• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside
    im trying to figure out what front sight/gas block combo to put on my AK74 build. I believe that im going to use a green mountain barrel, and thread it for a flash suppressor/silencer mount. My options so far i have found are a venom tactical (screw) or krinkov bulgarian (pin on). im leaning towards the pin on krinkov at this time. thoughts? personal experiences?

https://www.k-var.com/shop/AK-142B.html
    https://www.k-var.com/shop/KR-008B.html
    Venom Tactical AK47 / AK-74 Gas Block | Venom Tactical
    Arsenal Inc. Krinkov-Type Front Sight & Gas Block M24x1.5 RH Threads

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    well i see two fs/gs that are krinkov... one that is ak100, and the venom clamp on (not a fan of clamp on's myself)..... what type of kit is it? that really makes a different if you have a polish tantal or Romanian ak74 (there quite different than a normal ak74) .... but if its a Bulgarian/Russian wabbits correct

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    The Romanians are SAR-2 and AIMS-74. The Krinkov is the AKS-74U. I was just assuming he actually meant AK-74, so Bulgy or Russian.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    The Romanians are SAR-2 and AIMS-74. The Krinkov is the AKS-74U. I was just assuming he actually meant AK-74, so Bulgy or Russian.
    Shouldnt be a SAR kit they where only for US import much like the WASR but there was a few others in the 74 family md86, md89, and md93 i believe one of those might be 5.56 i cant remember... but like the tantal most of them have a different journal diameters than others in the 74 family

with the price of the tantal right now i was wondering if he was calling that a 74 or not

cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside
    Why is the kit missing the front sight block and gas block? You don't thread a 74's barrel. The muzzle threading 24x1.5mm is on the FSB.

Griffin Armament has an adapter - 24mm Suppressor mount thread adapters

It's a Siaga currently. I'm going to pin/weld on a surefire flash suppressor on it to make it a total of 16.1 inches. Problem some people have had with the adapters, and not something threaded directly to the barrel, is baffle strikes. It's not common, but when I get a can I don't want to risk damaging it. Just in general I like the look of the combined sight/gas block also. I'm taking it apart, so might as well do it how I want, or at least how I think I want for now. Ha

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    It's a Siaga currently. I'm going to pin/weld on a surefire flash suppressor on it to make it a total of 16.1 inches. Problem some people have had with the adapters, and not something threaded directly to the barrel, is baffle strikes. It's not common, but when I get a can I don't want to risk damaging it. Just in general I like the look of the combined sight/gas block also. I'm taking it apart, so might as well do it how I want, or at least how I think I want for now. Ha

a saiga barrel under 16in???? is it cut down or something?..... however by your choice of gasblock/frontsight combo's look like you are going for a compact rifle (CR) ak105 clone possibly? certanily would make a good candidate... i understand why you want to thread the barrel...but even that doesn't guarantee that it will be concentric to the bore or even straight for that matter...but even still a good quality gas/sight combo should be fine if properly installed ... however i believe your gonna have too much barrel with the gas block you choose if your going too thread too gasblock/sight....but some of the fake extended ak100/krinkov booster's on the market you could thread the barrel and hide it with a fake booster when not using your suppressor

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    If you want a supressor on an ak74, I would ONLY trust threads on the barrel, concentric to the bore. You have a couple ways to do this.

1) thread the first 1/2" of the barrel, then put a regular ak74 FSB on, but push it back about a 1/2" further to expose the threads. You will probably have to reduce the diameter of the barrel behind the FSB a bit so it can be pushed back, AND it will be good to face off the front of the FSB so it offers a square stop for the suppressor. All of this will fit under a standard AK74 muzzle brake.

2) The other option is the cut the threads off a standard AK74 FSB, and thread the barrel and push the FSB on in the normal place. People with the skills have made a muzzle nut to fit the barrel threads that is threads M24 on the OD so they can still use the standard AK74 muzzle brake.

those are my opinions. ;)

cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside
    So, no one really likes the idea of the AK101/krink fsb/gas block? I want a pin on. Not a bolt on. I've seen some rifles that look like they had 16 in barrels on them with these gas blocks, am I going to have issues with a 14.5ish barrel and this gas bloc?

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    ill have to measure the journal on a krinkov i believe its smaller (i have a aks74u and ak100 series block floating around ill check the journal sizes) without a doubt the 100 series CR type block will work with no changes to the barrel (im doing this to a 5.45 saiga myself)

But no i like the idea of a 100 series build its the best of both worlds!

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    Numbers are in (all measurements are of gas block journal or gasblock ID)
    CR-compact rifle ak100 gasblock/sight combo - .589 ID
    AK74 barrel (off bulgrian ak-74) - .593
    AKM (rommy G)- .593
    ak-102 (5.56x45 bulgarian/ak102) - .593
    AKS-74U Krinkov off (bluejack v4 barrel) - .555
    Yugo M92- .592

long story short the CR will work with zero mods with all 5.56,5.45,and 7.62 standard profiled euro barrels (this includes your saiga)

The Russian/Bulgarian krinkov combo has a smaller journal and will not work with out lathe work (the one you showed from K-var was a Bulgarian)

Surprising to me a Yugo m92/m85 krinkov combo will work... its only 1 thousand smaller (these are generally cheaper but the CR would be correct to your rifle) thread pitch is also diffrent

also worth noting is the extended (krinkov booster) barrel extension K-var sells has .599 opening which doesn't leave much room for a thread protector not that you would need one.... a standard slant break has a OD of .680 which could be easily thined down however

Top Bottom