• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    While visiting our capitol city this weekend my better half and I were walking downtown after dark when a man who was walking the opposite direction across the street carrying an umbrella, crossed the street once he passed us then started up behind us.

My better half without me having to say a word speed up and crossed over from my strong side and stayed where she was in my shadow of him. As she did so he broke the 30 foot perimeter and I instinctively unzipped my jacket and with my weak side hand reached in and uncovered my main weapon which was OWB being CC'd by my shirt and then with my strong hand I reached to it and clicked the safety off showing the weapon as I did so without making too big of a show about it. Once that happened the man slowed his then quick pace and fell back and eventually crossed the street back to about where I first picked him up in my awareness zone.

The situation in my mind and with my training made me go to Alert Level Orange when he crossed the street and came in behind us, I went to Condition Zero when he stepped inside the 30 foot radius comfort zone I like to operate in.

At 30 feet I know that most men of this guys size, 6'2" to maybe 6'4" easy 250 pounds can cover and I can still draw, get a sight picture, verify back drop and pull a stopping shot off.

I believe I was warranted in openly showing this potential threat that I was armed to the teeth and would stop any advance with deadly force.

After the guy fell back and crossed back over the street I realized it was a homeless guy whom we had seen camping out on a street corner during a walk this morning to a local restaurant. No matter we got to dinner and back to our hotel safely and I don't really give a crap if someone considers what I did as being "brandishing" or not.

Just figured I would share this experience, its been a long time since I was in orange zero!

Last edited:

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    I wouldn't worry about anyone that says you were "brandishing" since there is no brandishing law. He was acting suspicious and you stopped any possible threat without having to draw your weapon. I say thats a job well done.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    One more of Kleck's 2.5 million DGUs. Possible mugging averted, no one injured. (though if he did mean you harm, he probably had to go find a place to change his pants.)

Job well done. :thumbsup:

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom