• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaCoach

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Greenwood
    Hey guys, I am currently in the market for a new AK. Let me start by saying that I know very little, ok nothing, about AK's. I am reaching out for suggestions about what manufacturer and model I should look for. I really want to find a rifle that is accurate, has a good trigger, and can be easily upgraded (rails, optics, ect.). As for budget, I would like to stay around $1000 give or take. Finally, are there any local shops that carry a nice selection of AK's (I live in Greenwood)? Thank you for your help, Tim.

Sajer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    Well for that price there is Arsenal which has an excellent product and from what I have seen decent accuracy. I have had a bunch of different AK's and I have never been the most accurate with them, but some folks have had better luck.

Arsenal offers a bunch of different models, im sure you could find one in both 7.62x39 and 5.45. I honestly prefer the 5.45, but have a few in 7.62 also.

Another option might be to look for a used Polytech, Norinco, or Hungarian that you rod out if need be. I find my Chinese rifles have the best stock triggers of any of my AK's. The one positive for the Arsenal would be the addtion of the scope rail, which is nice to have for any optics.

good luck

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Personally with that budget I would be looking at SGLs or SLRs. K-var or Atlantic would be the two online stores to look at and near Indy I would check with Bradis. Bradis sometimes has an SGL in stock.

unfortunately unless its a WASR, most shops dont carry the higher end AKs, which leaves online ordering and delivery to an FFL as your only option.

DaCoach

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Greenwood
    I found an Arsenal SGL 31-61 for $750 online. Is that a good rifle at a decent price? Also, how does the 5.45x39 cartridge compare to the 7.62x39 cartridge? Should I search for a 7.62x39 model?

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    $750 is probably about the going rate.

5.45x39 is basically the commie version of 5.56x45.

Ammo is cheaper, at about $150 per 1080 rounds for corrosive surplus. Mags aren't cheap anymore and run about $25 each.

7.62 vs 5.45 is really a personal preference thing. You need to shoot each one to figure out what you like better and weigh the cost factors as well.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I really want to find a rifle that is accurate,

Before you look any further, you need to define for yourself what you will accept as accurate. I kept hearing about how accurate and amazing the arsenal AK's are but when I bought one and took it to the range I wan't impressed with its accuracy. The rifle was outstanding in a lot of ways, but people either want accuracy or reliability and for myself I wasn't happy enough with the accuracy.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Before you look any further, you need to define for yourself what you will accept as accurate. I kept hearing about how accurate and amazing the arsenal AK's are but when I bought one and took it to the range I wan't impressed with its accuracy. The rifle was outstanding in a lot of ways, but people either want accuracy or reliability and for myself I wasn't happy enough with the accuracy.

I've been very happy with the accuracy out of my SGL 31 Arsenal. Heres a picture of the test group with Golden Bear
    IMAG0458.jpg

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Century Arms AKs can go from 500 to 700 depending on what you want. I was a Westforth recently and they had one with a side folding stock, a rail in the front.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    You may want to look into the CZ vz.58, you can get it in either 7.62x39 or 5.56.

Czechpoint - distributor of Sa vz. 58 rifles and Sa vz. 61 Scorpions

there are several advantages over the AK with the vz.58, weight, & milled receiver being two of them.

Don't get me wrong. I really like the CZ rifles, but there is a lot of advantages with going with the AK. Magazines, surplus parts, optic mounting, and accessories to name a few. I would suggest buying an AK as your entry into commie assault rifles, and then expanding into variants.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    IMG_0840.jpg
    I was happy with the accuracy I obtained from my Romy rebuild. I zeroed at 25m and was happy with what I got. I double checked at 100m and again at 200m and realized it is off a tad to the right. I will attempt to correct the windage but will probably bring a ballpeen hammer as my movement was frozen probably from the park job.

DaCoach

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Greenwood
    Thank you for all of your responses. I am really worried about buying one that is junk. Would it be worth my while to increase my budget a little and pursue a more "custom" AK (something like a Krebs)?

sprshggy07

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    Terre Haute
    Thank you for all of your responses. I am really worried about buying one that is junk. Would it be worth my while to increase my budget a little and pursue a more "custom" AK (something like a Krebs)?

I wouldn't go that route. Those are just decked out with gadgets and gizmos, no real increase in functionality.

1nthechmber

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2012
    I've put about 2,000 rounds through my Arsenal SLR 107 cr and am in a 3" group
    At 100 yrds all day with a cheap red dot....these rifles are cheap to upgrade and tac.out too
    I went through Plainfield shooting supplies and they found it online,and did all the purchasing for me too,without any fee either....I ended up paying about $995.....then at the Indy 1500 saw the rifle for $975
    Figured I still got a pretty good deal......it has never jammed,and I'm getting good brown bear from Aim.com for about $4.39 a box of 20

Top Bottom