• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RonPaulSupporter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    So I'm more of an AR guy, but recently I've been fascinated with getting an AK and wanted some input on what I should get and where from if possible. I'm looking for an underfolder (I know they suck as far as a stock goes) and saw some Yugo M70's that looked nice anything else like that in a $700 or less price range. I want to find an AK that won't begin to go into the AR type price range that's why I'm looking at something cheaper (plus I need something I can beat the hell out of and not care as much). :):
    Any help is appreciated!

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    (I know they suck as far as a stock goes)

LOL; you remembered shooter521's rule #2 of AKs. ;)

saw some Yugo M70's that looked nice anything else like that in a $700 or less price range.

For a 7.62x39 underfolder, the Yugo M70 is the best way to go. $700 is awfully high compared to what they sold for pre-election, but AFAIK Century isn't making anymore, so if you want one I guess you'll just have to suck up and pay the going rate. You won't be disappointed.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    For $700 and under, there are really only two to choose from, the Yugo M70 and the WASR-10. With prices at all time panic levels, the Yugo is the much better bet at $700 because the WASR-10 is the same price there days and nowhere near the quality of the Yugo.

RonPaulSupporter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    LOL; you remembered shooter521's rule #2 of AKs. ;)
    Out of curiosity what is rule #1?
    But anyway, underfolders do rate high on CDI factor! :ar15:

I found a Century one for $650 online, is that OK considering prices now and what is the quality like? I'm not expecting great precision, but I want a minute of man AK that goes bang every time.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    If you go underfolder for under $1000 right now, the Yugo is the only good one to pick. The romanian ones are aweful. JGsales has the Yugos now for under $700.

My yugo was built by CAI and is remarkably great. Even got my gun hating mother in law on it and she had a ball:

ak_pepi.jpg

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    I second the Yugo Idea!! GET IT WHILE YOU CAN! They are hard to find. I got my full stock yugo for CHEAP! last year..... now the price is nuts! and only getting higher.

I love mine but sadly its at the bottom of the lake. :)

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    AK's get hot quick and are sharp in weird places.

:)
    There is a very cheap and easy solution for the heat.Take off the lower hand guard(just punch the pin out)and cut a 99 cent aluminum piece of roofing flashing to fit.Heat problem solved.They sell these at all lowes,menards,home depot ect.. After 6 or so mags your hands will thank you.

Silverlie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Anderson
    Go with the yugo m70, I was a little concerned with the metal folding stock destroying my shoulder after firing too many rounds, but it turned out to be quite a bit more comfortable then I originally thought, not as good as a standard stock, but it didn't pinch or punch too much either. The accuracy surprised me also, mine was sighted in near perfect when I bought it, but given a few rounds down range and I definatly putting a lot of extra breathing holes in the lungs of a silhouette target at 100 yrds. the only downside i've really come across so far is that the hand guards do get very hot, i would look into replacing the hand guards with some reputable after market ones, k-var's supply seems to work, also can look into the reviews on what cheaperthandirt has to offer. I know utg makes a decent 4 rail hand guard for the m70

TheDude

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Southeast Kentuckiana.
    There is a very cheap and easy solution for the heat.Take off the lower hand guard(just punch the pin out)and cut a 99 cent aluminum piece of roofing flashing to fit.Heat problem solved.They sell these at all lowes,menards,home depot ect.. After 6 or so mags your hands will thank you.

This is why I love AKs, simplicity.
    Try a underfolder before you buy, you ll either love it or hate it. I wasnt real fond of them.:ar15:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I also would go with the Yugo (if I didnt already have my Arsenal SLR106FR! :D ).

I have fired a Yugo underfolder though, I hated it. The stock felt wobbly and cut me up like a enraged Emril Lagasse. Supposedly the Yugo's have the strongest underfolder (no wobble), maybe I shot a bad one. They do have non-underfolders out there, but I am unsure of the availability. I think someone could make a pretty penny by offering a revitalization of the original "night sights" service (I know there is a tritinum front post sight offered, but not very historical in appearance).

As far as heat shielding, my Arsenal comes with a stainless steel heat shield under both the handguards. I have gotten that rifle hot and didnt feel a thing. My Romanian, before I sold her, would get uncomfortably (read gloves) after 3 mags of firing (not my idea of a good thing when my standard load out ready to go is 4-7, with 7 in reserve). The idea of roof flashing is a GREAT idea! I think steel would work best, aluminum probably just as good.

Hellion_1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Putnam County
    This is why I love AKs, simplicity.
    Try a underfolder before you buy, you ll either love it or hate it. I wasnt real fond of them.:ar15:

I agree with dude. Try before you buy. My first AK was and under-folder. I hated it. I currently have two AK's. A Norinco and a Maadi, both with fixed stocks, but I am picking up my new toy tomorrow. Golani sporter. Hmm, can't wait.

Top Bottom