• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    I have a TWS on my Maadi. My red dot is mounted on mid riser so I can still use the irons - the ghost ring that TWS sells and the FSB. I have no problems with it.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    INGO

if you were to setup a currently bone stock AK for deer hunting, what side mount and optic would you use. Say in the $300 range for the total expense. (Already have the AK) playing with the idea of setting it up for this.

Pics/suggestions below.

Thank you

Is this for Indiana? If so do you have an AK in one of the 'approved' chamberings?

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Ok, first off, what kind of AK are you using (country of manufacture)?

Ulitmak: Cool mount, gets hotter than hell. Think of it as a barbecue grill that you are mounting an optic to, therefore you need a pretty durable optic. I've found they work great for something that is tougher than hell (such as an Aimpoint Micro), but not something I would want to mount a scope to. The nice thing about going with this setup though is you're optic is going to sit very low to the bore, which is a plus with an AK.

TWS: I personally wouldn't go this route. From my experience, it seems like a cool idea but mine didn't hold a zero worth a damn. You can get a similar system that will actually work well from Zenitco, but it's going to be outside of your given budget.

Side Rail: If your rifle has one, use it. RS Regulate is definitely king, but their are other options that are cheaper (since you mentioned a low budget) such as a Kalinka BP-02. The RS mount definitely has some huge advantages (mostly being the weight, ease of adjustment, and a very slim profile) but the BP-02 is going to sit low & centered to the bore (something rare with Ruskie optics), as well as return to zero.
    http://kalinkaoptics.com/rifle-type/bp-02-universal-to-weaver-mount-ultra-low-profile-centered.html
    Some other side mounts worthy of note would be Midwest Industries and KVAR.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co

Ulitmak: Cool mount, gets hotter than hell. Think of it as a barbecue grill that you are mounting an optic to, therefore you need a pretty durable optic. I've found they work great for something that is tougher than hell (such as an Aimpoint Micro), but not something I would want to mount a scope to. The nice thing about going with this setup though is you're optic is going to sit very low to the bore, which is a plus with an AK.
    The zenitco is one i over looked and i cant say enough postive stuff about this stuff its soild. Just wish i could afford it!

TWS: I personally wouldn't go this route. From my experience, it seems like a cool idea but mine didn't hold a zero worth a damn. You can get a similar system that will actually work well from Zenitco, but it's going to be outside of your given budget.

Side Rail: If your rifle has one, use it. RS Regulate is definitely king, but their are other options that are cheaper (since you mentioned a low budget) such as a Kalinka BP-02. The RS mount definitely has some huge advantages (mostly being the weight, ease of adjustment, and a very slim profile) but the BP-02 is going to sit low & centered to the bore (something rare with Ruskie optics), as well as return to zero.
    Kalinka BP-02 Universal Ultra Low Profile Centered Side Mount to Weaver Rail w/ Black Finish

Can't agree more with any dog leg or top cover set up (including the rear sight block mounts) just not solid enough mounts and most of them hinder the serviceable of the AK platform... I know the Krebs mount requires locking rear piece be attached to the rear trunnion... not my first choice but some swear by them.... but then again people claim they can get 1 moa out of a mosin and sks dust cover scopes as quality products all the time.

Tomahawkman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hamilton County

Kalinka BP-02 Universal Ultra Low Profile Centered Side Mount to Weaver Rail w/ Black Finish

its a Romanian wasr 10.

Im leaning towards the side mount heavily and am looking into things along that line currently. Everyone's posts are being extremely helpful in my search.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I bought an ultimak off an INGOer. I mounted a TRS 25 to it, and honestly I can shoot the dot size at 100yds (3 moa). With my 300blk pistol, I can get the same grouping. Don't know what round would be effective in 7.62x39 that is as effective as my Barnes Xtac 110gr though.

Top Bottom