MCFG

I didn't do anything. I just measured the inside diameter of the front trunnion barrel hole and measured the outside diameter of my barrel chamber. The barrel should be just slightly larger so the fit is tight when installed. That's why you need a hydraulic press to install and remove the barrel (or threading method - BFH is a bad idea).

Gotcha. Yah I am currently trying to find a barrel but so far, every website I know of is sold out of any chrome lined barrel. I would rather not put a non chrome lined barrel in any ak. But once I find one, I believe I should be set for the party. Does anyone have a blown up picture of all small parts that should come in kits. I just want to make sure I have absolutely everything I need

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    Does anyone have a blown up picture of all small parts that should come in kits. I just want to make sure I have absolutely everything I need

I'll take a picture and describe all the parts you need after work (since I have them on my bench right now). Some kits come with everything (including FA parts) and some don't. Everything should be bagged up together.

Joedirt82

Plinker
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Westfield
    Sounds great, Thanks! I have been cleaning and going over and checking both kits so far and one barrel hole is 23.04mm and the other is 22.88mm. Is this pretty common to be this far off on barrel hole dimensions?

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    These are the parts you will need. I am assuming you have a new Tapco fire control group as 3 of your U.S. made parts for 922r. Although I show the Shepard's crook, you could also use the Red Star retaining plate. If you have a new barrel, you will usually have to cut the notches in for all the barrel pins. And the screws are for those that have a fixed stock. The Maadi crutch folder is attached directly to the rear trunnion.

ak_little_parts.jpg

arthrimus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Carmel
    I just wanted to let you guys know that my toth tools AK riveting jaws shipped today, so I will definitely have them at the party.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    Here are some websites about the process of building AKs. Some of this information is older but most of it is still relevant and useful.

I would highly suggest grabbing the PDF files to keep. You can load them on a tablet to use during your builds, even if you do not have a internet connection. This builder does some things in a different order that I do but in the end, the AK works.

Collecting and Shooting the Military Surplus Rifle (2005) - Surplusrifle.com

I really like the pictures on this site. I jump from section to section by changing amdbuild1 to amdbuild2...up to amdbuild7. Some of my tools are different but our general concepts are similar.

Build an AMD-65

Fawkes

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    Have bottlenecks in the process been identified? I have a press I could bring but seems that jigs might be in short supply or experienced builders to advise?

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    if you just ordered parts from css, they should arrive yesterday. (they ship faster than anyone ever)

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    Have bottlenecks in the process been identified? I have a press I could bring but seems that jigs might be in short supply or experienced builders to advise?

We need as many presses as we can get (drill and hydraulic). I think time on the drill press will be the biggest factor. That is why I'm asking anyone who has a kit to demil your kit before the party. We can't spend hours cleaning out your rear trunnion. It also eats up drill bits. It's not hard to drill out rivets just time consuming. Just look it up on YouTube and do the hard work beforehand.

We will have to drill any virgin barrels and that will take time. I'm doing a virgin barrel on my next AK74 now.

One hydraulic press will need to be used exclusively for bending flats until all of them are done. The bender belongs to IndyDave1776 so he can probably do them the fastest and cleanest. As they are finished, they need to be welded in an assembly line. As that happens, the kits should be built. All the handguards first, then the front trunnion, then the rear. It won't take long once that starts. Just count how many pulls it takes to get a good flat rivet (4.5 - 5 on mine) and repeat.

Just my thoughts.

Top Bottom