• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    I'm so far from an AK guy it's just not believable. I know virtually nothing about them. Yet.

I'd like to get one to test the waters but not knowing all the patterns and what's good vs not is holding me back.

What I am looking for out of it:

- must be russian pattern for specific furniture I want to use

- 16" barrel

- 7.62x39 or 5.56

- folding stock

I'm not looking for the "best" version of the above. I'm actually looking to find the most budget version that's still reliable of those traits. I'll buy a nicer one later if I like it.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Nugget

Milsurp Enjoyer
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 30, 2022
    Morgan County
    Why shoot junk when there are much better platforms & guns out there?
    A man of taste and sophistication, I see. I'm assuming you only drive BMWs, only eat filet mignon, only smoke Cubans, and only make love to blonde supermodels, correct? I mean, why do something new, or cheap, or enjoyable, when there are better things you could be doing instead.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    A man of taste and sophistication, I see. I'm assuming you only drive BMWs, only eat filet mignon, only smoke Cubans, and only make love to blonde supermodels, correct? I mean, why do something new, or cheap, or enjoyable, when there are better things you could be doing instead.
    My wife drives a BMW, I prefer rib steaks, don't smoke, and like redheads......now for a rifle, why buy something the has poor sights, lousy trigger, known for not being accurate, when for the same cost an entry level rifle will fit the bill much better?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    My wife drives a BMW, I prefer rib steaks, don't smoke, and like redheads......now for a rifle, why buy something the has poor sights, lousy trigger, known for not being accurate, when for the same cost an entry level rifle will fit the bill much better?
    Because it wouldn't be an AK, and he wants an AK? :dunno: You may be surprised to find that other people have different tastes than you do.

For example, if someone was asking advice on pickup trucks, it really wouldn't make sense to give them a recommendation for Mazda Miata.

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    I'm with you on everything buddy,
    I just want an AK to get familiar and proficient with the system

Just because I don't want to use one as my main rifle or want to replace any of my other rifle variants with it that doesn't mean I don't feel the need to learn the rifle.

There's a quote from Clint Smith of Thunder Ranch that relates to this very topic and I completely forget it but he told his students that weren't a fan of the AK brought in by someone that "just because you don't have one now or like the AK - that doesn't mean you won't have to fight with one"

I'd like to think I have enough reliable rifles and things spread out enough that I'll never not have a rifle but we cannot account for every possible scenario.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    Welcome, OP, to the Fudd-free side. It's quite nice over here. Your question has actually been answered quite a few times and a lot of that info remains relevant today, albeit with some price increases. You can click on my username and read through my posts - about half of them are recommending AK models to new fans of these guns. I'd look at new or nice secondhand Romanian WASRs, Polish WBPs in 7.62 or 5.56, Serbian M70s/M90s, and any gen 3 or newer American PSAKs. In that order.

As I say all the time, war factory imports > American made when it comes to the AK. But for low volume, introductory shooting a newer-gen Palmetto AK will like likely scratch your itch. Note that new WASRs typically come with wish.com-level plastic furniture, but any AKM-pattern surplus wood furniture will fit. Zastava guns follow the Yugoslavian pattern and require Yugo/Serbia-specific furniture if you want to replace anything. Same goes for the side optic rail - you'll need a Yugo side mount to run an optic on that rail (RS Regulate and Midwest Industries both make Yugo mounts).

If it's your first AK, don't forget the mags and ammo. I like 7.62 guns more but if you're flush with 5.56 ammo, these AK-74s are surging in popularity and accessories. Just remember that a gun is a club without mags and ammo. I'd not worry to much about accuracy right now, and rather focus on the manual of arms and plenty of practice. And despite what any INGO AK hater says - and there are a lot of them (funny how they seem to love scurrying into the AK threads anyway :rolleyes:), it's quite easy with practice to score hits out to 300+ yards with iron sights and run of the mill ammo.

Good luck. Ask questions. Feel free to PM me if you need help. And happy shooting once you get there. Slava Kalashnikova!

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I'd look at new or nice secondhand Romanian WASRs, Polish WBPs in 7.62 or 5.56, Serbian M70s/M90s, and any gen 3 or newer American PSAKs. In that order.
    Did you lay out this pecking order with current prices in mind or just straight up quality? I would put the WBP and Zastava a notch above the WASR. Not that the WASR is crap by any means. They're just a little rougher around the edges

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    Welcome, OP, to the Fudd-free side. It's quite nice over here. Your question has actually been answered quite a few times and a lot of that info remains relevant today, albeit with some price increases. You can click on my username and read through my posts - about half of them are recommending AK models to new fans of these guns. I'd look at new or nice secondhand Romanian WASRs, Polish WBPs in 7.62 or 5.56, Serbian M70s/M90s, and any gen 3 or newer American PSAKs. In that order.

As I say all the time, war factory imports > American made when it comes to the AK. But for low volume, introductory shooting a newer-gen Palmetto AK will like likely scratch your itch. Note that new WASRs typically come with wish.com-level plastic furniture, but any AKM-pattern surplus wood furniture will fit. Zastava guns follow the Yugoslavian pattern and require Yugo/Serbia-specific furniture if you want to replace anything. Same goes for the side optic rail - you'll need a Yugo side mount to run an optic on that rail (RS Regulate and Midwest Industries both make Yugo mounts).

If it's your first AK, don't forget the mags and ammo. I like 7.62 guns more but if you're flush with 5.56 ammo, these AK-74s are surging in popularity and accessories. Just remember that a gun is a club without mags and ammo. I'd not worry to much about accuracy right now, and rather focus on the manual of arms and plenty of practice. And despite what any INGO AK hater says - and there are a lot of them (funny how they seem to love scurrying into the AK threads anyway :rolleyes:), it's quite easy with practice to score hits out to 300+ yards with iron sights and run of the mill ammo.

Good luck. Ask questions. Feel free to PM me if you need help. And happy shooting once you get there. Slava Kalashnikova!

Romanian, polish, and Serbian AKs are based on Russian pattern? I thought the polish and serb were both different?

I'm just looking for a Russian pattern AK with a 16" barrel, folding stock and is reliable. I don't need or want the best. Just the cheapest I can go while still being reliable and the ability to throw on some nice furniture should I actually like the thing.

If I wanted to actually spend decent money on one I'd be going for a Saiga in 308 but I'm not committed to that idea yet.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Romanian, polish, and Serbian AKs are based on Russian pattern? I thought the polish and serb were both different?

I'm just looking for a Russian pattern AK with a 16" barrel, folding stock and is reliable. I don't need or want the best. Just the cheapest I can go while still being reliable and the ability to throw on some nice furniture should I actually like the thing.

If I wanted to actually spend decent money on one I'd be going for a Saiga in 308 but I'm not committed to that idea yet.
    Romanian and Polish are AKM pattern yes

knutty

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 5, 2016
    Noblesville
    Did you lay out this pecking order with current prices in mind or just straight up quality? I would put the WBP and Zastava a notch above the WASR. Not that the WASR is crap by any means. They're just a little rougher around the edges

I wouldn't recommend a WASR unless you know what to look for before buying. Between the lack of Romanian QC and then the Century conversion process, they can have issues.

But if you get a good one, they will run forever.

If I was buying my first AK, I'd probably go WBP Jack. OP mentioned he has a set of AKM furniture he wants to use, Atlantic or AOA sells a stock less DIY version I believe.

Last edited:

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham

Prices, availability, and overall quality all in mind. I'm definitely partial to Romanian AKs, but most of the "modern" WASRs are totally acceptable shooters, outside of the throwaway balsa wood or recycled plastic furniture they usually come with. They still tend to attract a less than ideal rap due to far older QC issues from the past, and some crazy wear on certain 10/63 parts from many years ago. But the WASRs from the last few years are a lot better in my opinion.

Just throwing out some options for OP. Polish and Serbian are also solid choices.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Prices, availability, and overall quality all in mind. I'm definitely partial to Romanian AKs, but most of the "modern" WASRs are totally acceptable shooters, outside of the throwaway balsa wood or recycled plastic furniture they usually come with. They still tend to attract a less than ideal rap due to far older QC issues from the past, and some crazy wear on certain 10/63 parts from many years ago. But the WASRs from the last few years are a lot better in my opinion.

Just throwing out some options for OP. Polish and Serbian are also solid choices.
    I agree on everything you said there. I have a WASR from 2021 manufacture that I traded into from an individual. It's a solid rifle. Sights are just a frog hair off. I took everything off of it I could without having to press the small parts off the barrel and painted it with Krylon flat black then baked it on. Then added Romanian surplus furniture with the cheese grater upper and a 74 style brake. Added an ALG enhanced trigger after this pic was taken. 20230521_173639.jpg

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Best bet is to buy something that you can get most of your money back if you decide the platform is just not for you. Used straight WASRs in the $650-700 range. I don't see used Jack's hardly ever. I see used M70s pop up for around $850-900 but they're not an AKM pattern but a good AK nonetheless

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

You need to start a thread with all your information in the first post and sticky it with a catchy title. So when people ask which AK isn't junk we can just point them to your sticky thread.

After having my 1952 milled Russian Parts kit gun put together by my gunsmith I haven't found one I liked since. The barrel and chamber was chrome plated and was in excellent condition.
    I was stupid for getting rid of it. It was a milled receiver that was cut up atf spec, but my Smith fixed it up really good.
    I sold it when firearms went through the roof. Got a real good price for it. I should have kept it.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom