• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    Still on the hunt for a kit or parts. Scouring the net every chance I get. May get desparate and have to gun broker it. Hope not but definitely working it hard!! Pointers and hints very greatly appreciated if anyone has a lead! Thanks in advance!!!!:D

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    I'm a maybe. I might have to go to Arizona, but if not, I can bring a hydraulic press, drill press, rivet jigs, headspace gauges, and bits and reamers.

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Has anybody considered doing a "Group buy" with Circle City heat treating? Spot treating is OK, but I would like to have my whole receiver heat treated. I have a pre-bent and a few flats...

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    I don't think so, but I am willing to sit there the whole time and watch them. From what I understand of the law, If the owner is present during the work, no violation of law.

HiRoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Indianapolis East
    I have been looking at kiln's but it's a slow process.

I don't see how you can effectivly go forward with the rivet process until you get it done. Assembled, I would be concerned about distorting the trunions ?

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I don't think so, but I am willing to sit there the whole time and watch them. From what I understand of the law, If the owner is present during the work, no violation of law.

yeah I dont think I want to wait that long. It would be an all day process at a minimum.

Sausagecake

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Wherever I can eat S
    Put me down as a defiantly coming. I can disassemble my press and throw it in my trunk. Its still scheduled for the third of march correct? I can also throw my drill press in the car.

I also have a question. When crushing a long rivet for the first time, I let the workpiece pivot downward. I should have stopped at the first sign it was tilting downward, but I didn't. Lesson learned, and I adjusted so I didn't have this problem on the second. My question is, does the first rivet in the picture below look usable? This is not the factory formed head side, which is in much better shape. Also the dimple is completely filled. Considering this is my first build, I am not to concerned with aesthetics. I just want it to be safe and function.

NewImage_zps48630811.jpg

Last edited:

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    Put me down as a defiantly coming. I can disassemble my press and throw it in my trunk. Its still scheduled for the third of march correct? I can also throw my drill press in the car.

I also have a question. When crushing a long rivet for the first time

Sausage, please bring what you can. If we don't need it, that will be great but I have a feeling we are going to need all the equipment we can get.

Does your rivet look perfect? No. Usable. Sure. The rear trunnion is not going anywhere.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    Okay, updates to the AK Build Party list. Please let me know if you are not on the list or in the wrong spot. I'm trying to only put people confirmed to come in the bringing tools list. No tools = no party so it is important we have them.

AK Buildy Party @ MCFG on March 3, 2013 - MARCH MARCH MARCH for IndyDave1776

And remember, support DIVERSITY training.

AK_diversity.jpg

Last edited:

Fawkes

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    Wabbitt put me on the list bringing hydraulic press and 3 kits ready to build, plus bringing another member to assist.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'm trying to only put people confirmed to come in the bringing tools list. No tools = no party so it is important we have them.
    Still coming, still bringing drill press. Is everyone bringing their own bits or at least some extras? I'm going to pick up a couple of cobalt tipped bits but it sounds like with all the drilling to be done, some extras will be needed.

Top Bottom