• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    So I showed you how to build your own AK T-Jig a few weeks ago for installing a barrel on your receiver using a steel bar, grade 8 bolts, and JB Weld. I was never fully satisfied how I built T-Jig 1.0 so after I cracked the JB weld, I decided to rebuild it. This is the same T steel, I just sanded the JB Weld off.

tjig2_no_bolt.jpg

T-Jig 2.0 is a simpler design and now allows for the bolt to be in the front trunnion during install. Why is that helpful? I can now headspace virgin barrels faster and more reliably. The hole is larger than the bolt diameter to allow the T-Jig to flex when under press and not bind to bolt. Since the bolt heads are on the backside of the T-Jig, I had to add a small piece of steel to the other T side so the jig is level. Duct tape is your friend here.

tjig2_bolt.jpg

To headspace, strip the bolt, install the GO gauge, install the stripped bolt/T-jJig and turn the bolt lug clockwise so it is in the bolt closed position. Slowly pull the press handle. When the barrel is pressed far enough, you should feel the resistance and/or hear it pop into place. Stop immediately or you will damage the bolt. Be very careful while pressing with the bolt in. Always make sure the T-Jig isn't binding on the bolt by jiggling the bolt slightly in the trunnion after each pull.

tjig2_press.jpg

After it was in place, I pulled the rifle out of the press. I checked the NO GO gauge and it barely turned so it would not close. Tomorrow I will drill and install the new oversized barrel pin, front sight, and drill the pins. That will finish the AK74 build until I Duracoat.

Top Bottom