• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    I purchased a wasr this winter and really like the gun. it was cheap, its easy to clean and maintain, and its a blast to shoot. however, i bought a rifle with the mindframe that it would be a long range accurate weapon, and while i know that expecting a cheap ak to be a model of accuracy is unrealistic, i still would like to have a long range, where i can really take my time and zero it in... anyways, i guess one of my main issues is the sights, they just dont have a really good pinpoint feel to them, are there any ways i can improve my iron sights and be able to turn my ak into a more precise rifle??? i would be grateful for any imput regarding the aks accuracy and what i can to to the gun and my own shooting practices to improve my long range accuracy...

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    This is what I know.

AK47 - you can hit the side of a barn if you are inside the barn.
    AR - you can hit the side of a barn if you are inside of 600 yards.
    Mosin Nagant - you can hit the side of a barn if you are inside the county.

You can buy better front site posts to help or get a scope to improve accuracy. In general a wasr ak is an entry level ak, not know for great accuracy at a long distance. If you are shooting left at 100 yards strike the left side of the barrel with a large rock until the desired accuracy is achieved.

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    First off :welcome: to :ingo:

Second I also have a WASR10. They are not known to be the most accurate rifle on the block. I can hit 10/10 rounds on a paper plate at 100 yards no problem. Once I get to 150 yards its usually around 7-8/10. At 200 yards I start missing more than hitting. That is with open sights from bench rest. The 7.62x39 round itself wasn't built for accuracy from what I've heard around the campfire. At beyond 300 yards its performance tanks compared to most modern rifle calibers. The rifle was built to not shoot beyond 300 yards really since most armies found that infantry would not engage at beyond 300 yards even with rifles such as M1 Garand, K98 Mauser, Lee Enfield, etc, etc.

To increase my accuracy with my WASR10 I added a micro red dot on the receiver. This helped my accuracy to where I was getting 9-10/10 hits on a paper plate at 150-200 yards. You could also look into getting new iron sights with illuminated reticle and such for higher visibility. Possibly a new trigger could help also. And practice, practice, practice!!!!

Personal Philosophy
    The AR15 is for shooting something on the move at 400 yards. The AK47 is for killing everything in the room.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    When Mr. Kalashnikov designed his great rifle, the idea was for a simple, reliable weapon that could hold an 8 inch group at 150 yards. While this isn't the same as a good Remington or Savage bolt rifle, cut out an 8 inch circle of paper and hold it over your chest to get an idea of what Mr. K. was wanting. The AKM does a fine job of doing what it was designed to do.

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    When Mr. Kalashnikov designed his great rifle, the idea was for a simple, reliable weapon that could hold an 8 inch group at 150 yards. While this isn't the same as a good Remington or Savage bolt rifle, cut out an 8 inch circle of paper and hold it over your chest to get an idea of what Mr. K. was wanting. The AKM does a fine job of doing what it was designed to do.

This

but with my experience my AK74 is much more accurate and fun to shoot than my Wasr underfolder ever was and thats all IMO you mileage may very . . . . . . . . wait I take that mileage thing back . . sorry guys I was starting to sound like fancy nuts or whatever he calls himself :D

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    I know that my Yugo is very accurate for AKs.... my AK74 is close to AR accuracy, a fixed stock and better sights would probably bump it up to equal an AR at 100 yds.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site

is this good for 100yds for an AK

DSCN6003.jpg

10 shots WOLF steel case

last rds outside the 4x5 black shoot n see were semi-rapid shots.

ARSENAL SGL
    S5031019.jpg

Orange skeet's sitting at the 189 yard backstop a have NO chance with this optic.....

Last edited:

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    is this good for 100yds for an AK YES !!!

DSCN6003.jpg

10 shots WOLF steel case

last rds outside the black shoot n see were semi-rapid shots.

ARSENAL SGL
    S5031019.jpg

Orange skeet's sitting at the 189 yard backstop a have NO chance with this optic.....
    I need that for my Tantal !!! Very nice !!!

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Most Kalashnikov variants (save the sniper variants) are made to hit someplace in the torso out to 200 meters.

Any more precision than that is gravy.

Josh

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have a Maadi ARM AK. They where built by Russians on Russian machinery. At 100 yards I can group almost as well as I can with my M4. AK's are like other rifles. You get what you pay for. You can get Tech sights for the AK. It has passed my mind once or twice to buy some, but I have yet to pull the trigger.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    some options you may consider are tech sights, tws railed top cover, and krebs ghost rings. The first two extend the sight radius, the second gives more of a "rifle" sight if that's what you're into.

454comp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    i have a Saiga (unconverted) and it shoots a little to the right ( the rifle of course.... it couldn't be the shooter) i my thought is if i can't hit my driver 300 yards im not going to hit my target at 300 yards. not sure the AK was ment for long range

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Ive always herd AK's were ment to put lead down range, and do it reliably. not really know for great accuracy. But the ones Ive shot wernt to bad out to bout 75yrds

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I own a WASR, and if I do my part, it will put 3 round groups inside a circle made from tracing a Quarter at 50 yards. Normally, without any serious concentration, it will reliably hit a 50% man size target at 200 yards. From what I have seen, I was lucky with my rifle. If the sights are giving you trouble, first try a little sight black, or black out the front post with a lighter. If that doesnt help, there was a company that made a replacement rear ghost ring sight for the AK platform.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    Coleco vision

Got one of these?
    images

You have canted sights, poor vision, wacky wasr's and everything in between, want to further your vision, plink those plates like a Pro with ease:popcorn:

Might I suggest something like these below, attach it to that rail and then see how good you are with your mess.

10f6vtj.jpg

images
    images

3z6utqf.jpg

KobraEKP-1S-03.jpg

wanna go further?

get yourself a PSOP
    is.aspx

I have found Steel City Armory to be the best price in Russian optics and rails

Last edited:
    Top Bottom